• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    The difference is the walmart bags!!!! LOL post script: who is your investment advisor?? Ed Jones? Charles? or just plain self-taught! LOL.....................

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    The difference is the walmart bags!!!! LOL post script: who is your investment advisor?? Ed Jones? Charles? or just plain self-taught! LOL.....................

In 2008, I was buying 550 round Federal bulk packs for $11.95. In 2014, if I sold those same bulk packs at current Walmart shelf price, I would nearly double my money and they would be sold within minutes of placing the ad. What other investment could you make that would nearly double (not factoring in inflation, yada, yada) your money in 6 years?

This summer, I will have a sum of money that I plan to invest for a 10-15 year period. It has to be a safe investment. Some will go to ammo, some to other areas. I could invest that money into a 2% bank cd that won't keep up with inflation. Money Market rates aren't much better. Do you see the demand for ammo decreasing? Do you see Walmart's ammo pricing going down?

What makes investing in ammo any more immoral than investing it in the other commodities I mentioned up thread? Most of these gouger/hoarder hate posts can all be summed up to mean "I love the free market when I'm the seller but hate it when I'm the buyer".

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    Sorry to disappoint you. I have not sold or traded a single .22lr cartridge. And I am very happy, in general. LOL Also, you might want to look up the word fungible. It sounds cute. Also, try commodity. Maybe Chicago Merchantile Exchange, CME. I had to do some trading back in 1974 to get my degree. Lots of fun, but lost money anyway. YMMV, but none of it had involved wal-mart bags!!

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    You'd have to be pretty sure that there'll be another scare. I think once people generally have what they want, the price is going to drop. You'd hate to be stuck with 50k rounds at a loss.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Sorry to disappoint you. I have not sold or traded a single .22lr cartridge. And I am very happy, in general. LOL Also, you might want to look up the word fungible. It sounds cute. Also, try commodity. Maybe Chicago Merchantile Exchange, CME. I had to do some trading back in 1974 to get my degree. Lots of fun, but lost money anyway. YMMV, but none of it had involved wal-mart bags!!

I think I've bought a grand total of 40 rounds in the last 4-5 years and have sold none. Should I decide to invest in ammo, I won't shed a single tear or lose a minute of sleep when I profit off the poor downtrodden grandpa who can't afford to take little Johnny shooting.

Do you have a market argument against selling ammo for profit or is it a purely emotional one?

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    I think I've bought a grand total of 40 rounds in the last 4-5 years and have sold none. Should I decide to invest in ammo, I won't shed a single tear or lose a minute of sleep when I profit off the poor downtrodden grandpa who can't afford to take little Johnny shooting.

Do you have a market argument against selling ammo for profit or is it a purely emotional one?

See post #345 & 344

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    You'd have to be pretty sure that there'll be another scare. I think once people generally have what they want, the price is going to drop. You'd hate to be stuck with 50k rounds at a loss.

You'd have to have been living in a cave not to have witnessed the gun owner inspired panics of the last 2 presidential elections.

Before this last panic, federal bulk was $18.95 at Walmart. When is Walmart going to have it cheaper than that? Will it be cheaper than that 5-15 years from now? In the course of 6 years, their price went up over 50% with no real shortages experienced.

Regarding 22 ammo, I would not invest until I could walk in to Wally on any given day and buy a whole case and the market has settled.

$220 probably isn't the bottom for 7.62x39 but you can be damn sure it won't be the ceiling.

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    That explains it. The .22 lr Flippers stuck their heads out of the cave and instantly became shrewd investors. And political analyst too. Bent on making a dime on grandpa and johnny's sport. For Shame, For Shame as Gomer Pyle used to say. In the end, the market will adjust but the politics will be here forever! That's the scary part. Also, from your reply above you appear to to a "paper" .22 lr Flipper who has bragged about what to do with his nest, or I mean egg money. LOL time will tell. Enjoy it while you can and teach your children to aspire to become the next best .22 lr Flipper or wait McD burger man???

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    That explains it. The .22 lr Flippers stuck their heads out of the cave and instantly became shrewd investors. And political analyst too. Bent on making a dime on grandpa and johnny's sport. For Shame, For Shame as Gomer Pyle used to say. In the end, the market will adjust but the politics will be here forever! That's the scary part. Also, from your reply above you appear to to a "paper" .22 lr Flipper who has bragged about what to do with his nest, or I mean egg money. LOL time will tell. Enjoy it while you can and teach your children to aspire to become the next best .22 lr Flipper or wait McD burger man???

