• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • .356luger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    martinsville
    Here is a bullet that has from what i have seen died in recent years. I have a decent understanding of why. The adoption of the .223 with the military makes for surplus ammo coupled with the black gun phenomenon. I think basically it had a regretion from its popularity after the korean war when guns and ammo were cheap. It also has marks against it in the bullet diversity and lack of other platforms. Other than the ruger blackhawk I dont know of any other guns that carry this caliber. The last issue is reloading i have heard from multiple people it is a pain to reload the tappered case.

My next question is why not make another gun that is cheaper than the carbine but chambered in the round? If there was a $300 gun on the market semi auto in this caliber i would buy one. That is of also not including the universal carbine with the aluminum receiver. I dont care for the aluminum black that cracks and peals over time and use. Then someone could make a hollow point instead of the FMJ that is necessary for carbine function.

The last question is what platform would you like to see it in a bolt action, pistol, sub machine gun? Ive been having an interesting conversation with one of my buddies on all the subjects above and thought perhaps someone else would like to join in the mix.

Last edited:

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    I don't think it has died, it's just not as popular as it was and not as popular as the .223 round.

Biggest thing I think is the demand issue: Low ammo demand, gun manufacturers aren't going to rush out to make a new gun for that caliber. Heck, if I was in a "perfect" situation, I would start a company and make the Israeli Magal (.30 M1 Carbine rifle, AKish, I think uses M1 carbine mags) for US usage. But I don't think the sales numbers would be there for it to be profitable.

The Ruger Blackhawk in .30 M1 has been discontinued, AMT used to make the Automag in .30 M1. Not a ton of guns outside of M1 carbine pattern exist for the cartridge. If anything, I would like to see more diverse pistol caliber carbines in the M1 Carbine format, such as a .357 semi-auto carbine, but that's pipe dreaming. I would like to see more M1 Carbine style guns (as opposed to constant flow of AKs or ARs) instead of more .30 M1 carbine calibered guns.

.30 M1 IS available in better than FMJ rounds, such as Federal and others making softpoints or Corbon's DPX line. Tapered cases aren't hard to reload and .30 M1 is not any different in difficulty. If you can handload .30 M1, you have a world of new ammo that is available. Anything from cheap FMJ (as Wolf has a bad rep amoung M1 carbine owners) to HP to SP to subcaliber "sabot" rounds!

What is a bolt pistol sub machinegun?

All in all, don't bury it yet, but also don't expect a resurgence of popularity unless a cheap source of the guns (Cmon South Korea) comes in. 5.56 has taken it's place and will be around for a while. :twocents:

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    I've been dying for a SU-30 Carbine that uses GI mags.

Please write Kel-Tec and ask them to make one; I have.

A 7.62x25 Tokarev carbine would be an acceptable substitute, almost. I'd love .45 Win Mag carbine too. As an alternate, a Mini 30 converted to .45 Win Mag would be a wonderful thing. but probably a Kel-Tec in 5.45x39 would be far more popular.

I guess the people that make guns just don't think like me.

If Kel-Tec made them I'd buy all of them.

.356luger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    martinsville
    fixed the typo on the super bolt pistol submachine gun haha. Oh i fully agree on a .357 in the carbine platform that would be awesome. I also had a AMT lightning for a while sold it for feed problems made me not want one again.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    My only fear with the Tok cartridge is when the surplus dries up. I would hope ammo manufacturers would catch up and make it reasonably priced, instead of "seasonal" runs. A Tok carbine, take that back, a RELIABLE Tok carbine would be awesome (the converted PPSH's seem to have finiky tastes from some of the reviews). An inexpensive, high tech looking (preferably NON folding) Keltec would be badarse! :D

Security122

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2010
    Southside of Indy
    ...I would like to see more diverse pistol caliber carbines in the M1 Carbine format, such as a .357 semi-auto carbine, but that's pipe dreaming. I would like to see more M1 Carbine style guns (as opposed to constant flow of AKs or ARs) instead of more .30 M1 carbine calibered guns...

I used to have a Universal .30 M1 and loved shooting it, but I traded it for what I don't remember. I really like the Ruger PC9 and PC40 carbines, because of their similarity to the .30 M1, but both of these were MD'd years ago. Apparently they were not popular enough for Ruger.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I have always enjoyed shooting the "pistol cartridge" carbines. I know .30 carbine is not exactly a pistol cartridge but close enough. I agree that it is too bad that somebody is not making an updated version of the M1, or something similar. Maybe a Ruger 10/22 in in .38 special or .38 super. They had something similar in .44 magnum. Put a set of peep sights or fiber optic open sights on the carbine and price it less then $400 and I think it would sell.

yenningcomity

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Tarus used to make the raging thirty which was on the raging bull frame, but it is discontinued.

