• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    We had a similar call to my wife's cell phone the other night at about that time. Number came up as "Private Number." She answered and nothing doing, no noise, no nothing.

My $$$ is on some sort of automated dialing system dialing random numbers, looking for something. What it is looking for I don't know.

Last edited:

handgun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2012
    Central part of This state
    Yea no number comes up.
    So let me get this straight, Nothing shows up on caller id. not private, blocked, or unknown. Just completely blank? Does the caller ID log it as a phone call such as time and date? Do you let the phone ring more than 2 rings before you answer if blank? And when you pick up the line is just dead.. no sounds or static just dead silent air? A lot of questions but there is a purpose!

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    So let me get this straight, Nothing shows up on caller id. not private, blocked, or unknown. Just completely blank? Does the caller ID log it as a phone call such as time and date? Do you let the phone ring more than 2 rings before you answer if blank? And when you pick up the line is just dead.. no sounds or static just dead silent air? A lot of questions but there is a purpose!

If I were him, I'd set up booby traps everywhere and carry to bed. Someone must be listening to them breathe :n00b:

handgun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2012
    If I were him, I'd set up booby traps everywhere and carry to bed. Someone must be listening to them breathe :n00b:
    Are you talking about me? I ask because it could be actually a glitch at the phone company.. but hey.. And its my business if i booby trapped my house, and carry to bed with me.. its aliens not the gov after me..

Tactical Flannel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    West Central Indiana
    We had a similar call to my wife's cell phone the other night at about that time. Number came up as "Private Number." She answered and nothing doing, no noise, no nothing.

My $$$ is on some sort of automated dialing system dialing random numbers, looking for something. What it is looking for I don't know.

Not very condusive to sleeping.
    They're looking for someone to answer. Its an auto dialer system that requires a response to note your number for call back in the future.
    How long has this been going on and when did you start receiving daytime calls from autodialers/tele-marketers?

Stay safe

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.

Comes up unknown. Number on the caller ID. And it logs it. WE are keeping a call log.
    Yes it rings more than 2 times before we pickup. If it rings more than 6 times times the answering system picks up. It will record nothing for.about three minutes before call drops.All we hear is dead air every call.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    Do you say the word "hello" in your greeting? Some autodial systems are triggered by the word and will stay silent until they hear it.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    I just figured out who it is....and they are desperately lonely.

They would have to be to call Hotdoger.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-Naa1HXeDQ[/ame]

handgun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2012
    Comes up unknown. Number on the caller ID. And it logs it. WE are keeping a call log.
    Yes it rings more than 2 times before we pickup. If it rings more than 6 times times the answering system picks up. It will record nothing for.about three minutes before call drops.All we hear is dead air every call.

Okay, you had me running a few different scenarios threw my head of WTH, and then possible other reasons why it would not show up. I am very comforted that it registers on your caller ID as unknown. If the caller ID didn't log anything there could only be a few reasons why, none of which I will go into.

Telecommunications is a rather fascinating thing. The progression of such as well. From the ancient switchboards requiring human intervention to automatic mechanical switch boards (rather noisy) and limited capacity, to analog switch boards, and now supposed digital boards. I am sure there are some "phone company" INGO members that might just be old enough to explain the process better than I can and probably go into all the specs of how it works. :cool: if there is such an INGO member would love to chat it up sometime..

Anyway.. most answering machines work on this principle. Digital, and those ancient cassettes or micro cassette players, and voice mail all have predisposition "time limit" to record time, before it is programmed to terminated the call. I actually had the privilege of seeing/fondling the original answering machine marketed towards a consumer/businesses. It was rather nifty(i do not collect phones or answering machines), it had a record player to play a recorded greeting, and a reel to reel for recording. the device had to have had a mechanical timer on it, and more than likely it did. As it would have to mechanically lower the receiver back onto the phone base, and it did. Anyway after a long (probably boring no one really cared about story) that is the reason why you have a long 3 minute silence song..(pun on the 2 minute silence song by the british royal... anyway). Also, before "caller id" was a house hold item. There was this nifty way you could extract that info via a computer..(tracing program :)) which is still pretty much the same way its done now, so if you had an old program i bet it would still work.

Now here is the great news. Unknown.. can still be traced by the phone company.. they may give you some marlarkie but it can be done, possible new rules of engagement post 9-11 world. But it can be done. Now don't be surprised, if and when you get this phone number from the phone company it will always be busy, and you will get the same courtesy that it gives you answer, silent and hang up.

I know this doesn't help you much, but the phone company should also be able to tell you who owns the number, etc.. UNLESS its UNLISTED. Which means some JERK off is paying extra.. Which not to fear.. you can take legal action.. and get that information pried right out of the phone companies hands.. Then you can take additional actions.

Now you could in theory write a computer program on an older computer that would "screen" your phone calls during such and such time of day, by answering a phone call be for it rings via your house, and if no id is given or unknown, private, blocked, u/a it would immediately hang up. Those identified phone numbers could be pushed through, and your phone would ring ring ring and wake you up. But do you really want to go to that effort?

Okay i am going to stop writing so much because i don't want people thinking i am some kinda :nuts::nuts: job.

TB1999

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    Have any enemies? There are website you can plug someone's phone number into and set how often/when you want these types of calls to go out to them.

Top Bottom