• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Awesome! We are gonna go to Riley this weekend. Gonna have her compete in the groundhog shoot. Get her feet wet and have some fun.

That'll be a great learning experience.

Hanging out with Gary and Rich puts you near world class competition shooters. Absorb all you can from these guys.

Ski5252

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2023
    Greenwood
    Her first time shooting for groups. All these are 5 shot at 50yds. A bit windy out there today. She was using CCI standard velocity target 40gr. Not super consistent ammo, had some flyers plus her being a beginner haha. The very middle was her last grouping. Not too bad.

Attachments

• B775EA06-8A83-4EC8-9B93-5D245C043741.jpeg
      B775EA06-8A83-4EC8-9B93-5D245C043741.jpeg
      411 KB · Views: 30

Vimace

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 20, 2023
    Indianapolis
    Her first time shooting for groups. All these are 5 shot at 50yds. A bit windy out there today. She was using CCI standard velocity target 40gr. Not super consistent ammo, had some flyers plus her being a beginner haha. The very middle was her last grouping. Not too bad.
    That is amazing !! She must had a blast !!

Have you considered a "different" shooting platform? Aka... different rifle?

Ski5252

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2023
    Greenwood
    That is amazing !! She must had a blast !!

Have you considered a "different" shooting platform? Aka... different rifle?
    We have actually. We went to Riley conservation club today. Shot in the groundhog match. Lots of fun! Learned a lot too. We are definitely under scoped haha. While we were talking about getting her another scope we discussed even a different rifle. I do believe once we get a higher power scope and more consistent ammo she will be much better off. If not we will most likely change rifles too.

Vimace

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 20, 2023
    Indianapolis
    I was on the same wagon a few years back. But, due to work, family, everyday's life... I had not enough time to spend at the range that I'd like to.

I decided to shoot for fun, more than on a competitive way, but as I was progressing I decided to invest on something "better" off the counter... you know, something that would not break the bank.

Ammo, of course, but more important... An affordable, overall, rifle.

I started with a couple of cheap options... a Remington 597 "American version"... and a Ruger 10/22 bull barrel. After a few mods, trigger basically, they both are track drivers... they both auto loaders, and they both hold a special place in my collection.

Then, the affordable off the counter one... CZ 457 VARMINT MTR 20.5" Bull Barrel..., oh boy, it was love at first sight!!! Even customers, at the store on pick up day, were like "wow, that's a very nice looking rifle, what is it? ". The only modification was a trigger job @ 9oz.

It's a great shooter, with its Match Chamber, and the right ammo, it does its job...

Yes, there are other, if not many, options. But, for the money ($790 pre covid), IMHO you'd not gonna find anything better.

It shoots great, better than I can do. As many people know... EVERY single 22lr rifle is very particular about what type of ammo likes better...

I have my share finding the right ammo for my CZ., it turns out, it likes CCI SV, Wolff Match and SK rifle match.

On the pic attached, was 10 rounds of CCI SV @ 50yds, wind was helping

Shoot A LOT, shoot safely, and most and foremost... have fun !
    3a5abca559196af8f97f8d1adb4bddbc.jpg
    14e7b12a26a970e55e510afb4e29d142.jpg
    c96d20d73864b270e49c14b33e92b897.jpg
    07915c5078434615795603ca9b96f78a.jpg

Last edited:

Vimace

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 20, 2023
    Indianapolis
    We have actually. We went to Riley conservation club today. Shot in the groundhog match. Lots of fun! Learned a lot too. We are definitely under scoped haha. While we were talking about getting her another scope we discussed even a different rifle. I do believe once we get a higher power scope and more consistent ammo she will be much better off. If not we will most likely change rifles too.
    Right on, She would show a lot of improvement with a higher magnifier scope.

Here's the one I went with for my CZ

Again, something "affordable", at least to me, with lots of capabilities.

b8188ef70e3c45e794880cb3134c210c.jpg

Ski5252

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2023
    Greenwood
    I was on the same wagon a few years back. But, due to work, family, everyday's life... I had not enough time to spend at the range that I'd like to.

I decided to shoot for fun, more than on a competitive way, but as I was progressing I decided to invest on something "better" off the counter... you know, something that would not break the bank.