So emotion is all you got. I see.

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    Did ya look up "fungible" yet. or did you miss all the well thought out info of the prior posts. BTW, you identified yourself as a "paper trader" I believe. LOL and good flipping to ya.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Did ya look up "fungible" yet. or did you miss all the well thought out info of the prior posts. BTW, you identified yourself as a "paper trader" I believe. LOL and good flipping to ya.

Definition of FUNGIBLE

: being of such a nature that one part or quantity may be replaced by another equal part or quantity in the satisfaction of an obligation <oil, wheat, and lumber are fungible commodities>

Definition of 'Paper Trade'

Using simulated trading to practice buying and selling securities without actual money being involved. While a paper trade can be done by simply keeping track of hypothetical trading positions, it usually involves the use of a stock market simulator that has the look and feel of an actual stock market where budding investors can hone their trading skills. The proliferation of online trading platforms has made it easy to practice paper trading without committing actual capital. Another benefit of a paper trade is that it can be used to test a new investment strategy before putting new money into it.

I'd say the model is pretty clear. For months leading up to the last 2 presidential elections, those who told us we had to vote against Obama because he was going to ban our guns did so because they thought it would be an effective campaign tool. After each election, the panic ensued and those same Anybody But Obama voters who helped to create the panic were now upset and saying there were now upcoming bans because they had to pay panic prices for guns and ammo. Seems they wanted to eat their cake and have it to. They didn't learn that lesson from the 08/09 panic and you can be certain they won't learn it from this one. The only spoiler to this investment strategy is that. Hillary or whichever other "Anybody But..." Is defeated and the repub wins. Maybe to brace up my ammo investment strategy, I should bet in Vegas 1/100th of what I invest in ammo on a 2016 repub win. Either way, win, win.

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    Good, now you see that .22lr Flippers that visit wal-mart are not dealing in investment in commodities, fungible or otherwise. Hope all your big plans to predict the election, value of .22lr ammo wins you plenty of profits after you start investing the nest, oh no egg money as a .22lr Flipper. Good luck...

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Good, now you see that .22lr Flippers that visit wal-mart are not dealing in investment in commodities, fungible or otherwise. Hope all your big plans to predict the election, value of .22lr ammo wins you plenty of profits after you start investing the nest, oh no egg money as a .22lr Flipper. Good luck...

Why are you concerned if I win or lose? Just as I won't shed a tear if I profit, you shouldn't shed a tear if I lose my ass. I haven't said how much I have to invest or what percentage I plan to put in ammo.

Does an investment advisor have to get a cut of my profits to make it a moral or legit investment? If I said I was going to invest in silver or gold, I wouldn't be met with the same derision or hatred as saying I'd invest in ammo for profit. I plan to invest some in silver but I don't believe now is the time as I don't believe we've seen the bottom yet.

M4Madness

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Springville

Scare or not, ammo prices are not going to drop. I used to buy cases of Lake City 5.56 ten years ago for $199 per 1K rounds SHIPPED. Normal price today on that same ammo (not panic prices) is double that. If you buy ammo today at Wal-Mart's prices, you will NEVER lose money. If you buy it at a flipper's price, you most certainly will, unless you keep it for a long enough time that normal prices rise and catch up with it, or another panic occurs. I'd have no qualms about putting every spare dime into ammo purchases, if I were interested in buying ammo for future resale (which I'm not).

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    Seriously, I plan on dropping $10-20k on ammo in the next year. 223, 7.62x39, and 22. Even if I buy at Walmart prices and sell at Walmart prices, what better return could I make right now than ammo? 2% on a bank CD?

Seems you told me what you plan for your nest or I mean egg money and might have forgot. LOL .22lr Flippers still make me sad, or no S * I * C * K and I am not alone. Good luck with your plans.

billt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Glendale, Arizona
    But will the Hildebeast be able to generate the same fear as Hussein, when her turn comes about in 2016? Or will she have to depend on a couple more high body count school shootings, in order to raise the fear bar high enough to get .22 ammo back up to $70.00+ a brick?

Top Bottom