• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ski5252

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2023
    Greenwood
    Winchester 52, nice rifle! What kinda competition do you/her shoot?

You will have to shoot for groups and decide for yourself. I have 2 identical Anschutz each perfers a different load, but both shoot equally OK (not great, but ok) on lower cost ammo. You might find for practice you use a lower cost ammo and for match day you use your preferred ammo.
    Thanks. Yes the 52 is a tac driver. She will be the one shooting in the competitions. She loves shooting. We plan on just using the expensive stuff for comp. As long as it shoots well in her rifle. Never know may just eat up the cheap stuff. That would be great. So far Aguila has been the best through it. That’s only comparing to cheaper stuff. Haven’t put anything through it of “higher quality”.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Again, we'd love to know more about what kind of competition you are chasing.

And that's not a trick question, if you don't know yet, or even what is available.

There are a few members around here that have been "around the block", and all started at approximately square #0. That's actually the most exciting part of the thing, to be honest.

We won't grill you any more than you want, but there are some serious resources around, if you know where to look and who to ask.

Ski5252

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2023
    Greenwood
    Again, we'd love to know more about what kind of competition you are chasing.

And that's not a trick question, if you don't know yet, or even what is available.

There are a few members around here that have been "around the block", and all started at approximately square #0. That's actually the most exciting part of the thing, to be honest.

We won't grill you any more than you want, but there are some serious resources around, if you know where to look and who to ask.
    Looking to just get her in just bench rest comps for now. 50 to 100yds.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    Looking to just get her in just bench rest comps for now. 50 to 100yds.
    I'm sorry I don't much about BR, but I do know a little (more then I let on to) about rimfire.
    I'm a sling shooter (who still shoots "irons") @natdscott probably will know more about BR then I do

Even if she (&you) only shoot prone matches, have you considered 3P (like ISSF or Olympic)

I believe the CMP has an F class smallbore match during the National Matches

Show & tell on your gun/set up and keep us posted.

Aaron

Ski5252

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2023
    Greenwood
    I'm sorry I don't much about BR, but I do know a little (more then I let on to) about rimfire.
    I'm a sling shooter (who still shoots "irons") @natdscott probably will know more about BR then I do

Even if she (&you) only shoot prone matches, have you considered 3P (like ISSF or Olympic)

I believe the CMP has an F class smallbore match during the National Matches

Show & tell on your gun/set up and keep us posted.

Aaron
    She is shooting a Winchester model 52 (bolt gun) I’m sure you knew but just in case. Has a vortex crossfire 2, 2-7x32 scope.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    If you and your daughter venture to the Bedford area, you'll likley stumble onto a Woman's Rimfire Sporter National Champion. Rimfire Sporter isn't benchrest, and it sure isn't boring.
    As much as I'm deeply invested in high power, rimfire sporter is my favorite match to shoot! I'm always down on the big end, stop by and say hi.... July 7/8 camp perry!!

The AMU will be offering the clinic again this year

Aaron

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Not really. You can sort them by rim thickness or resize them with something like the old Paco Accurizer die and you MIGHT see a tiny improvement in your groups. But the majority of fliers are from manufacturing inconsistencies that you can’t change such as difference in powder charge, not seating/crimping consistently, etc.

From what I recall, there are usually only 2-3 different “types” of ammo that most companies produce. From there, the lot gets tested. Lots that produce more accurate/precise/consistent groups are given a higher label. For instance with Lapua, Midas+ and Center-X are the same ammo. However, during production, lots that turn in higher levels of performance are sold under the Midas+ label, whereas lots of a lower (though still exceptional) performance would be sold under the Center-X label.

So really, you best chance of getting better performance is to buy the best quality you can afford. Test lots yourself when you can, and then buy as much if that lot as you can find/afford. That’s really the only surefire way to get as much accuracy as possible with rimfire ammo short of the few boutique ELR handloading options that exist.
    Exactly right. When you test the better stuff and find what you like, a little detective work on the maker's website will give you a good idea on what the lower grade ammo companion is. Use the good stuff for matches and practice with the cheaper stuff. Also, some times the makers will turn out an exceptional lot and have too much of the good stuff and not enough of the lower grades to meet demand. So, instead of sitting on tons of ammo they put the good stuff in the cheaper boxes. Costs them the same either way so it doesn't hurt them financially, keeps the $ flowing, and makes a lot of shooters happy. Happy shooters are repeat customers.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    Very cool! Wouldn’t mind my daughter meeting her!
    Sign up for the April event and give Rimfire Sporter a try. She's likely to be there since she's the match director ... Bedford Contingent Monthly 2023 Rimfire Sporter Match - Civilian Marksmanship Program (thecmp.org)

Here's some light reading before heading to the Bedford Contingent event ...

Revere’s Riders Instructor Sets New National Record at 2019 CMP National Rimfire Sporter Match | Revere's Riders (reveresriders.org)

Redicker Claims Two of Three Class Wins During the National Rimfire Sporter Match - Civilian Marksmanship Program (thecmp.org)

Nate will provide the more serious reading list. As others have noted above, listen to this man ... he knows very well what he is about.

Ski5252

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2023
    Greenwood
    Sign up for the April event and give Rimfire Sporter a try. She's likely to be there since she's the match director ... Bedford Contingent Monthly 2023 Rimfire Sporter Match - Civilian Marksmanship Program (thecmp.org)

Revere’s Riders Instructor Sets New National Record at 2019 CMP National Rimfire Sporter Match | Revere's Riders (reveresriders.org)

Redicker Claims Two of Three Class Wins During the National Rimfire Sporter Match - Civilian Marksmanship Program (thecmp.org)

Nate will provide the more serious reading list. As others have noted above, listen to this man ... he knows very well what he is about.
    Nice! Thank you for all the information! Much appreciated!

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven

While not near cool as winning the match, I have collected a few of theseResized_20210725_205304(1).jpg

Ski5252

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2023
    Greenwood
    Awesome! We are gonna go to Riley this weekend. Gonna have her compete in the groundhog shoot. Get her feet wet and have some fun.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Awesome! We are gonna go to Riley this weekend. Gonna have her compete in the groundhog shoot. Get her feet wet and have some fun.
    This will be a good place to start. She will probably enjoy that.

I didn't realize Camp Perry had a rimfire F-class event. There are apparently a lot of fun things to do with rimfires these days.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom