• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndianasFinest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Salem
    I've been outside practicing pretty much all summer getting ready for bow season, and was curious to what kind of groups you guys average at 30 yards ? This will be my 4th season bow hunting, and my 2nd with my new bow (Bear Element). I was shooting a PSE nova for the first two years, and my 30 yard groups seemed to be tighter with the longer nova compared to the Bear. Tens, and twentys I can pretty much stack my arrows, but at 30 I have been averaging about 5" groups. What do you guys think ? I want to be sure if I take a shot at 30 my shot will be a sufficient, and an ethical kill shot. Practicing on a 3D deer target seems to help me focus a bit better, but I'm still uncertain.

captpaul

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 9, 2008
    Indy
    The killzone is 8"-10" diameter on a good broadside or slightly quartering away shot. I honestly practice very little, maybe a 2 months before bow season every year. As the season nears I will shoot one arrow a day at varying angles and distances at my 3D target. This helps me be confident that my first shot will be good. Shot selection is key and I rarely shoot past 25 yards in the woods. There is always another day, no sense in taking a questionable shot. Sounds like you are shooting very well. Good luck to you this season!

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I've been outside practicing pretty much all summer getting ready for bow season, and was curious to what kind of groups you guys average at 30 yards ? This will be my 4th season bow hunting, and my 2nd with my new bow (Bear Element). I was shooting a PSE nova for the first two years, and my 30 yard groups seemed to be tighter with the longer nova compared to the Bear. Tens, and twentys I can pretty much stack my arrows, but at 30 I have been averaging about 5" groups. What do you guys think ? I want to be sure if I take a shot at 30 my shot will be a sufficient, and an ethical kill shot. Practicing on a 3D deer target seems to help me focus a bit better, but I'm still uncertain.

I don't take a shot at a live animal I couldn't put in a snuff can every shot on the range at home. Don't matter if it's a bow, pistol, rifle or shotgun, the heart is the same size no matter what you are shooting at. The lungs are just plan B, a back up second chance in case of a twig I don't see, a animal flinching at the last moment, miss judged yardage, what ever.

There are dozens of variables in the field, push to the absolute limits you are capable in the best conditions and you are going to be wounding and chasing deer.

Set your target in front of a rock pile or concrete wall and shoot $5 apiece arrows at it and see how far away you are confident of your shots. Mine sits on a stone table and nothing but forrest behind it. Low and the arrow is wrecked, off to either side or high and it's almost surely lost.

...but it's all up to you. Know plenty of guys packing around 8 or 9 arrows in their quiver including one or two "Hail Mary" beat up aluminum arrows they don't mind losing in case they see a deer out there where they know they have no business shooting.

No law against it.

Last edited:

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    i shoot a bear element and shoot 3 inch groups at 30 yds. i do pratice alot but in my mind the key to shooting a bow is dont worry so much about getting that pin exactly in the center of the bull at 30 yards get it with in a inch and let it fly.

if you spend extra time at full draw at 10 yds your shaking wont effect the arrow placment as much as it does at 30. figure if your shaking effects the arrow at 10 yds 1 inch at 10 yrs its 3 inches at 30

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    im like some of you guys to a extent. i can hit the vitals on a deer TARGET at 60 yds 99% of the time the problem is when shooting at live game the bull isn't where it usto be after you figure in 60 yds of flight time.

i enjoy shooting 60 yards at a target but in the field at live game 45 yards is my max distance. even though i can kill the target at 60

Top Bottom