I sold my m1 because of the costs. The surplus seems to have dried up. Even reloading it is not a cheap round (some m1's don't like lead). Out of a pistol its cheap, but unless you are going for the loudest gun at the range there isn't a point.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    As was pointed out CorBon loads the 30 Carbine in the DPX line, Federal and Remington do sof points and a handful of companies do FMJ....there is ammo all over the place for them. You want a pistol? As you said there is the Ruger but AMT AutoMag III is a slick semi-auto. Universal made a Pump called the Vulcan, you can find them on gunbroker at times and Marlin made their Lever-matic in 30 carbine, again you just need to keep an open eye out for them.

You have several companies doing folding stocks, scope mounts for both normal and scout configurations, inexpensive mags, and reloading is no harder than loading 38 Super.

Seems to be alive and kicking to me!

CandRFan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Kokomo
    I have always enjoyed shooting the "pistol cartridge" carbines. I know .30 carbine is not exactly a pistol cartridge but close enough. I agree that it is too bad that somebody is not making an updated version of the M1, or something similar. Maybe a Ruger 10/22 in in .38 special or .38 super. They had something similar in .44 magnum. Put a set of peep sights or fiber optic open sights on the carbine and price it less then $400 and I think it would sell.

Auto-Ordnance builds three versions of the M1...two are, of course, the combat versions of the Carbine and one is a "tactical" side folder. They aren't in the $400 price range though...

Auto-Ordnance | Products | Long Guns, M1

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I think the .30 carbine round has about 1 1/2 times the power of the .357 Magnum.
    I bought a Ruger Mini 14 to have a gun very much like the M 1 carbine in size and weight that shoots more powerful, cheaper ammo.

tooleman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jul 31, 2010
    That would be awsome to have .30 carbine mag and ammo choices. i could bring my m1 out and start shooting it again.

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    I love my M1 Carbine, lots of fun... basically the same ballistics of the 357 magnum.

Now if someone would come out with a light weight carbine like it that was in 357 mag/38spcl. that would be the cat's meow... Also love my pistol caliber carbines, but the only thing I can find in that style firearm that shoots 357 is the levers...

Steve09

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2009
    Mooresville
    My first rifle was a 30 cal lever action marlin. I suppose its rare cause I havent seen that many of them. I have shot alot of hogs with it in Florida. Very nice shooter.

SAMSON

Marksman
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Indy, Southside
    Carbine ammo

Winchester or Remington marketed some HP ammo for the 30 carbine but I haven't seen any in a while. Would like to just be able to get military ball at a reasonable price. I've got an Iver Johnson Enforcer that I love to shoot but can't seem to keep ammo. on hand. It's an awesome little compact pistol and would make an outstanding SBR with the addition of a folder. Dream on!!

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I think the .30 carbine round has about 1 1/2 times the power of the .357 Magnum. . . .

Based on what?

The .357 mag acheives similar velocities as the 30 carbine from carbine length barrels (even with heavier bullets). Velocities of the two cartridges are also similar from pistol length barrels.

So, simply put, the .30 carbine is not 1.5 times as powerful at the .357 mag. Being a cartridge of smaller caliber with a lower max pressure (the 30 carbine), it cannot be. Comparing .357 mag from a handgun to .30 carbine in a rifle is comparing apples to oranges.

BBTI - 357 Mag
    .30 Carbine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Based on what?

The .357 mag acheives similar velocities as the 30 carbine from carbine length barrels (even with heavier bullets). Velocities of the two cartridges are also similar from pistol length barrels.

So, simply put, the .30 carbine is not 1.5 times as powerful at the .357 mag. Being a cartridge of smaller caliber with a lower max pressure (the 30 carbine), it cannot be. Comparing .357 mag from a handgun to .30 carbine in a rifle is comparing apples to oranges.

BBTI - 357 Mag
    .30 Carbine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I stand corrected.
    I was indeed comparing pistol and carbine and, as you say, that is inappropriate.

redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    I have an 80's Universal M1 Carbine that I don't shoot because ammo is too expensive compaired to 5.56, or 7.62x39.

D.T.O.M.

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 27, 2009
    martinsville
    My first semi auto rifle was an Iver Johnson M1 (wish I still had it!) Then I found and bought a Ruger Blackhawk in 30 cal. I enjoyed shooting both of them. I have also had a Universal 30 cal. I would like to find another one and Hot Rod it up with one of the stocks that Thompson sales.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    My next question is why not make another gun that is cheaper than the carbine but chambered in the round?

Because they didn't sell. There's the Automag, the Kimball, the Blackhawk and, of course, the T/C Contender.

The market likes the .30 carbine in a certain envelope. So be it.

Based on experience with my nephew's gun, if you buy a Kahr carbine, I recommend a vigorous break in. Lube it up with Tetra Gun and run the bolt a bunch.

The last question is what platform would you like to see it in a bolt action, pistol, sub machine gun?

I, personally, would not. I am not a .30 carbine fan. If you are going to have a weapon that takes up so much space *Kirk holds hands carbine length apart*, then fill it with a .223 or a .44 mag lever action. But that's just me.

I do have quite a bit of trigger time with the M2 carbine. It was very fun!

Last edited:
    Top Bottom