Ammo, of course, but more important... A affordable, overall, rifle.

I started with a couple of cheap options... a Remington 597 "American version"... and a Ruger 10/22 bull barrel. After a few mods, trigger basically, they both are track drivers... they both auto loaders, and they both hold a special place in my collection.

Then, the affordable off the counter one... CZ 457 VARMINT MTR 20.5" Bull Barrel..., oh boy, it was love at first sight!!! Even customers, at the store on pick up day, were like "wow, that's a very nice looking rifle, what is it? ". The only modification was a trigger job @ 9oz.

It's a great shooter, with its Match Chamber, and the right ammo, it does its job...

Yes, there are other, if not many, options. But, for the money ($790 pre covid), IMHO you'd not gonna find anything better.

It shoots great, better than I can do. As many people know... EVERY single 22lr rifle is very particular about what type of ammo likes better...

I have my share finding the right ammo for my CZ., it turns out, it likes CCI SV, Wolff Match and SK rifle match.

Shoot A LOT, shoot safely, and most and foremost... have fun

Very nice. Still have that setup ?

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.4%
    153   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    I honestly don’t even know what is available these days for match 22 ammo. As has been said many times, different rifles will like different ammos, but in general, I have had the best luck with Eley ammo for top end accuracy. I forget which one was tightest in my Savage MkII and my old Remington 514T, but I do recall their ‘Practice’ ammo was about 90% as accurate at about 60% of the cost, back in the day.
    for more ’readily available’ 22 ammo, I have found most every gun to shoot pretty well with CCI Standard Velocity. I have also heard many times that Stand Vel is Green Tag with a different label and lower price…

Ski5252

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2023
    Greenwood
    I honestly don’t even know what is available these days for match 22 ammo. As has been said many times, different rifles will like different ammos, but in general, I have had the best luck with Eley ammo for top end accuracy. I forget which one was tightest in my Savage MkII and my old Remington 514T, but I do recall their ‘Practice’ ammo was about 90% as accurate at about 60% of the cost, back in the day.
    for more ’readily available’ 22 ammo, I have found most every gun to shoot pretty well with CCI Standard Velocity. I have also heard many times that Stand Vel is Green Tag with a different label and lower price…
    Yeah I have heard eley is the best. I personally have never shot it. As far as cci ammo it isn’t the worst but she did have several fliers the other day. I’m not saying she didn’t make a slight mistake but I’m sure her mistake wasn’t as large as the rounds showed on paper.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    Yeah I have heard eley is the best. I personally have never shot it. As far as cci ammo it isn’t the worst but she did have several fliers the other day. I’m not saying she didn’t make a slight mistake but I’m sure her mistake wasn’t as large as the rounds showed on paper.
    As a general rule, Eley performs well out of most rifles. SK is cheaper and generally performs as well or better. Lapua performs well but is pricey. RWS performs well also.
    When I talk to people about rimfire accuracy 1st good trigger, not a super light trigger, but a good clean break when you squeeze it. 2nd follow thru is everything. After breaking the shot stay on the gun in position, count to 5 with out moving. Look at it this way, the projectile out of your 223 is already 210 yards down range by the time the bullet leaves the barrel when firing a 22lr! If fired at the same time.
    Now practice by dry firing for 15 mins to an hour every night.

Now test ammo....this way your breaking the shop consistently, your in the same position consistently.

Remember it's not the equipment, but how well you can use the equipment you have

Vimace

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 20, 2023
    Indianapolis
    Yes, I dont think I'd get rid of it, ever.

TIP, something that worked for me is DOUBLE ear protection, I use silicone earplugs under my ear muffs. It'll help to focus on your shooting without being distracted. Specifically when training and having those folks with HIGH power rifles next to You

Amazon is your best choice to order earplugs on different sizes

Last edited:

Ski5252

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2023
    Greenwood
    As a general rule, Eley performs well out of most rifles. SK is cheaper and generally performs as well or better. Lapua performs well but is pricey. RWS performs well also.
    When I talk to people about rimfire accuracy 1st good trigger, not a super light trigger, but a good clean break when you squeeze it. 2nd follow thru is everything. After breaking the shot stay on the gun in position, count to 5 with out moving. Look at it this way, the projectile out of your 223 is already 210 yards down range by the time the bullet leaves the barrel when firing a 22lr! If fired at the same time.
    Now practice by dry firing for 15 mins to an hour every night.

