• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Inhuntr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2016
    Clinton
    How well would a 25-06 perform deer hunting this year? I know it's a flat shoot round but how is recoil? To much for a 6-7 year old kid to handle? I have no experience at all with rifles other than my AR-15. Thank you

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I volunteered as an instructor at a youth deer hunt last year running their sight in range. Before that day I thought youth season was the greatest idea anyone ever came up with. After that day, I was on the fence. Kids as young as 4 showed up with their 243, and kids as young as 6 showed up with a 308.

These kids developed a flinch that would no be easily cured, and by the end of the day were very unsure of this whole "gun thing". I suggested the 300 BLK to every single parent who's kid had to much gun, and they all told me how great their son/daughter does with the big caliber they already have. I had one parent tell me "my 5 yr old almost hit the paper plate with the 243 at 50 yds. That good for whitetail".

I think what youth season does, is it pushes excited parents to get their kids shooting big guns before their ready. The parents are excited to get their kid hunting, and as a father of a 6 year old, trust me, I know the feeling. I would love nothing more than to put my daughter behind her blackout and take her hunting. Fact of the matter is, she is not ready, and Im not willing to do long term damage to get her out a year early. This year she will be sitting in the stand beside daddy unarmed just like she did last year. I have no doubt there are 6 year olds out there that could handle the blackout, I just don't happen to have one of them, and I think a lot of times parents have a little "wishful thinking" when deciding if their kid is ready. Even if you put the gun handling aside, most kids would feel horrible if they shot a deer, that ran 2 miles, and died slow, and painfully. I honestly dont think my daughter would be bothered by killing a deer (never know until it happens), but I do think it would drive her out of the woods if she made a bad shot, and the kill was not a quick one.

Off of soap box now.

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    I volunteered as an instructor at a youth deer hunt last year running their sight in range. Before that day I thought youth season was the greatest idea anyone ever came up with. After that day, I was on the fence. Kids as young as 4 showed up with their 243, and kids as young as 6 showed up with a 308.

These kids developed a flinch that would no be easily cured, and by the end of the day were very unsure of this whole "gun thing". I suggested the 300 BLK to every single parent who's kid had to much gun, and they all told me how great their son/daughter does with the big caliber they already have. I had one parent tell me "my 5 yr old almost hit the paper plate with the 243 at 50 yds. That good for whitetail".

I think what youth season does, is it pushes excited parents to get their kids shooting big guns before their ready. The parents are excited to get their kid hunting, and as a father of a 6 year old, trust me, I know the feeling. I would love nothing more than to put my daughter behind her blackout and take her hunting. Fact of the matter is, she is not ready, and Im not willing to do long term damage to get her out a year early. This year she will be sitting in the stand beside daddy unarmed just like she did last year. I have no doubt there are 6 year olds out there that could handle the blackout, I just don't happen to have one of them, and I think a lot of times parents have a little "wishful thinking" when deciding if their kid is ready. Even if you put the gun handling aside, most kids would feel horrible if they shot a deer, that ran 2 miles, and died slow, and painfully. I honestly dont think my daughter would be bothered by killing a deer (never know until it happens), but I do think it would drive her out of the woods if she made a bad shot, and the kill was not a quick one.

Off of soap box now.
    Very well said. I agree. My twin sons started off with BB Guns. From 4 years & up their time was mostly consumed with sports (football, baseball, fall baseball, not to mention guitar lessons, and trumpet lessons - wanted them to be well rounded). I also wanted them to understand the value of life & death. Took them fishing and started with cleaning fish when they were very small. Made them practice BB guns repeatedly to improve their shooting skills. Then moved them up to .22LR. Then .38 special, 9mm, .357, .50 cal muzzle loaders, then shotguns, etc. Once they realized that they were good at sports but not future MLB or NFL players they wanted to start deer hunting and reduce a little of the sports. Took them deer hunting at 13 years old when I knew they could handle the kill and when they wanted to do it. I wanted to take them sooner but they were more focused on sports and music which is good to keep youth well rounded. Now they are almost 16 and still want to hunt with me and they have competed in 4-H and other youth shooting clubs the past several years. Each child is different but let the child be a child first and there's always time to hunt deer later.

Onebad06vtx

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Ellettsville
    I have been using a 25 06 out of a pistol for deer in Indiana for twenty years and never have had a problem with it killing deer DRT.
    It shoots flat and packs a punch when using the right bullets.
    I have always used Nosler 100 BT bullets.
    I also have 7 rifles chambered in 2506 and 2506AI. what a great caliber.
    I must say it is a little big for young kids unless loaded down,but it also depends on the kids size and the weight of the rifle.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    1776Defend2ndAmend
    Top Bottom