• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Having a good lawyer's phone number alongside your LTCH is important, should any of us (God forbid) have to use our sidearm in self-defense. I'd hazard to guess that many of use don't know any lawyers at all.

Why not gather some good 2A-friendly lawyer recommendations? If I could get a few good phone numbers, I'd be able to give them a call and tell them that since I carry, I need a good lawyer's number should the S. ever H.T.F. I'd imagine we'd talk for 5 minutes, their phone number would go into my wallet, and done.

I don't know about anyone else, but lawyers seem to come in so many flavors these days that I'd probably not be able to trust my results in random yellow pages searches.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    You also want to know a good civil rights lawyer, since many firearms cases also involve violations of other rights, and a good lawyer will know 'em all :)

Or at least know a good lawyer, who knows who all the other lawyers are, which is more what I do, since my lawyer is also my brother in law. Civil rights isn't his "area," but he does know who to go to.

If you carry a gun for self defense, or even keep one in the house, it's a VERY good idea to have the name and number of a lawyer, one you've paid to chat with and make sure he's comfortable getting a three a.m. "I just shot some dude in my bedroom" call. Don't just pick a name out of a hat, research and interview them. Some will give free consultations, some will charge for their time, but even if you are broke, if you need that lawyer it'll be the best money you ever spent.

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    You also want to know a good civil rights lawyer, since many firearms cases also involve violations of other rights, and a good lawyer will know 'em all :)

Or at least know a good lawyer, who knows who all the other lawyers are, which is more what I do, since my lawyer is also my brother in law. Civil rights isn't his "area," but he does know who to go to.

If you carry a gun for self defense, or even keep one in the house, it's a VERY good idea to have the name and number of a lawyer, one you've paid to chat with and make sure he's comfortable getting a three a.m. "I just shot some dude in my bedroom" call. Don't just pick a name out of a hat, research and interview them. Some will give free consultations, some will charge for their time, but even if you are broke, if you need that lawyer it'll be the best money you ever spent.

That's great advice - any tips on where/how to start researching?

I believe lawyers are just like plumbers... they may seem like the right one for you but you need a reference to even trust them...

JNG

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    I'm in the Fort Wayne area. If anyone wants to chat, pm for my contact info.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Check out USCCA. US Concealed Carry Assoc. It's basically a yearly membership type thing and it offers different levels of insurance / legal protection in case you're involved in a self defense shooting. They put you in touch with 2A attorney in your area. Basic Membership gets you something like $15,000 worth of legal coverage.

www.usconcealedcarry.com

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Check out USCCA. US Concealed Carry Assoc. It's basically a yearly membership type thing and it offers different levels of insurance / legal protection in case you're involved in a self defense shooting. They put you in touch with 2A attorney in your area. Basic Membership gets you something like $15,000 worth of legal coverage.

www.usconcealedcarry.com

I would assume lawyers have been found in the 4 years since this thread was posted... :rolleyes:

Top Bottom