.223/5.56 before everything hit the fan?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scout103

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 29, 2012
    Hey y'all,

What did you all pay for AR FMJ ammo before the last few years hit? Just getting into the AR platform and wondering what a good deal is on ammo. whatever pricing you could give me would be great. I know 20rds around here goes for $10-13....Thanks

blazer1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2010
    South Bend
    I used to buy xm193 for 6.99 a box a few years back. Now it seems Walmart is the cheapest place to buy it I have found you can get 100rnd. pack of federal .223 for 39.99 ($8 /20rnds.) and I pick up today 150rnd. American eagle 5.56 xm855 for $69.97 a box ($9.33/20rnds).

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    My old rule of thumb was that if I could get 1,000 rounds for $300 before shipping I'd buy it. That was $0.30 a round for brass cased good ammo. Now you're lucky if you can find it for $0.40 a round. If the trend continues to go the way it has been I think the pricing will get back closer to what it once was. For me personally this is the longest duration of an ammo shortage I've ever seen. Even the '08 election panic didn't take a full year to recover from.

Noway Jose

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Agreed with the above.

Don't go to one of the big box stores that is fully stocked with 5.56 and pay $0.60 per round. It can be had for cheaper.

I bought some 5.56 ppu at wally for $6.97 per 20 I think. It's not domestic, but for that price per round I'll shoot it.

BrinNutz

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 26, 2012
    SBN
    Agreed with the above.

Don't go to one of the big box stores that is fully stocked with 5.56 and pay $0.60 per round. It can be had for cheaper.

I bought some 5.56 ppu at wally for $6.97 per 20 I think. It's not domestic, but for that price per round I'll shoot it.

PPU is $7.97 / 20 at Walmart. =)

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    yeah, it comes down to pricing per round. I'm always standing there with a calculator (on my phone) looking at ammo. If I'm feeling rich, I'll go for the .50/round. Otherwise I keep looking for the deal. When I buy ammo, I always imagine being at a range throwing dollar bills at the target. How many rounds can I send down range before it's a dollar bill just flying out of my pocket.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    yeah, it comes down to pricing per round. I'm always standing there with a calculator (on my phone) looking at ammo. If I'm feeling rich, I'll go for the .50/round. Otherwise I keep looking for the deal. When I buy ammo, I always imagine being at a range throwing dollar bills at the target. How many rounds can I send down range before it's a dollar bill just flying out of my pocket.
    I do the exact same. Depending on how I feel, I set a "limit" in my head of ppr. Usually 30-40¢

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I'm a reloader, so for my situation it's a matter of what's the price point where I just buy blasting ammo versus making my own. In the 223/5.56 I look at buying factory new 193 loads to have on hand, Otherwise I reload my own match ammunition. Another example is at that when I see factory brass cased 9mm for $10 per 50 rounds I know that the dollar and change I'd save making my own won't out weigh the time and headaches I'll get from the wife.

I still hope to see factory new brass cased 223/5.56 get under the $.30 a round. Otherwise shooting a high powered rifle is going to become a rich mans sport.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    I'm a reloader, so for my situation it's a matter of what's the price point where I just buy blasting ammo versus making my own. In the 223/5.56 I look at buying factory new 193 loads to have on hand, Otherwise I reload my own match ammunition.

I'm the same way.

Keep a supply of 55gr FMJBT ammo on-hand for plinking, sighting in, SHTF, etc. and save time at the press for my Mk262 clones.

I recently have seen factory new RP 223 brass at Bass Pro and Cabelas for about $0.32/piece. When you can get XM193 for $0.40/round, it simply doesn't make sense to spend the money (let alone time) to reload blasting ammo...

djl02

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Indiana
    I still have a little that I paid 140.00 per 1000. Its been awhile ,thou. Cant even reload for that price now dats

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    Similar subject, I have been seeing Tula .223 at select Walmarts for $6/box of 20. It isn't reload able but at that price I don't care. The question is, does it shoot and cycle well in most ARs? I have bought several boxes but have not been able to get to a range that will accept center fire rifles yet. I hate to keep buying it if it doesn't cycle well. I hope I can get to the range this week to test my first batch of reloaded .223 and I will test the Tula then buyin the meantime I may have a few opportunities to buy more.

Matt

clayshooter99

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Dec 3, 2008
    I just pre paid 379.00 out the door for a new load of PMC X-Tac in the 55 grain which is 5.56, is due to arrive this coming week. Considering what it has been and what some of the on-line retailers are still selling for, I felt this was a great price.

cmamath13

Master
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Greenwood
    I just pre paid 379.00 out the door for a new load of PMC X-Tac in the 55 grain which is 5.56, is due to arrive this coming week. Considering what it has been and what some of the on-line retailers are still selling for, I felt this was a great price.

I agree. Currently this is a good deal!

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Similar subject, I have been seeing Tula .223 at select Walmarts for $6/box of 20. It isn't reload able but at that price I don't care. The question is, does it shoot and cycle well in most ARs? I have bought several boxes but have not been able to get to a range that will accept center fire rifles yet. I hate to keep buying it if it doesn't cycle well. I hope I can get to the range this week to test my first batch of reloaded .223 and I will test the Tula then buyin the meantime I may have a few opportunities to buy more.

Matt

That's pretty much all I've shot with mine. Had one jam the second or third of my gun's assembled existence. After that, smooth sailing. Probably 1000+ rounds with no issues.

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    That's pretty much all I've shot with mine. Had one jam the second or third of my gun's assembled existence. After that, smooth sailing. Probably 1000+ rounds with no issues.

Good to know! I know every gun is different and you have to find out what your gun likes but at least your experience lets me know it functions well enough. Even if my gun doesn't like it, some other may be happy with it and worst case I can trade or sell whatever I end up with.

Matt

Top Bottom