• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MiCo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    192   0   1
    Sep 1, 2011
    Camby, IN
    If you could only choose between a 22 Magnum and a 380 Auto for carry, which would it be? I guess it seems obvious but I know a few ex-cops who swear the 22 Mags will shoot thru the old school vests.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I guess it seems obvious but I know a few ex-cops who swear the 22 Mags will shoot thru the old school vests.

Even if that's true, so what? How many attackers are out there wearing old school vests?

I'd suggest neither, but if those are the two choices for whatever reason, easily the .380. It's got enough punch to break an adult's femur or go through-and-through an all-soft-tissue belly shot. Its also center fire, which translates into greatly reliability than rim fire, a very important consideration in a carry gun.

sliptap

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Would you rather drive an ecotec Cavalier (.22mag) or a V6 mustang (380)?

...probably the Mustang but I'd still like something with more "ommph."

It is also worth pointing out that .22 mags out of a short barrel aren't really that much faster than a .22lr. There is an improvement, but nothing crazy.

WWalker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 19, 2012
    While I agree the .380 would be the better choice, some people think that a semi-auto never jams . Try clearing a Fail to Feed or Stove-Pipe when you need it to fire. While I don't carry my LCR 22 mag. I haven't had a Fail to Fire and if I do I'll just pull the trigger again.

Last edited:

sliptap

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Indianapolis
    While I agree the .380 would be the better choice, some people think that a semi-auto never jams . Try clearing a Fail to Feed or Stove-Pipe when you need it to fire. While I don't carry my LCR 22 mag. I haven't had a Fail to Fire and if I do I'll just pull the trigger again.

This might not be the appropriate thread but I'll go ahead and say it...I think believing that revolvers function every time is a BIG fallacy:

Ever have a revolver jam or lock up on you? - The Firing Line Forums

I would much rather have a FTE in a semi-auto than cylinder lock up in a revolver. In the ONE time I've had a FTE with my carry gun (bad primer from personally reloaded ammo), I cleared it and was back in action. I've shot magnum revolvers with hot loads where I could not get the brass out of the cylinder after firing. Throw in there the threat of lock up and I'll stick with my semi.

I guess my point is if I'm taking a (small) risk of failure to function with either gun, I'm going to take the more powerful of the two...

Whitsettd8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Floyd Co
    Option C I throw it at the attacker while they are distracted I'll use my ZT, S30V won't fail and has as much penetration power as I can put behind it.......

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Anything mechanical can fail. But the likelyhood of a rimfire not going bang is greater than that of a centerfire. That, coupled with the fact that the .380 uses heavier bullets with more frontal area means that is will punch deeper, and make a wider hole, expansion or not.
    The 22 mag is only marginally better than a 2LR when fired out of a handgun, not anywhere close to the .380.
    If you want to argue the revolver is more reliable, look into the Rossi .380 revolver, problem solved.

In my book, there isnt even a question, .380 wins, hands down.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I carry a NAA 22 Mag in my pocket as a backup to my Browning HP or Colt Commander. The 22 Mag is a good round and a 5 shot tiny revolver makes a good back up piece.

adws943

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2013
    I carry a .380 most of the time. I hope I never have to use it in defense mode. I pray it will get the job done if i do.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    ...I know a few ex-cops who swear the 22 Mags will shoot thru the old school vests.

How old school are you talking? Even the vests cobbled together in the late 1920s and 1930s from layers of cotton cloth and padding would stop the handgun calibers of the time. To overcome these vests, some LEOs began using the newer and more powerful 38 Super and 357 Mag. So, I'm calling baloney on this one.

What is everyone's opinion on this:...

Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel Ammo 22 Winchester Mag Rimfire (WMR) 40

It's what I have loaded in my NAA Pug when I run. ..

I think you're probably wasting your money. I have yet to see a .22 mag jhp that will expand when fired from a 1" barrel like the Pug's. So, it will likely behave like FMJ. Have you tested it out of your pug?

If you want decent penetration, the combination of a 2" barrel and FMJ will get you 14" in gel.

Keep in mind that the .22 mag was designed as a rifle round. Firing it out of barrels this short is NOTHING like firing it out of a rifle-length barrel; completely different story.

WWalker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 19, 2012
    This might not be the appropriate thread but I'll go ahead and say it...I think believing that revolvers function every time is a BIG fallacy:

Ever have a revolver jam or lock up on you? - The Firing Line Forums

I would much rather have a FTE in a semi-auto than cylinder lock up in a revolver. In the ONE time I've had a FTE with my carry gun (bad primer from personally reloaded ammo), I cleared it and was back in action. I've shot magnum revolvers with hot loads where I could not get the brass out of the cylinder after firing. Throw in there the threat of lock up and I'll stick with my semi.

I guess my point is if I'm taking a (small) risk of failure to function with either gun, I'm going to take the more powerful of the two...

I carry both revolver or a semi, just depends on my mood. No I haven't had a revolver lock up on me, I'm sure that's a *****, but still I wouldn't carry any semi w/o putting 200-300 rds. through it. Because of more moving parts ( i.e. slide, magazine spring ) smoothness of the feed ramp, there are just more things that can happen that aren't good. My 1911 I sometimes carry had 300 rds of hardball run through before I even attempted to run any HP's ( some of the 1911 are pretty tight when you get them ) All that being said carry what you want to, but when I carry it's not a mouse gun. ( except as a back-up )

dhw9am

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    380 Because

I would choose the 380, because it would be shot out of my ultra reliable
    Bersa Thunder 380.
    I have read, where Hornady and Speer have new 22 magnum ammo, that is
    designed for the 22 magnum revolvers.
    This new ammo, has enormous power, for a 22 magnum round.
    Ruger, has a new 22 magnum revolver, that would be perfect if that is the way you choose to go.

Top Bottom