• ...and so much more!
  • nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    Background; Ruger MKII 22/45, bought used a couple years ago. Put a few thousand rounds through it virtually trouble free, Shot only copper coated CCI,federal and Winchester ammo. Near the end of my range session today, I decided to try some of the Winchester ammo I picked up this morning;

DJJ_0202w_zps5enxazki.jpg

Third round, jam. Chamber looked something like this;

DJJ_0198w_zpsw7rvybdq.jpg

Recreated at home. Bolt was not locked back when it actually happened.

DJJ_0202w2_zpsuxuxrcf5.jpg

Had excessive powder residue in the palm of my left hand that was at the base of
    the grip, as well as on my trigger finger. After cleaning the powder off my
    hands, I checked the bore for obstructions, and checked the extractor. Both were
    fine. I loaded up another mag of the federal ammo and ot shot just fine.

Thoughts? Possibly double powder loads like the M-22 recall I read about
    a year or two ago?

Thanks

EDITED TO ADD; Ammo lot #1KE92L

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    I watched the video of the Savage A17 and they went into detail about the .22lr being suited for straight blowback while the 17 HMR needed a delayed blowback. The 17 ruptures in a .22lr style system because the pressure is too high while the case is being extracted.

I'd have to guess that there was a double charge in that specific case which caused the pressure to be too high inside the case while it was being removed from the chamber.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    I'd contact Winchester and share this info including package/lot numbers. Depending on other reports, it might end up being a recall.

dhamby

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Crawfordsville area
    I've had the same type of issue with Winchester .17hmr ammo. I could not find a number the Winchester but sent them an email with pictures. I never heard anything back not even an automated reply email. I will not purchase any more of their ammo.

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    Repped! Thank you for the lot number. I will have to check the two boxes I got a few weeks back next time I go to the range. One is already open without issue.

Last edited:

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    I have some .22 Winchester that looks like it was shot out of a .25 when you eject the cases. all swelled up. No problems with any other manufacturer.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    I have some .22 Winchester that looks like it was shot out of a .25 when you eject the cases. all swelled up. No problems with any other manufacturer.

Can you tell me how a case expands larger than the chamber its fired in ?
    I can easily see it happening if the firearm fires out of battery.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    Its obvious that Winchester has some serious QC issues with ALL of their ammo. At IDPA matches we are seeing all sorts of guns in multiple calibers having issue's with Winchester ammo. Solution....stop buying it.
    Take 9mm brass by WIN for example. Any that I have put a calipers on, they are seriously undersized when compared to SAMMI specs. Some guns will shoot it ok, but some have all sorts of issues with it that stop, when you stop using Winchester. YMMV.

It's sad when guns that will shoot Tula steel ammo all day long choke on Winchester crap.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    Sorry. Been out of town shooting Cowboy Action. I used the .25 reference to give a visual. The cases are undersized, it appears. The chamber in the Single Six is fine. All other ammo comes out fine. Just that one box of Winchester is blown out to fill the chamber.

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    Hoky smokes!!! Three months later, I finally heard back from Winchester. Well, sort of. I got an email saying someone would be contacting me. Got home and had a voicemail from a young lady, leaving her contact number for me to call. Tried it a few times over a couple hours. Most went to voice mail, one said line was busy.

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    Young lady just returned my call. They're going to send me a pre paid return label to ship it back to them. Then, they're going to send me a check for the cost of the ammo.

That's fine. Happy with it. But 2-3 months response time? On something as important and possibly dangerous as overloaded ammo? :dunno:

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    ALL of the American ammo factories are having serious quality control problems and have been for the last 5 years or so. OP, one thing you might want to check - take an empty .22 casing and manually insert it into the chamber. Let the bolt go fully forward. Now ease the bolt back 1/8th" and pull the trigger. Try it several times. You want to determine if it is possible for the gun to fire out of battery - even a tiny amount. The problem may not have been the ammo (but probably was). Also check to make sure the cross pin in the bolt that limits firing pin travel is present. You would be amazed how many Ruger MK pistols I have seen where that pin had fallen out and was lost when the gun was last tore down for cleaning.

Last edited:

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    ALL of the American ammo factories are having serious quality control problems and have been for the last 5 years or so. OP, one thing you might want to check - take an empty .22 casing and manually insert it into the chamber. Let the bolt go fully forward. Now ease the bolt back 1/8th" and pull the trigger. Try it several times. You want to determine if it is possible for the gun to fire out of battery - even a tiny amount. The problem may not have been the ammo (but probably was). Also check to make sure the cross pin in the bolt that limits firing pin travel is present. You would be amazed how many Ruger MK pistols I have seen where that pin had fallen out and was lost when the gun was last tore down for cleaning.

Thanks, I'll try that tonight or tomorrow.

Top Bottom