• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Suffering through pepper spray, smoke, darkness, and sudden bursts of light, all while simultaneously being deafened by gun shots in a fairly enclosed area with no ear pro, and they still managed to protect their loved ones. That's tough stuff. The boys families should be ever proud, as should the families of the girlfriends to know that their daughters are capable of picking good men. Good on them.

Amen

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Depending on the decisions made at that instant, I just might separate from my family... so that any fire returned against me as I engage the "joker" is not drawn to my fam.... do you simply become a human shield, or try to stop him (possibly drawing his fire to you)?

Easy to say "you don't know what you'd do," but by having thought about it ahead of time, there's a better chance you'll do what you hope you'd do. Still not certain, but better than sitting here today thinking "I don't know what I'd do."

That said, if I'm not directly under fire (ie in a different room), I'm first heading for an exit (with the fam).

Kudos to these men for protecting others first.

-rvb

Last edited:

EvilBlackGun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   1
    Apr 11, 2011
    Mid-eastern
    I know how shooting out of a gas-mask feels, and limits me. So I'd have tried for a peripheral move, but I was not there. Not all soldiers are cowards, but one may need shot in the back to stop the defection of a dozen more. I was there.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    unreal, who would leave their child behind:xmad:

That guy is a coward POS. :xmad:

I'm wondering what type of trailer dweller takes their infant son to a midnight movie in the first place?

Daughter, choose your husband wisely.

I read his side of the story; sounds like he lost the child in the rush. Kinda tough to call a man a coward unless you've stood in his shoes and acted differently. Deliberately abandoning a child - especially a young child - is reprehensible, but losing track of one in a dark theater where people are scrambling for their lives is probably just unfortunate.

On the other hand, such actions shouldn't be considered unusual in a place where law-abiding citizens are required to go about unarmed when criminals may arm themselves like a SWAT team with apparent impunity. The sort of mindset that gravitates to such a place should be pitied; not reviled.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Those girls and their famlies have much to be thankful for. The boys may have lived short lives, but they can no longer be called boys, they are men in the most noble sense of the word. I am 55 years old, and I can only hope that I would show that kind of courage under the same circumstances. I hope I am never put to that test.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    That guy is a coward POS. :xmad:

Maybe so-

But until you've demonstrated that incoming fire would make you do something other than wet yourself, run, or sit paralyzed in a puddle of tears, you might wish to refrain from judgment.

If you've so demonstrated already, then my apologies.

Glock19

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 17, 2012
    NE Indianapolis
    I read his side of the story; sounds like he lost the child in the rush. Kinda tough to call a man a coward unless you've stood in his shoes and acted differently. Deliberately abandoning a child - especially a young child - is reprehensible, but losing track of one in a dark theater where people are scrambling for their lives is probably just unfortunate.

On the other hand, such actions shouldn't be considered unusual in a place where law-abiding citizens are required to go about unarmed when criminals may arm themselves like a SWAT team with apparent impunity. The sort of mindset that gravitates to such a place should be pitied; not reviled.
    I said something similar and got a few nasty pms......everyone goes with the lynchmob without knowing the facts...

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    I can agree it may have been possible to lose his child in the theater. However, when he was out of the theater, out of the line of fire, he knew his children and wife were in there still he got in the car and drove away?!
    None of us know how we would react in that situation. I do know that I wouldn't drive away until I either had my family or knew where they were.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I can agree it may have been possible to lose his child in the theater. However, when he was out of the theater, out of the line of fire, he knew his children and wife were in there still he got in the car and drove away?!
    None of us know how we would react in that situation. I do know that I wouldn't drive away until I either had my family or knew where they were.

I agree with your choice of actions, but I've seen folks so dazed by a disaster that they wander around aimlessly, not tracking with what is happening.

Understand, I'm not defending cowardice - and the whole story seems to indicate that - but people do irrational things amidst and in the aftermath of a disaster. We'll probably never hear about the men who trampled women trying to get out of the theater, but it probably happened.

As someone said upthread, we're training our youth to be passive in the face of personal violence; internet commenting and texting tend to reinforce the passive/aggressive tendencies of some folks who can be really abrasive online, but pretty meek if you confront them face-to-face (and no, I'm not making a comment about ANYONE on INGO).

Having been robbed at gunpoint in my youth, and having experienced getting shot at and seeing tracers come near me, and having received some really good firearms training, I'm still only PRETTY sure that I'll respond properly to a situation where my firearm might be needed; probably most people who've never experienced that particular level of stress can say that and be truthful. (Once again, not referring to ANYONE on INGO). That's why I'm so willing to give folks the benefit of the doubt.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    Lots of brave people in here love to tell what they wouldve done. Id expect half to crap their pants and run. Nobody knows if he intentionally "LEFT" the kid. might of dropped him in the shuffling....untill youve been in a flight or fight situation, please dont start the bragging..

He said himself, he felt the baby would attract attention to him, so he put the baby down. He then proceeded to not only get out only of the theatre, but drive away. That's not accidental or unintentional or whatever you want to call it.

JustAMom

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 23, 2012
    Beech Grove, IN
    The definition of Coward - A person that lacks the courage to do or endore dangerous or unpleasant things.....

He ran away, because he was afraid his infant sons crying would draw attention to himself.

He is also the village idiot, because he gave all of these interviews.

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    Let's get back to the subject. If someone wants to make a thread about the man who left his baby behind, go ahead. This thread is about 3 men who died for the women they loved. There's no greater sacrifice than to give your life for your love one.

Last edited:

jdwhitak

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    I think these three men were foolish to give their lives for someone they are dating. They weren't married or had children together. As for all dying for dying for someone they love comments, we don't know that. This could have been the booty call that night for these guys.

Furthermore more why does everyone consider a woman's life to be automatically more valuable than a mans's? This is the 21st century. Women are independent and equal. They should have equal opportunity to get shot in a theater or die on a battlefield.

marcum man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 20, 2012
    Bourbon
    I think these three men were foolish to give their lives for someone they are dating. They weren't married or had children together. As for all dying for dying for someone they love comments, we don't know that. This could have been the booty call that night for these guys.

Furthermore more why does everyone consider a woman's life to be automatically more valuable than a mans's? This is the 21st century. Women are independent and equal. They should have equal opportunity to get shot in a theater or die on a battlefield.

You must be the brother of the coward who left his wife and children in the theatre.

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI

Those 3 men obviously cared about their women enough that they'd shield them with their own bodies, taking rounds and dying in the process. Don't know if they had planned on dying, but they put their lives on the line. Marriage with children has nothing to do with anything. Men protect women. It's what comes natural. As a species, we are naturally incline to be soft on women, no matter what modern advance societies we try to make. It is simple nature. If I take my girl to see a movie, "booty call" or not, there has to be a level of trust to begin with. Yeah, go on with the 21st century look. Women are equal and they can be independent people alongside men, but men are naturally soft to women. Equal opportunity to die? Really? that's just a terrible way of thinking. You put yourself in that position. You go out with a girl you like and she's in danger, and you're telling me you WON'T protect her because she needs to have an equal opportunity to be in danger as much as you?"

Last edited:

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I think the key here is "He drove away"

yes he could have accidentally dropped/put down the baby in the ruckus, but he drove away. When he was out of the line of fire, he drove away

That's the thing that amazed me. He got out of the theater, got in his car and left, while his girlfriend and their two kids were still fighting for their lives. I cannot fathom how someone could do that.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN

People protect what is most important to them. Sadly, a coward protects himself since that's what matters most. My guess is that you'll do fine if you ever find yourself in that situation. Your family might not fare as well though.

Top Bottom