• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Based on conversations I have had with WWII and Korean War GIs who used the M1 Carbine it left an awful lot to be desired. They all told me they could do much more damage to the enemy with a .45 ACP, which is what the M1 Carbine supposedly replaced for the rear echelon troops. If one needs a small light shoulder weapon a .44 Mag. carbine would be a better choice.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I saw in a gun magazine a year or so ago (I think) where someone had modified an M1 Carbine to 5.56. Obviously it was an extensive rebuild, but I'll bet it would be fun to shoot...

swissrifles1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    Near South Bend
    Love my 2 USGI m1 carbines.(National Postal Meter, Inland) a pleasure to shoot ,accurate to 100 yrds or so, commercial ammo is about $21-19.00 a box of 50. Get one if you can. I do wish more ammo were being produced.

pix254326234.jpg

pix254326000.jpg

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Based on conversations I have had with WWII and Korean War GIs who used the M1 Carbine it left an awful lot to be desired. They all told me they could do much more damage to the enemy with a .45 ACP, which is what the M1 Carbine supposedly replaced for the rear echelon troops. If one needs a small light shoulder weapon a .44 Mag. carbine would be a better choice.

+1. Troops were ravenous for the M1 Carbine, until they had to to shoot it at someone.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Man, I can remember the first time I went deer hunting (in southern Missouri) with my dad, I was about 10 years old and we borrowed an M1 carbine from a friend for me to take out. It was a blast to shoot, even for a wimpy kid. Never got a deer that year, but had a fun time shooting. If I had only known back then what I had in my hands, I would have never given it back.

(I did end up getting a deer the next year after I bought a Ruger .243 with money I had saved up from mowing)

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    It's not that I don't want them its that I don't trust them... 60 year old military ammo just seems like a bad idea...

I've got a lot of .45's from the 60's that I trust completely, because all 250 or so that I have already fired went "bang."
    I'd make them prove they were bad.:D

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    It's not that I don't want them its that I don't trust them... 60 year old military ammo just seems like a bad idea...

I have shot mil-surp that old and older...doesn't bother me in the least. As long as there isn't any corrosion on the brass and it has been stored well it should not only be safe but it hould shoot as well as it did when it was manufactured.

Top Bottom