• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zzephaniah

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2014
    NWI
    I'm looking to pick up a lever action 22lr, something fun and cheap to shoot around the $200-$350 price range. I don't know a whole lot about them. I've been looking into some marlins and Henry's but I know pretty much nothing about the reliability and quality of different lever gun brands. Any thoughts on those two brands or any other brand suggestions?

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    The Henry is among the best of the best. Their lever feel out of the box is like you already spend money to smooth it out. It is out of the box like it has ball bearings in it.

They are also very accurate, and of a high quality build.

I have the large loop carbine and it is one of my plinking favorites.

Kev

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    South Bend
    I have heard many good things on the Henry and I have been shopping for one for awhile now. I've been trying to watch sales as they seem to dip in prices from time to time. If you find a good deal, please copy me on it!

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    The Marlin 39a is the Cadillac of Lever 22's if you are willing to stretch your budget.

Both the ballard rifling and micro-groove rifling are excellent, but I prefer the older ballard style rifling.

Last week there was one at Pop Guns that they said they would take $425 for and it is the older style rifling, but it needs a butt plate. It will be a good gun.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    asothers have said, there are lots of good options out there.
    Didn't ruger make a (quasi) 10/22 that was lever action?
    Older marlins or (new) henry would be my first choices

Indyelmo

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2013
    I grew up with a 39a but when my father passed it was to go to my older sister , she got it and for Xmas several years later her son had it refinished , IT'S NOT THE SAME anymore :(

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    I own both a Marlin 39A and Henry Golden Boy. IMHO one cannot go wrong with either. They are both a joy to shoot and accurate. I can say the Henry cost's less than the Marlin. I say get both. :D

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    The very best is the Winchester 9422.
    The most accurate is the marlin 39a.
    The fastest reload is the 33 degree throw browning bl-22.
    Of those 3 only the browning is still made (I have not seen a marlin 39a new in over a year) and all three are above your budget.
    That leaves the Henry. I would not get the cheapest version as it has/had plastic barrel band and front sight. The frame is zinc Alloy with a cover they can be replaced if it get messed up. Smooth yes. Shoots well enough yes. So you should be happy with it.

Remington made one based on the nylon 66. Ruger made one based on the 10-22. Iver Johnson imported one in single shot and repeater. Marlin made a model 57 to look like the Winchester 88 and Winchester made the 130 with the same look. These are all ok guns with the 96-22 ruger being the most accurate but to me uglier than a 10-22. Mossburg made the palomino which in my opinion might have been the best Mossburg ever made. The palomino should be in the top list above but they are very rare in Indiana.

Since I own one or more of each of these (minus the Henry) I am biased to the marlins and Winchester 9422. To me if I was to get one today I would get a grade II or grade III bl-22 as the fit finish and accuracy is better than any of the other new options. If Henry made a all steel frame with blued sides and got rid of the plastic sights and bands then I think I sod recommend them more. Then again they are American made and produced to meet a price point in the market.

Tobias

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    I have a Browning bl-22 that I love. The short throw on them is awesome, but the factory trigger is horrible! I bought mine used a couple yrs ago for $400 in like new condition.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I have a brand new Henry 22 lever that I bought for my grandkids but is too long for them. It is new in the box unfired. I am going to post it in the classifieds later this week when I get back from a business trip. I'm going to take the funds from the H001 and buy them a H001Y. If anyone is interested shoot me a PM.

95YJ

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2014
    East Of Indy
    I am in Love with my Henry 44 mag...Enough to grab the kids a Henry 22...They shoot great and are smooth as butter...priced right too.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    The very best is the Winchester 9422.
    The most accurate is the marlin 39a.
    The fastest reload is the 33 degree throw browning bl-22.
    Of those 3 only the browning is still made (I have not seen a marlin 39a new in over a year) and all three are above your budget.
    That leaves the Henry. I would not get the cheapest version as it has/had plastic barrel band and front sight. The frame is zinc Alloy with a cover they can be replaced if it get messed up. Smooth yes. Shoots well enough yes. So you should be happy with it.

Remington made one based on the nylon 66. Ruger made one based on the 10-22. Iver Johnson imported one in single shot and repeater. Marlin made a model 57 to look like the Winchester 88 and Winchester made the 130 with the same look. These are all ok guns with the 96-22 ruger being the most accurate but to me uglier than a 10-22. Mossburg made the palomino which in my opinion might have been the best Mossburg ever made. The palomino should be in the top list above but they are very rare in Indiana.

Since I own one or more of each of these (minus the Henry) I am biased to the marlins and Winchester 9422. To me if I was to get one today I would get a grade II or grade III bl-22 as the fit finish and accuracy is better than any of the other new options. If Henry made a all steel frame with blued sides and got rid of the plastic sights and bands then I think I sod recommend them more. Then again they are American made and produced to meet a price point in the market.
    The remington lever action based on the nylon 66 that you mentioned is called a nylon 76. I just saw one yesterday at a gun auction and it went for almost $500! :n00b:

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    The remington lever action based on the nylon 66 that you mentioned is called a nylon 76. I just saw one yesterday at a gun auction and it went for almost $500! :n00b:

Yes a nice return on investment as they were very inexpensive rifles new. My 76 was made in 1963 and sold for 53 dollars. They were made 1962-1964 so only 3 years and you do not see them often. So if one sold for over 500 that is a ten fold increase on value over 50 years. Then again I think the speed master was 66 dollars and the 552 cost 79.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Yes a nice return on investment as they were very inexpensive rifles new. My 76 was made in 1963 and sold for 53 dollars. They were made 1962-1964 so only 3 years and you do not see them often. So if one sold for over 500 that is a ten fold increase on value over 50 years. Then again I think the speed master was 66 dollars and the 552 cost 79.
    You are OLD! :):
    That 76 was the first one that Ive ever seen. Didnt even know the 76 existed. Im 42 yrs young though too.

CharlesGoodnight

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2012
    Fishers, IN
    I went through the same process a few years ago. I bought a Browning BL-22 and stretched my budget a bit. I liked the Henrys, but I was going to keep mine for a lifetime - so an extra $200 was worth it for me. I just think the BL-22 is the highest quality on the standard market.

The receiver on the Henry is aluminum alloy while I believe the Browning is stainless. The Browning is made in Belgium while the Henry is made in Jersey or some N.E. State. Every time I take that Browning out of the safe, I am so happy I spent the extra bucks. Quality, Beauty, and Accuracy.

They will maintain their value....

Top Bottom