• ...and so much more!
  • jcwit

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Dead Center on the End
    Let's discuss some FACTS:

1. Flippers are the minority when it comes to .22LR purchases.
    2. Remove flippers from the equation completely and .22LR will still be missing from the shelves.
    3. The current market price for .22LR is at least 10 cents a round. If it is priced less than that, it sells out quickly.
    4. Everybody and their brother says that once this "shortage" ends, they're going to stock up. It doesn't take a genius to see that this way of thinking is going to exacerbate the situation even more.
    5. Everyone on here pretty much has an equal chance to get .22LR at Wal-Mart, unless you work 7 days a week. If you can't get out of bed and be there at 7AM when it is in stock, then you deserve to pay 10+ cents a round. The same goes for those that feel that they "are better than that and not going lower themselves to such antics". Obviously if you are above that, you can afford to pay the higher price on the secondary market.
    6. There is NO shortage of .22LR, only a shortage of it priced below market value.
    7. Flippers keep ammo available to everyone, while shooters remove it from the market permanently.
    8. Even when priced at $100/1K rounds, it is still way cheaper than 1K rounds of any other caliber.

And you know these as absolute facts HOW?

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Luckygunner's has almost 400,000 rounds of 7.62x39 on it's website right now. If I buy 50,000 rounds today and sell it during the next panic a few years down the road, explain how I'm helping to create an artificial shortage. The emotional who are reduced to tears at the flippers aren't going to differentiate between me and the guy who lucks across a box at Wally and resells it that day for a profit. To the emotional, both of us are denying them of what they want, kick puppies and are front line enemies of the second amendment and will be the subject of the same vitriol.

Let's use easy numbers here. There's 1000'boxes of ammo made each year and the usual demand is 1000 boxes. Each year, I buy 2 boxes. Shoot one and put the other back. The other 998 boxes are shot each year. 5 years from now, there's a shortage and I choose to sell my 5 boxes I set back. How many boxes of ammo are available that year? Or, I realize I have 5 extra boxes that year and don't buy my usual 2. In either scenario, how does either one reduce supply?

The panic are setting the prices because??????????????????????
    artificial shortage to take financial advantage

As far as powder availability? Was in a So. Michigan dealers business last Sunday, loaded with powder all brands and most all varities. Prices? $18 to $25 bucks a lb, 8 lb jugs cheaper per lb of course.

?

M4Madness

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Springville
    2. Remove flippers from the equation completely and .22LR will still be missing from the shelves.
    3. The current market price for .22LR is at least 10 cents a round. If it is priced less than that, it sells out quickly.
    4. Everybody and their brother says that once this "shortage" ends, they're going to stock up. It doesn't take a genius to see that this way of thinking is going to exacerbate the situation even more.
    5. Everyone on here pretty much has an equal chance to get .22LR at Wal-Mart, unless you work 7 days a week. If you can't get out of bed and be there at 7AM when it is in stock, then you deserve to pay 10+ cents a round. The same goes for those that feel that they "are better than that and not going lower themselves to such antics". Obviously if you are above that, you can afford to pay the higher price on the secondary market.
    6. There is NO shortage of .22LR, only a shortage of it priced below market value.
    7. Flippers keep ammo available to everyone, while shooters remove it from the market permanently.
    8. Even when priced at $100/1K rounds, it is still way cheaper than 1K rounds of any other caliber.

And you know these as absolute facts HOW?

1. I know the majority of guys who buy .22LR at my local Wal-Mart are not flipping it, as I know most of them personally. I see no reason for my locality to be statistically different than any other city in Indiana.
    2. See #1.
    3. See Gunbroker, Armslist, and classified ads on various firearm boards.
    4. There are posts in this thread stating as much.
    5. Up until recently, I had access to what EVERY Wal-Mart in Indiana got daily as far as ammo shipments -- all in one report. I can still access this information, but would have to do so store by store, which I have no inclination to do. I watched Wal-Marts all over Indiana get .22LR during the last year and a half, and seen guys complaining that such and such store never gets it, when I know for a fact that it did within a week of their complaint.
    6. See #3.
    7. One only needs common sense to see that this statement is true.
    8. Price various calibers and get back with me.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    The only thing that would make the anti flippers any more apoplectic than walking into Walmart buying a $25 bulk pack and listing it for $50 would be to take an identical bulk pack I paid $11.95 for with the price tag on it and list it for $50.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    I can wait. I have plenty.

I need to stock back up. I made the mistake of not charging too much for mine and helping people out. I dont see any of them out buying ammo and reselling it too me to help replenish my stock that I depleted to help them go shooting a few times

I did so voluntarily and do not really expect people to help me replenish my stock. But when it happens again, and it will, my prices will be 10% less than Gunbroker or Armslist and they can either find it themselves, buy it from me, or spend 10% more elsewhere.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    This thread cracks me up -- that's why I'm drawn to it like a moth to a flame. LOL!

