• ...and so much more!
  • Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Maybe the OP has some ammo he over paid for during the "panic" of late 2012 early 2013, so he is trying to create a "panic" to sell it. Not on here of course, but armslist. That way he can't be called out for "gouging".

Or he really has been living in one heck of a bug out location.
    If people are stupid enough to pay $1300 on gunbroker or armslist for a case of green tip ammo, I think you'd be stupid NOT to sell it to them if you had extra lol

MRP2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Greenwood
    Give me all the sh*t you want but it was on the local radio this morning

sorry never heard of a caliber ban but did an assault rifle ban.

Btw gunner i just happened to buy a nice stock pile before the panic and I am not looking to sell any

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Nope, totally false. I heard that someone mistakenly did an auto-insert on the document. It was supposed to be "Small Primer Case .45 ACP," so it's okay. The $10,000 in .223 that I'm buying is only for upcoming competitions.

Sweet! I'm sitting on a few hundred pieces of small primer case 45 acp brass. My ship has come in! :rockwoot:

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN

Btw gunner i just happened to buy a nice stock pile before the panic and I am not looking to sell any

This has been discussed for a few weeks now. See post #7 for the old news.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    I just walked into/then straight out of a local Army/Surplus store. He had 2 crates(1000rds) of green tip for $750 a piece. I about said something but bit my tongue as some idiot will buy it for that amount. He was also selling Wal-Mart only ZQ1 308 ammo for $13.99 a box when you can buy it there for $9.97. Highly unlikely I will stop in there again.:noway:

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    203   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A

I was somewhat kidding. The gun industry as a whole has been accused of starting "panics" to boost sales of certain items. The first "panic" I was aware of was .380 ammo, then there was Obama's first election, had people going in droves to gun shows and shops to buy guns "before they get banned". I truly believe a lot of these "panics" were brought on by "rumors" at gun shows and shops, it's good for business. I don't think you were personally trying to sell ammo.
    I'm glad that you did not over pay for your ammo, and that you are well stocked. And I have to agree with Trigger Time, if you have extra that you are willing to sell, and people are paying stupid prices, why not.
    Then we had "Sandy Hook", of which .22lr still has never fully recovered, now the Green tip ammo, which isn't even true armor piercing ammo. Of course with sandy hook, you couldn't find a Pmag or AR for a normal price, or ammo and even brass was at a premium.

I think the members here are you razzing you a little.

Last edited:

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    He was also selling Wal-Mart only ZQ1 308 ammo for $13.99 a box when you can buy it there for $9.97. Highly unlikely I will stop in there again.:noway:

I talked with the Vice President of ZQI at the SHOT Show about purchasing a large quantity of that ammo and I specifically brought up the price at Wal-Mart. I was told that Wal-Mart is not just selling it at a loss, but is actually selling it for less than what it costs ZQI to get it in the country! Wal-Mart is using that ammo as a loss leader just to get people in the store. $13.99/box is actually a very good retail price for brass, boxer .308 ammo these days. I know most people don't realize what Wal-Mart does, but this is why knowledgeable people hate that company. They put all of the little guys in the community out of business, then jack up the price once all of the competition is gone in a given area - a smart, but also "evil" business practice.

As for the M855 green tip, that price is pretty much in line with what I saw at the gunshows this weekend ($15/box for PMC X-tac green tip) and also most online ammo wholesalers. Centerfire Systems for example, wants $800/1,000 plus shipping. I know you hate hearing this, but this is the new normal on this ammo. Two flavors from Centerfire.
    5.56 XM855 SS109 62GR Green Tip Federal Ammo

5.56 ADI SS109 (M855) 62GR Ammo 50rds

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    I talked with the Vice President of ZQI at the SHOT Show about purchasing a large quantity of that ammo and I specifically brought up the price at Wal-Mart. I was told that Wal-Mart is not just selling it at a loss, but is actually selling it for less than what it costs ZQI to get it in the country! Wal-Mart is using that ammo as a loss leader just to get people in the store. $13.99/box is actually a very good retail price for brass, boxer .308 ammo these days. I know most people don't realize what Wal-Mart does, but this is why knowledgeable people hate that company. They put all of the little guys in the community out of business, then jack up the price once all of the competition is gone in a given area - a smart, but also "evil" business practice.

