• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Tuning the trigger is adjusting the trigger to the desired feel. Lighter, crisper, shorter, etc...

Welcome to whole new world of jargon my friend... LOL

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    Indy have you used the newer Accu-trigers on the Savages? I actually think they are even easier to tune than the Remmi ones...

Nope, I remember when savages were the POS rifles on the block.

Are they still junky or are they getting better?

I have two rifles built by charlie sisk in texas.

Mauser actions, shilen and heart barrels. 257 ackley and 7mm weatherby mag.

I havent had them out of the safe in 6 years. Might need to get them out and knock the dust off.

Off the shelf I have always liked the 700's

farmboy365

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   1
    Dec 22, 2008
    NE Indiana
    so what would be a decent bolt action rifle in .223 for around 500 and under that would be a good target and small game gun

I have a CZ 527 in 223 and I would no trade it for anything it is vary accurate. they sell new for around $600.A remington 700 in 223 would be good and I have herd good things about the stevens and savage.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Nope, I remember when savages were the POS rifles on the block.

Are they still junky or are they getting better?

I have two rifles built by charlie sisk in texas.

Mauser actions, shilen and heart barrels. 257 ackley and 7mm weatherby mag.

I havent had them out of the safe in 6 years. Might need to get them out and knock the dust off.

Off the shelf I have always liked the 700's

I would take an off the shelf Savage just as fast as I would a new Remington. Their quality has come far. I can not stress that enough. I don't know if they are making a showing at any of the matches yet or not. But if not probably in the next 5 years they will be...

I got to hold a couple of Charlie Sisks when I was down at Hood... Nice... Tried to bring them back but my friend would not let them walk... Sigh...

I had a McMillan-Harris Long Range Express in .300 WinMag still kicking myself in the tail for getting rid of her... :dunno:

Mrmonte

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 1, 2009
    Indy South Side
    Wow, from the .223 being a deer gun to the 30-06 being an elephant gun! I hope that bullet is tumbling at a fast rate if your hunting deer with it.

Like stated already, the Remington Model 700 is a great choice. I would also look at the Rugers, they make a fine bolt action. Sounds like the .223 will be perfect for what your wanting to do Furby. The 06 has its place for sure. Its one of the best, if not the best, all around hunting rounds there are for North American big game. I bet only the 30-30 tops the list for more whitetails harvested. Thats my opinon, not based on actual facts.:)

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    By the Furby I actually prefer a .270 for an all around can smite everything caliber...

.223 is a good choice for pleasant shooter though. Just need to be aware of shot placement and windage. Does not like pretty heavy winds at all...

dbd870

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    I would take an off the shelf Savage just as fast as I would a new Remington.

Yep; I have both and if you told me I had to go all 700's or all Savage's with AccuTriggers I wouldn't be upset about either. I suppose if you were looking for aftermarket stuff there probably is more out there for the 700.

randyb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Based upon what you are wanting it for (rodents and paper) the .223 is the better choice. If I could only have one rifle I would opt for the .30-06 as it will 'do it all' better than the .223

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    I have both, a Remy 700 BDL in 30-06 and a Smith&Wesson M&P15T in 223 or 5.56. I like shooting both, but I can shoot more 223 than I want to with the 06. Many years ago, I could hit a penny with my Remy at 100 yards. Now I am older and so are my eyes, geeeezzz, how things can changed with ages....

cholmstr

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   1
    Mar 15, 2010
    Greendale, IN
    The .223 is slightly more accurate at ranges up to 200 yards, but wind deflection enters into the picture about there. Accuracy should not be the major factor in judging between those two cartridges, unless you're planning to do some benchrest shooting, but there are better cartridges than either for that sport.

Recoil, barrel heating, cost of shooting, need for greater energy to dispatch larger game, all enter into the picture. If you want a rifle to shoot at the range and not for hunting medium to larger game, the .223 Rem is the best choice. It's not the cartridge to hunt deer or bear though.

alan robert

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Indiana
    .223 and 30.06 are both great calibers for what they were developed.

We are talking bolt rifles right? With a lot of shooting, I say go for the .223 for the sake of the occassional ammo deal.

If we are shooting close range, pick up a nice .22lr or .22wmr bolt rifle.

But if the shooting is periodic, I would suggest a .243/6mm bolt rifle.

Accurate enough for paper punching, wide range of bullets to choose from for varmints (55-105 grains), and capable of medium game.

It could serve as self defense also. Recoil is not bad either.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom