• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Either most others are extra lucky, or I am unlucky. I have had maybe a dozen .22LR cases split and burp smoke since about 1970. Some in Pistols, some revolvers, some rifles. I do not think I ever had two splits in a single brick. All different brands. They (at the time) were a 1.5 cent product, with cases mass stamped out of sheet brass. The good ones were only 3 cents. Even then, I was amazed at how good of assembly they could make for that cheap. The bottom line cartridges are definately lower grade, dirtier and less consistant.

My opinion is that it is simply metallurgical failure, not a double charge, which would have lots of other issues. I can't prove it, but I can tell the difference between high velocity and standard velocity ammo, surely I would notice a double charge.

If I had a box with several split cases, I would have stopped and made other arrangments. One here or there really never upset me. I do not think I ever shot less than 5 bricks a year. When I was a bullseye shooter it was two or three bricks a month. There is no way I could qualitify the total over that time period, but it would be a significant number of bricks. The split case rate I have experienced is a very tiny percentage against the amount shot.

I have probably had over 100 that did not go off at all, even after turing them 180 degrees and restriking. Most of them were about 5 years ago before the Remington plant in AR. replaced some worn out machinery. They seem to be fine now, I have just opened my 3rd 'bucket of bullets' with the kids this summer, and do not remember any misfires or splits.

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2012
    I'm thinking Winchester may be leaning toward the small end of case diameter tolerances. This would assure that their ammo fits easily into just about any chamber, perhaps cycles better in some semi-auto's that have slight dimensional problems, things like that. Put them in a chamber that is on the large side of spec, have a slight problem with the brass, and ...........
    Just a guess. Not saying it's good practice, because they may occasionally put some cartridges out that are below tolerance if they're already aiming for the low side anyway.
    I don't buy Remington or Winchester ammo anymore for just this type of thing. My 22lr stuff is mostly the German made Wolf ammo these days. I shy away from all HV loads anyway, because some guns don't shoot well with them. The Wolf stuff doesn't cost a ton more, but I've found it's very accurate and consistent.

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    ALL of the American ammo factories are having serious quality control problems and have been for the last 5 years or so. OP, one thing you might want to check - take an empty .22 casing and manually insert it into the chamber. Let the bolt go fully forward. Now ease the bolt back 1/8th" and pull the trigger. Try it several times. You want to determine if it is possible for the gun to fire out of battery - even a tiny amount. The problem may not have been the ammo (but probably was). Also check to make sure the cross pin in the bolt that limits firing pin travel is present. You would be amazed how many Ruger MK pistols I have seen where that pin had fallen out and was lost when the gun was last tore down for cleaning.

Tried it yesterday with a snap cap. Passed test. Got prepaid return label today.

Top Bottom