As for the M855 green tip, that price is pretty much in line with what I saw at the gunshows this weekend ($15/box for PMC X-tac green tip) and also most online ammo wholesalers. Centerfire Systems for example, wants $800/1,000 plus shipping. I know you hate hearing this, but this is the new normal on this ammo. Two flavors from Centerfire.
    5.56 XM855 SS109 62GR Green Tip Federal Ammo

5.56 ADI SS109 (M855) 62GR Ammo 50rds

I think you missed the point of him going over to Wal-Mart and buying it for $9.97 plus 7% tax($10.67) and marking it up to $13.99 plus tax($14.97). I can buy quality 308 brass ammo for $10.95 all day long plus shippingPrvi Partizan .308 FMJ 145grn 20rd White Box
    As far as M855/SS109 goes, I could care less on the ban as I don't shoot the garbage. If I'm training I'm using 55/69/75/77GR. The funny thing is 62Gr isn't really accurate at all if you do a lot of shooting but a lot people don't so they don't know that.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    I think you missed the point of him going over to Wal-Mart and buying it for $9.97 plus 7% tax($10.67) and marking it up to $13.99 plus tax($14.97). I can buy quality 308 brass ammo for $10.95 all day long plus shippingPrvi Partizan .308 FMJ 145grn 20rd White Box

You are assuming he bought it at Wal-Mart. I know in your first post regarding this ammo that you said the ZQI .308 is "Wal-Mart" only, but that is incorrect. That said, I have no idea where he got it and it really doesn't matter. Even if he did get it at Wal-Mart, the price is an approximate 25% mark-up which is pretty normal for small quantities at a brick-and-mortar store. I'm sure the case price would have a lower percentage mark-up.

Aim is definitely the 800 pound gorilla of the ammo business, there is no disputing that, they basically sell at wholesale prices to the public. They beat a lot of distributors such as Zander's and Jerry's. I can think of only two other online ammo places can that occasionally beat Aim on prices, and when Aim is getting beat, 90% of the time it is because of the shipping.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    You are assuming he bought it at Wal-Mart. I know in your first post regarding this ammo that you said the ZQI .308 is "Wal-Mart" only, but that is incorrect. That said, I have no idea where he got it and it really doesn't matter. Even if he did get it at Wal-Mart, the price is an approximate 25% mark-up which is pretty normal for small quantities at a brick-and-mortar store. I'm sure the case price would have a lower percentage mark-up.

He is a brick-and-mortar store and at 25% he can keep it.

Last edited:

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    Is this someone selling out of their house or something? I (perhaps incorrectly) assumed that since you were talking about an army surplus store that it was a regular business with a store front.

Sorry, edited my quote as I was keyboard happy. He is a brick-and-mortar shop. And last time I checked, a $4 markup on ammo that is $10 is 40% not 25%.:noway:

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    I If I'm training I'm using 55/69/75/77GR. The funny thing is 62Gr isn't really accurate at all if you do a lot of shooting but a lot people don't so they don't know that.

I would beg to differ. 500 yds slow fire in the prone 10 rounds 10 min through an M4 with irons after shooting same rifle quals with a A2. I would say its pretty damn accurate.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    I would beg to differ. 500 yds slow fire in the prone 10 rounds 10 min through an M4 with irons after shooting same rifle quals with a A2. I would say its pretty damn accurate.

General consensus is 2/2.5 MOA. I wouldn't classify that as damn accurate. 77GR SMKs at sub MOA, now that is damn accurate. YMMV

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I would venture to say that 2/2.5 MOA @ 500 yds is damn accurate enough.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    General consensus is 2/2.5 MOA. I wouldn't classify that as damn accurate. 77GR SMKs at sub MOA, now that is damn accurate. YMMV

Different bullet weights don't lead to more or less accuracy. Cartridge consistency leads to accuracy. I can handload the crap out of 62gr and it'll be way more accurate than some 77 grainers that are just thrown together. Higher bullet weights just usually have more forgiving B.C.'s. But since I think you were referring to mil-surp stuff than yes I would agree that it's probably not consistent enough to be "accurate".

Top Bottom