• KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Reply from my Rep. Jackie Walorski:

Dear Mr. Stockman:

Thank you for contacting me in regards to the proposal by the Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco Firearms and Explosives (BATFE) to reclassify armor piercing rounds under the Law Enforcement Officers Protection Act of 1986 (LEOPA). I appreciate you taking the time to inform me of your thoughts on this important issue.

On February 13, 2015, the BATFE issued its proposed framework on how they are going to reclassify M885 rounds as armor piercing, which would make them illegal to manufacture or purchase. Even though the LEOPA bans certain materials from ammunition that could pierce police body armor, M885 ammunition has always been exempted under the sporting purposes exemption within the law. The action taken by the BATFE could potentially fully eliminate the sporting purposes exemption leading to other potential regulatory consequences for law-abiding gun owners and manufacturers.

The recent proposed reclassification by the BATFE is another case of this administration’s anti-gun agenda. Recently, I joined my colleagues on a letter to the Director of the BATFE to express our displeasure with this attack on our Second Amendment rights. The letter also asks the BATFE the following questions:

• How does BATFE determine what constitutes the “core” of a projectile that has more than one discrete component or section beneath an outer jacket and upon what provision of law or other principle is that determination based?
    • Why did the BATFE not publish the proposed “Framework” in the Federal Register as required by the Administrative Procedures Act?
    • Under the “Framework,” what other rounds is the BATFE considering regulating as armor piercing ammunition?

You can join me in expressing your concerns by submitting your own comments to the BATFE at APAComments@atf.gov or via fax at 202-648-9741. Public comment on their proposal ends March 16, 2015.

I am a strong supporter of the Constitution and believe in an individual’s right to bear arms—as laid out in the Second Amendment. Rest assured that I will continue to provide vigorous oversight over this administration’s attacks on the Second Amendment. I believe it is our duty not only to protect each American family today, but to also secure the blessings of liberty for future generations of Hoosiers.

Sincerely,
    Jackie Walorski
    Member of Congress
    Indiana Second District
    You got a good Rep. My anti-2A POS Rep. (Visclosky (D)) would pretty much tell me to go to hell if I sent a letter regarding my opposition to this line of assault perpetrated by the BATFE in conjunction with the Executive office.

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    I think you missed the point of him going over to Wal-Mart and buying it for $9.97 plus 7% tax($10.67) and marking it up to $13.99 plus tax($14.97). I can buy quality 308 brass ammo for $10.95 all day long plus shippingPrvi Partizan .308 FMJ 145grn 20rd White Box
    As far as M855/SS109 goes, I could care less on the ban as I don't shoot the garbage. If I'm training I'm using 55/69/75/77GR. The funny thing is 62Gr isn't really accurate at all if you do a lot of shooting but a lot people don't so they don't know that.
    This is one of the worst statements I've read on INGO. At what point will you care? When this ban is successful and they go after M193? Maybe not until they go after everything in 5.56/.223? I don't shoot M855 either, but you should seriously reconsider your thoughts on this subject.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Not a fan of SS109, but this whole thing is a load of horse ****. Congress needs to grow a set of balls and withhold funding from the BATF if they go through with this. The problem is previous generations of gun owners really dropped the ball, and allowed language like "sporting purpose" to be associated with the second amendment. Unless you were dropped on your head as a baby, it's pretty easy to figure out the founding fathers weren't concerned with our right to hunt game or plink beer cans in the back yard.

I'm starting to wonder though if Obama isn't a closet gun lover though, he seems to have sold an awful lot of of them, and ammuniton to boot :laugh: One of the only sectors of American manufacturing with a readable pulse.

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    I think you missed the point of him going over to Wal-Mart and buying it for $9.97 plus 7% tax($10.67) and marking it up to $13.99 plus tax($14.97). I can buy quality 308 brass ammo for $10.95 all day long plus shippingPrvi Partizan .308 FMJ 145grn 20rd White Box
    As far as M855/SS109 goes, I could care less on the ban as I don't shoot the garbage. If I'm training I'm using 55/69/75/77GR. The funny thing is 62Gr isn't really accurate at all if you do a lot of shooting but a lot people don't so they don't know that.

I am guessing your arguments in this thread are trying to state your opinions on the accuracy of a certain type of round. And that's obviously fine.

But if you truly don't care about a governmental agency changing policy and banning a commonly available type of ammunition on a whim, then I am saddened by that fact. This has NOTHING to do with 62gr vs other bullet weights. It is about misuse and abuse of power that can and will lead to more of the same. You should care ALOT about that.

MRP2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Greenwood
    Well, now I am better educated on this topic and thanks for the info and the smart *ss comments.

I just got a text from a friend who lives in Ohio mentioning that I better hurry up and buy up ammo for my AR. I replied back with the information your guys provided.

I also got an email from the NRA that suggests that the president is trying to ban the 223 / 5.56 but does have a picture of the rounds with a green tip.

It is easy to get misled and just now be made of the topic if you do not troll this site and most people under a rock or in a bug out spot probably have nothing better to do than to troll this site

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    Well, now I am better educated on this topic and thanks for the info and the smart *ss comments.

I just got a text from a friend who lives in Ohio mentioning that I better hurry up and buy up ammo for my AR. I replied back with the information your guys provided.

I also got an email from the NRA that suggests that the president is trying to ban the 223 / 5.56 but does have a picture of the rounds with a green tip.

It is easy to get misled and just now be made of the topic if you do not troll this site and most people under a rock or in a bug out spot probably have nothing better to do than to troll this site

Easy there Debra. The interwebz is serious business around here. Thousands of people under rocks and/or bugging out.

Top Bottom