• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    I'm building a new AR that will likely be used for 3 gun competitions at some point. I have a couple of questions for those of you that compete in 3 gun or multigun.

Slings - What do you think is the best type of sling? 2 point or 1 point? Are you in situations often enough that a 1 point sling confers you with the ability to quickly move from carrying to aiming? Or does that never really factor in and you prefer 2 point for the added stability when shooting? Which sling do you use/prefer, and why?

Stocks - I'm probably just going to get a MagPul CTR unless you guys feel there is some added benefit to any of the other styles. Which stock do you prefer and why?

Thanks

Last edited:

pranavdc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Vickers or Vtac for sling. VTAC 2-point padded sling seems to be one of the more used. Don't go single point as you will have your rifle flying all over and most likely get hit in the Jimmy by the grip. As far as stock it seems that the Magpul ACS is the stock of choice. I have one and love it also have a SopMod stock and like it but by far the ACS is a superior piece of kit!

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    You might check with the local match directors, but I haven't used a sling in a match yet in this state. I have one (V-Tac padded) just in case.

Stocks - I've always run an A2. Simple, tough, and one less thing to go wrong. My next rifle will have either another A2 or an ACE Skeleton.

BillD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Greenwood
    Ditto on the no sling. I've never been required to sling a rifle or a shotgun at any 3 gun match. You ditch em and move on.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    typically dont need a sling for 3-gun, but I have shot some where they were needed... imo a 1-point is inadequte as it does not maintain control of the muzzle well enough to prevent sweeping of the peanut gallery or yourself, so a 2-point v-tac or similar is the way to go to make sure there's no DQ. And trying to run and gun w/ a rifle hanging from a single point busting you in the knees and balls doesn't seem fun...

as for stocks, i just finished a build for a 3-gun purposes using an A2 rifle stock. Simple, cheap, rigid, comfortable cheek weld, etc. I've found my adjustable stocks stay at about the same length as an A2 95% of the time anyway....

-rvb

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Like the others have said, very few 3-gun and multi-gun matches will require the use of the sling and there will be few occasions where it will of any advantage to you. In quite a few multi-gun stages, a sling will cost you a lot of time if you're trying to use it since you will have to either leave the rifle at one place or retrieve it from another. Except for some longer range shots (unusual in Indiana), you won't be using a supporting sling either. You shouldn't need it and even a hasty sling will cost you too much time not just in wrapping your arm, but also slowing your target-to-target transitions.

I only use mine to help transport my rifle around the range when I am shooting a match.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Fixed stocks are great . . . if they fit you.

I use collapsible stocks because the A1 stock is too long for me and the A2 is way too long for me (and it's too long for most people for this kind of shooting).

Top Bottom