Now test ammo....this way your breaking the shop consistently, your in the same position consistently.

Remember it's not the equipment, but how well you can use the equipment you have
    Great advice ! Thank you! We will definitely practice as you said and change some ammo for consistency.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ... I have found most every gun to shoot pretty well with CCI Standard Velocity. I have also heard many times that Stand Vel is Green Tag with a different label and lower price…

I always wondered how much better green tag was vs CCI Standard. :yesway:

I have a pretty good batch of CCI Standard, knowing it (or I :n00b:) can't run with the big dogs. My practice experience with CCI Standard is that it's consistent most of the shots. 7-8, or even 9 out of ten won't cut it though against others dropping $.25 - $.50 a round. Especially at longer ranges. :twocents:

Ski5252

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2023
    Greenwood
    Wow great advice thanks for these posts and the thread.
    I agree. Good stuff on here.

I have a pretty good batch of CCI Standard, knowing it (or I :n00b:) can't run with the big dogs. My practice experience with CCI Standard is that it's consistent most of the shots. 7-8, or even 9 out of ten won't cut it though against others dropping $.25 - $.50 a round. Especially at longer ranges. :twocents:

Yeah we noticed a Flier about every 5-6 shots roughly. Not saying CCI is bad. Just saying it for sure didn’t shoot as consistent as Aguila competition target seemed to. Hoping eley outperforms that even.

tgeorge21

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 19, 2023
    Feet
    my favorite range 22lr is federal automatch, shoot it in my henry h001 and man its good. However, I recently got into 22wmr and man I wish this stuff was more available, it's so much more accurate than 22lr

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    my favorite range 22lr is federal automatch, shoot it in my henry h001 and man its good. However, I recently got into 22wmr and man I wish this stuff was more available, it's so much more accurate than 22lr
    Auto match is OK for range ammo, it's great for plinking , but if your chasing the X ring that ammo will not get the job done. Nobody shoots high velocity in competition (except maybe smallbore silhouette) .
    The poster who started this thread is shooting a winchester 52, not a rifle most people would shoot bulk blasting ammo out of.
    22wmr is not "legal " for any competition , so we are comparing apples to green paint.
    The original poster is just starting to dabble in benchrest.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany

Years ago, I used to do machine rest (Ransom Rest) testing of ammo in my pistols at 50 yards. I found out that Green Tag didn't shoot as well as CCI SV in my pistol. OTOH, CCI Pistol Match shot 10 shots under an inch! One thing is certain is that different .22 caliber guns like different ammo and even the same ammo may shoot differently by different lot numbers. These days of amped up production, some people complain about QC or lack thereof, with the ammo that used to shoot very well before COVID. The only way to find out how different .22 caliber ammos shoot in your gun is to find a way to reliably compare them in YOUR gun. Most premium ammo, like Eley, RWS, Lapua, SK Jagd, etc. will give pretty consistent performance, but you may find that a cheaper brand will actually group better.

Ski5252

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2023
    Greenwood
    Years ago, I used to do machine rest (Ransom Rest) testing of ammo in my pistols at 50 yards. I found out that Green Tag didn't shoot as well as CCI SV in my pistol. OTOH, CCI Pistol Match shot 10 shots under an inch! One thing is certain is that different .22 caliber guns like different ammo and even the same ammo may shoot differently by different lot numbers. These days of amped up production, some people complain about QC or lack thereof, with the ammo that used to shoot very well before COVID. The only way to find out how different .22 caliber ammos shoot in your gun is to find a way to reliably compare them in YOUR gun. Most premium ammo, like Eley, RWS, Lapua, SK Jagd, etc. will give pretty consistent performance, but you may find that a cheaper brand will actually group better.
    Absolutely I agree. Every rifle with specific ammo can differ. Gonna work with different brands and find out. Thanks!

Top Bottom