I've NEVER sold ammo for profit in my entire life, so the term "flipper" definitely doesn't describe me. I have sold some .22LR to close friends who are less fortunate, and I always keep my receipts and sell to them for exactly what I paid for it, and sometimes even slightly less. I have bought over 20K rounds of .22LR since Sandy Hook (all of it at Wal-Mart) -- and I even went 9 months without even trying to buy more (even though it was available to me). I sold 7K of it to various buddies without making a dime. I've been buying some lately when it comes in, but only on weekends, as that's the only time I can get to it. I feel that I have a high probability of finding some this weekend. Anyone who thinks that their Wal-Mart isn't getting .22's in on at least a weekly basis is sadly mistaken. Recently, in this thread, I discussed how my local Wal-Mart got over 36,000 rounds of it in 10 days' time.

Let's discuss some FACTS:

I am curious as to how you bought 20,000 rounds at Walmart when most people for the last year and a half cannot even find a box on the shelf.

M4Madness

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Springville
    I am curious as to how you bought 20,000 rounds at Walmart when most people for the last year and a half cannot even find a box on the shelf.

I wait until it comes in on an afternoon truck, then I show up at the sporting goods counter the next morning at 7:00 AM when they bring it out. I have access to the same tools as everyone else on this site to determine when ammo is delivered. Heck, if I hadn't taken a break from buying it from last summer until last month, I'd have two to three times that much easily. And to top it off, I can only get it on weekend mornings, as I am at work at 6:00 AM during the week.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I need to stock back up. I made the mistake of not charging too much for mine and helping people out. I dont see any of them out buying ammo and reselling it too me to help replenish my stock that I depleted to help them go shooting a few times

I did so voluntarily and do not really expect people to help me replenish my stock. But when it happens again, and it will, my prices will be 10% less than Gunbroker or Armslist and they can either find it themselves, buy it from me, or spend 10% more elsewhere.

This is why I laugh at this "community" notion. As if this group of 30,000+ is significantly different than the general population. It's human nature for people to want to receive favors and not want to pay them back.

M4Madness

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Springville
    So you are implying Wal-Mart has no idea how to price the goods they sell or how to conduct their business, even tho they are the largest retailer the world has ever seen.

You should go to Arkansas and take them by the hand.

Well, obviously something is amiss when they cannot keep .22LR on the shelf at their current price. LOL! Are you trying to say that the current market price for a brick of .22LR is not $50 or greater?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Market_equilibrium

Last edited:

DocHoliday

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2012
    $23.97 for 550 rounds.

Thanks! My nephew came down to shoot for the weekend with his new 10/22 that his uncle got him. His grandma took him to 3 places for 22 in Indy and no luck. My father in-law brought up the idea of buying it at a place that would overcharge. I told him I would sell him some. I sold him about 800 for what you said. I did give him a free BX-25 when he showed up without one. Sometimes it's fun to shoot with someone new who shows enthusiasm. He did learn to always keep the rifle pointing down range. I still can't believe he's never been yelled at about that before. I told him he would of been kicked out if he was at a real range. He also said he didn't need ears and glasses. I maybe just saved someone's life or his own ears/eyes after spending some time with him today.

jcwit

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Dead Center on the End
    Well, obviously something is amiss when they cannot keep .22LR on the shelf at their current price. LOL! Are you trying to say that the current market price for a brick of .22LR is not $50 or greater?

It's more like whatever the traffic will bear.

And turn the screw tighter. We have the government doing it, now we have the scalpers doing it!

And you claim to know more about business than the largest retailer in the world. LOL

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog

And turn the screw tighter. We have the government doing it, now we have the scalpers doing it!

And you claim to know more about business than the largest retailer in the world. LOL

Obviously they are stupid, they could get 29.99 all day long and the shelves would still be empty. It is called bad business management to let such an opportunity pass you by.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Obviously they are stupid, they could get 29.99 all day long and the shelves would still be empty. It is called bad business management to let such an opportunity pass you by.

What Walmart knows is they are making money and selling all they get quickly.

M4Madness

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Springville

Believe what you want, but this whole "shortage" would be over very quickly if all retailers would price their ,22LR at 10 cents a round and slowly trickle it down to 5 cents as the market dictates.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    So you arte implying Wal-Mart has no idea how to price the goods they sell or how to conduct their business, even tho they are the largest retailer the world has ever seen.

You should go to Arkansas and take them by the hand.

No one has said or implied that Walmart has no idea how to price their goods. You inferred it, you interpreted it that way from your own beliefs about how things work. Wal-mart knows the ethos of their market, that the hoards of people who think just like you would accuse them of "gouging". BK is right. If Walmart charged $30 for bulk packs, the shelves would still be empty. And you'd still be *****ing about flippers.

As long as people are willing to pay ten cents a round, and there are low priced suppliers willing to sell at 5 cents a round, guess what's going to happen. The shelves will be empty.

If all the flippers stopped "flipping" today, there'd still be no ammo on Walmart's shelves tomorrow, at $23.99, or $29.99, or even $39.99 because many, many people would rather have that bulk pack in their basement than the $24, $30 or $40 bucks in their pockets. Get it?

Said even another way, this situation isn't caused by flipping. It's caused mostly by people who want to "tragedy" proof their shooting habits. Certainly flippers aren't willing to pay ten cents per round.

What Walmart knows is they are making money and selling all they get quickly.

See above.

Believe what you want, but this whole "shortage" would be over very quickly if all retailers would price their ,22LR at 10 cents a round and slowly trickle it down to 5 cents as the market dictates.

Yep.

Top Bottom