• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • daspurlock

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    People reload for all sorts of different reasons. I got into it so I could cut groups in half on my hunting rifles, and it worked beautifully. Back then, 25 years ago, it was unusual to get factory ammo to shoot MOA from even bolt-action rifles, let alone a semi-auto. Since I started reloading I've picked up various wildcat and obsolete rounds for which buying commercially produced ammo is prohibitively expensive. If I didn't handload, I wouldn't own or shoot those rounds. How boring!

What I discovered along the way is that I LIKE the process of reloading. If all I shot was 223, 308 or 9mm, I'd absolutely still load for them. Why not? Do you really need to watch that re-run of Law and Order...AGAIN? Reloading is relaxing and rewarding. If it cost me exactly the same for factory 9mm as it does to load them myself, I'd still reload them. The fact that I save a few dollars on each box I load is just icing on the cake. When you consider my equipment was bought n' paid for before some of you guys were born, it's a no-brainer. :D

If it costs you $250 to get set up with a Lee Classic Turret press and you only save an average of $5 for each 50 rounds you load, you break even in 2,500 rounds. Depending on how young you are and how much you shoot, this might take 2-5 years, at which point you are spending a dime less each and every time you pull the trigger. If you eventually shoot other rounds, and odds are you will, the savings over quality ammo will really make it worth your time.

If you get into reloading and find that you simply enjoy it, as a hobby, all this talk of economy will be meaningless. Looking at reloading as a means of saving money, or spending less, misses the point for most folks. It's like playing a round of golf, except at the end, you are further ahead financially, and a whole lot less frustrated! :D

Another thing I'll add is the "green" concept. I'm no tree-hugging PETA whack-job, but I like the idea of not just throwing stuff away. Maybe that's why RCBS equipment is green? ;)
    Point taken, everyone needs a good hobby. I use to train labs for hunt test. My wife and I traveled all over and never gave the money we spent a second thought.(until we had kids) I have very little time left in the day after my parenting duties are finished( when kids are in bed) so reloading my be a good way to unwind.

angus6

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2009
    I to found reloading and casting to be a great hobby and .223 @$112/K and
    9mm @ $42/K makes thing even better

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I thought about reloading but the only cals I shoot are 223 & 9mm. I have always bought my ammo and was wondering if it's cheaper to buy or reload? Just picked up 300 rds of HSM 55 gr v- max today, for 22.85 + tax per box of 50. I buy my 9mm ammo at wal-mart for 18.95 for 100 rds. I don't think I could reload for that. Thought I would ask people who do.
    Some people just reload for the fun of it! I have never really calculated down to the last cent but I do a mix of new and old. at the Oct 1500 I bought ammo can off 420 5.56's for $150 but I also reload. just to have something else to do. And the main reason I reload at least 5.56 is to improve accuracy. Take one of Andrew's reloading classes and decide if its for you.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Ok what is your recipe for .223 for $112/k?

Here's mine according to the handloading calculator--
    Powder 8lb $85 (wc844 surplus)
    charge 24g
    primer 1000 $18 (pulled surplus)
    case 1000 0 (already had)
    bullet 1000 $ 50 ( pulled surplus)

cost/rd $0.104
    cost/50 $5.22
    cost/1000 $104.43

Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County
    $11 per 50 rds goes down when you figure your time and cost of equipement.

While this can be true depending upon your reasoning for purchasing your equipment (as a hobby vs savings on ammo. I bought mine for the hobby so I don't figure that cost in), if that cost is important, pick yourself up a gun chambered for .44 Magnum and/or .45 Colt and watch the cost of that equipment fade away to nothing very quickly.

My Dillon stuff has paid for itself the first year it was on my bench. Both in amount of time spent and savings on the ammo. I shoot enough .44 and .45 that those two calibers alone saw enough savings to pay the press off.

As someone else mentioned, even if the cost ended up being the exact same as purchasing a box of ammo, regardless of caliber, I'd still reload. It's very enjoyable and I know exactly what is in that case when I chamber it in my guns. Heck, I like it so much that when I built my new garage last summer I put a second floor on it JUST for a place to put my reloading equipment. It will take a few more boxes to pay that off though!

windellmc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jan 5, 2011
    Greenwood
    Here's mine according to the handloading calculator--
    Powder 8lb $85 (wc844 surplus)
    charge 24g
    primer 1000 $18 (pulled surplus)
    case 1000 0 (already had)
    bullet 1000 $ 50 ( pulled surplus)

cost/rd $0.104
    cost/50 $5.22
    cost/1000 $104.43

Where are you finding the pulled surplus primers and bullets that cheap?

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Primers were bought at Knob Creek about 3 yrs ago. 5000 in an ammo can for $100 So I figure the can cost $10 that makes the primers $18/1000.
    Bullets were bought from HI-TECH ammo at Knob creek this past fall. $50/1000. I think they are about $10 more ordering them from their website. Some have pull marks but for range/blasting ammo they work great.

onesurveyor

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    I reload everything minus 223 just because I shoot to much of it so I just buy steel rounds. Besides it gives me something to do in the winter. That is when we used to have winters...

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I reload everything minus 223 just because I shoot to much of it so I just buy steel rounds. Besides it gives me something to do in the winter. That is when we used to have winters...

You just HAD to go n' say that, didn't ya?! ;)

I don't reload 223...yet, but I imagine I will, once I own a gun in that caliber.

Top Bottom