• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    Different bullet weights don't lead to more or less accuracy. Cartridge consistency leads to accuracy. I can handload the crap out of 62gr and it'll be way more accurate than some 77 grainers that are just thrown together. Higher bullet weights just usually have more forgiving B.C.'s. But since I think you were referring to mil-surp stuff than yes I would agree that it's probably not consistent enough to be "accurate".

That's what I was alluding to but apparently that got lost in translation. If people want to throw away money @ .75 to 1.00 a round for "armor" piercing ammo instead of feeding their kids or getting new tires for their car with 2 spares on it then so be it. At .30-.35 cents, M855 was a good deal for plinking. At the current price though the money would be better spent on Match ammo where 2/2.5 MOA would be unacceptable. At the end of the day, it's their money bro so they can spend it how they choose.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    I wasn't talking about money. I was talking about my experience while in the service. Then again I haven't shot 500 yds since my last qual in 08 so I may be rusty. I prefer the 62gr just because of my experience and it being all we had. With my time in the Corps and the time behind the trigger I see no need to go out and panic buy. I have my AR for mostly nostalgia purposes, hence its pretty bone stock. But when I do shoot I prefer 62 gr.

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    Nope, totally false. I heard that someone mistakenly did an auto-insert on the document. It was supposed to be "Small Primer Case .45 ACP," so it's okay. The $10,000 in .223 that I'm buying is only for upcoming competitions.

If you want I got some high quality Tula .223 that I can sell you for $2 a round, that's a real bargain these days, PM me! :laugh:

Sonney

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Went to Gander Mountain and they have all kinds of 5.56 and 223 don't see a problem yet.

Sonney

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    Aimsurplus is out of M855 and every other .223/5.56, including Wolf. Even match ammunition.

Once the panic subsides, some folks are going to have a hard time unloading all that 69 and 75 gr. stuff without losing some $$$.

Streck-Fu

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Noblesville
    As far as M855/SS109 goes, I could care less on the ban....

Jeeze....thanks there buddy for the support. I don't shoot M855 either but if this holds, what we shoot will be next. You are the most dangerous type firearm owner; "They can ban whatever they want as long as they don't ban what I have...."

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Reply from my Rep. Jackie Walorski:

Dear Mr. Stockman:

Thank you for contacting me in regards to the proposal by the Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco Firearms and Explosives (BATFE) to reclassify armor piercing rounds under the Law Enforcement Officers Protection Act of 1986 (LEOPA). I appreciate you taking the time to inform me of your thoughts on this important issue.

On February 13, 2015, the BATFE issued its proposed framework on how they are going to reclassify M885 rounds as armor piercing, which would make them illegal to manufacture or purchase. Even though the LEOPA bans certain materials from ammunition that could pierce police body armor, M885 ammunition has always been exempted under the sporting purposes exemption within the law. The action taken by the BATFE could potentially fully eliminate the sporting purposes exemption leading to other potential regulatory consequences for law-abiding gun owners and manufacturers.

The recent proposed reclassification by the BATFE is another case of this administration’s anti-gun agenda. Recently, I joined my colleagues on a letter to the Director of the BATFE to express our displeasure with this attack on our Second Amendment rights. The letter also asks the BATFE the following questions:

• How does BATFE determine what constitutes the “core” of a projectile that has more than one discrete component or section beneath an outer jacket and upon what provision of law or other principle is that determination based?
    • Why did the BATFE not publish the proposed “Framework” in the Federal Register as required by the Administrative Procedures Act?
    • Under the “Framework,” what other rounds is the BATFE considering regulating as armor piercing ammunition?

You can join me in expressing your concerns by submitting your own comments to the BATFE at APAComments@atf.gov or via fax at 202-648-9741. Public comment on their proposal ends March 16, 2015.

I am a strong supporter of the Constitution and believe in an individual’s right to bear arms—as laid out in the Second Amendment. Rest assured that I will continue to provide vigorous oversight over this administration’s attacks on the Second Amendment. I believe it is our duty not only to protect each American family today, but to also secure the blessings of liberty for future generations of Hoosiers.

Sincerely,
    Jackie Walorski
    Member of Congress
    Indiana Second District

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    I've purchased 1 30rnd box of green tip at a gun show, and 3 boxes of PMC x-tac in my lifetime. 90 rounds of xm855. This "ban" is illegal, and hell needs to be raised about it. Get an account at whitehouse.gov, and sign the petition. Make them respond. They don't have the right to remain silent, and whatever they say, will be used against them in a court of law.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/stop-batfe-banning-xm855-ammunition/XrvVh1cj

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    The WH petition site has been caught suspending it's count on the petitions it doesn't want to address. The immunization choice one is the one they got nailed on.

Reply yo the BATFE comment site while it's still open for public input and email your congress critters, too.

I saw that. All the more reason to blow the 100,000 mark out of the water early. The site was frozen early the 27th - early the 2nd. You don't want them to do that the last few days when we're only a couple thousand away.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I'm sure there has been wY over 100k people trying to sign the petition. They know it. We know it. This admin. Is corrupt. Nothing will change that. The American people sent a crystal clear message to odumbo and his cronies in the last election and he didn't even acknowledge the blowout victory by the republicans which was a mandate against his failures. He doesn't care how many oppose him or if it's the people's will even through congress. He will do anything e can to illegally bipAss congress and our laws. We have a king in the white house

Streck-Fu

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Noblesville
    Different bullet weights don't lead to more or less accuracy. Cartridge consistency leads to accuracy. I can handload the crap out of 62gr and it'll be way more accurate than some 77 grainers that are just thrown together. Higher bullet weights just usually have more forgiving B.C.'s. But since I think you were referring to mil-surp stuff than yes I would agree that it's probably not consistent enough to be "accurate".

Truth About Guns ran a little experiment with M855....LINK

It looks like this M855 had very little variation in velocity (at least in this lot).

View attachment 36412

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    It's on the internet...so it must be true.

Did ya'll know I is a French Model?!?!

2299668379_3500a6288d_m.jpg

JStarr

Shooter
    Rating - 95%
    19   1   0
    Oct 11, 2011
    Portland
    Jeeze....thanks there buddy for the support. I don't shoot M855 either but if this holds, what we shoot will be next. You are the most dangerous type firearm owner; "They can ban whatever they want as long as they don't ban what I have...."

Repped.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    It's not legislation...
    That's exactly why this is so messed up. At least if it was some form of legislation put forth by Congress it would be going through the proper channels and handled through the legislative process which could be debated and ultimately repelled just like national restrictive firearm legislation was.

Obama and his toadies are doing an end around Congress because they could not get what they wanted through the legislative process. Despite all their efforts to get some National restrictive legislation passed they failed.

So now it's on to plan B and take an affront on the ammunition angle through Executive action using first the EPA and now the BATFE.

Top Bottom