• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • citrigin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Agree on the $30 vs $2k scope comment. That said, the quality increases quickly all the way up to the $500 level, and then only incrementally beyond that. For a .22lr, spending more than $300 -$400 would be crazy.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Agree on the $30 vs $2k scope comment. That said, the quality increases quickly all the way up to the $500 level, and then only incrementally beyond that. For a .22lr, spending more than $300 -$400 would be crazy.

i have a 850 dollar scope on my 22, but i expect alot more from my 22 than most folks do. that said you can get a quality scope for 3-400 dollars no problem.

for me i wanted a front focal plane scope and you can not get a quality ffp scope for 3-400.

for years i thought the same way as you that its crazy to put that much money into a 22. then i built a 260 and had over 4000 in it. ive had it for a little over a year and have roughly 700 rds down the tube. that got me thinking, how can a 1800 dollar scope on a gun ive only shot 700 times in a year make scence and a 850 dollar scope on a gun ive shot thousands of times in the last year be crazy. bottom line spend 5 times as much time behind my 22 as i do anyother gun i own. why not put some money in it.

the above makes scence for me and my style shooting. if your a shooter who grabs his 22 every august-october to kill some tree rats at 50 yds i highly doubt it make scence for you

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    i have a 850 dollar scope on my 22, but i expect alot more from my 22 than most folks do. that said you can get a quality scope for 3-400 dollars no problem.

for me i wanted a front focal plane scope and you can not get a quality ffp scope for 3-400.

for years i thought the same way as you that its crazy to put that much money into a 22. then i built a 260 and had over 4000 in it. ive had it for a little over a year and have roughly 700 rds down the tube. that got me thinking, how can a 1800 dollar scope on a gun ive only shot 700 times in a year make scence and a 850 dollar scope on a gun ive shot thousands of times in the last year be crazy. bottom line spend 5 times as much time behind my 22 as i do anyother gun i own. why not put some money in it.

the above makes scence for me and my style shooting. if your a shooter who grabs his 22 every august-october to kill some tree rats at 50 yds i highly doubt it make scence for you

You may want to check out this little $300 FFP beauty.

PFI

SWFA Pride Fowler Rifle Scopes Pride Fowler Rapid Reticle .22 Rifle Scopes

This will be on my forthcoming CZ, after reading a stellar review at the snipershide forums.

With .22 ammunition, in the 1200 to 1300fps range, you simply sight your rifle at 50-yards, and will hit POA out to 200 yards with the provided reticle stadia marks... Accounting for wind of course.

They also make versions for the .22 Magnum and 17 HMR.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    You may want to check out this little $300 FFP beauty.

PFI

SWFA Pride Fowler Rifle Scopes Pride Fowler Rapid Reticle .22 Rifle Scopes

This will be on my forthcoming CZ, after reading a stellar review at the snipershide forums.

With .22 ammunition, in the 1200 to 1300fps range, you simply sight your rifle at 50-yards, and will hit POA out to 200 yards with the provided reticle stadia marks... Accounting for wind of course.

They also make versions for the .22 Magnum and 17 HMR.

i have checked out that scope and im not overly impressed. im not sure about the internal elevation in that scope but with a 1 inch tube i highly doubt there is enough to get a 22 out to 300yds.

no extrenal turrets so i have to use holdover on a bdc recticle. its rare that a bdc recticle is right for your gun, ammo, conditions. plus that recticle only goes to 200 yds. so to shoot further than that id just have to guess.

there is no way to take measurements in that recticle for ranging purposes.

plus ill never shoot 200 yards with 1200-1300fps ammo out of a 22lr. i only shoot subsonic for long range rimfire. i have a pst 4-16. i garentee there is not a better ffp scope in its price range or lower. i have also tried the falcon menace and it was a nogo aswell.

for me on a 22 that particular scope is a long ways down the list

top hat 45

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 4, 2008
    northern shelby co.
    i'm impressed with the number of 22's that will shoot 1 moa at 100 yds. am curious tho, how many shots are you taking and still holdin 1 moa? big difference in 3, 5, 10, or 25 shots stayin in that group.

22 barrels get finicky about holding same poi after 25 or so shots because the barrels heat up and move

been thinking about having a little warm up shoot in spring a week or 2 before vettes shoot just to get a little testing done. bipod or bench , prone or rest, up to you.

what do you think?....daryll

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    i'm impressed with the number of 22's that will shoot 1 moa at 100 yds. am curious tho, how many shots are you taking and still holdin 1 moa? big difference in 3, 5, 10, or 25 shots stayin in that group.

22 barrels get finicky about holding same poi after 25 or so shots because the barrels heat up and move

been thinking about having a little warm up shoot in spring a week or 2 before vettes shoot just to get a little testing done. bipod or bench , prone or rest, up to you.

what do you think?....daryll

sounds like a winner, im not decided yet on what my shoot will be this year yet. i think ill be hosting a applesead one weekend but ill still have my traditional ingo shoot, im just not sure what we will be shooting yet.

as far as how many rounds and still holding moa the most ive tried at 100 yds is 5rds. out past 100 yards i really dont shoot targets i shoot steel so i dont know if my gun will hold moa past 100 or not.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    i have checked out that scope and im not overly impressed. im not sure about the internal elevation in that scope but with a 1 inch tube i highly doubt there is enough to get a 22 out to 300yds.

no extrenal turrets so i have to use holdover on a bdc recticle. its rare that a bdc recticle is right for your gun, ammo, conditions. plus that recticle only goes to 200 yds. so to shoot further than that id just have to guess.

there is no way to take measurements in that recticle for ranging purposes.

plus ill never shoot 200 yards with 1200-1300fps ammo out of a 22lr. i only shoot subsonic for long range rimfire. i have a pst 4-16. i garentee there is not a better ffp scope in its price range or lower. i have also tried the falcon menace and it was a nogo aswell.

for me on a 22 that particular scope is a long ways down the list

Have you taken a look at the Weaver Tactical 3-15x50 with the EMDR reticle? I chose the Weaver, while waiting for the Vortex PST, when I was looking for a FFP under $1000. Later, I had the opportunity to look through the 16x and 24x PSTs, and decided that my decision was a good one, as I still preferred the Weaver's glass. The only thing I lost with the Weaver was the Zero Stop, which wasn't the biggest concern for my purposes. The Weaver, being made by Light Optical Works from Japan was another reason I chose the Weaver as well.

If you get a chance, take a good look at the new Weaver Tactical. I actually think it is the best FFP for under $800 and sometimes under $700, if you use a MidwayUSA code.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Have you taken a look at the Weaver Tactical 3-15x50 with the EMDR reticle? I chose the Weaver, while waiting for the Vortex PST, when I was looking for a FFP under $1000. Later, I had the opportunity to look through the 16x and 24x PSTs, and decided that my decision was a good one, as I still preferred the Weaver's glass. The only thing I lost with the Weaver was the Zero Stop, which wasn't the biggest concern for my purposes. The Weaver, being made by Light Optical Works from Japan was another reason I chose the Weaver as well.

If you get a chance, take a good look at the new Weaver Tactical. I actually think it is the best FFP for under $800 and sometimes under $700, if you use a MidwayUSA code.

ive never held a weaver tactical so i cant say one way or the other. by the state they appear very similar. i know weavers warrenty is not as good as vortex's. the pst is made in japan but im not sure where. silimar zoom range. the pst has illminated recticle (im not sure about the weaver) im not a mil shooter so the embr recticle has no appeal to me what so ever. not to start a mil vs moa argument because they are both units of measurement they do the same thing.

a side by side comparision would be interesting.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    ive never held a weaver tactical so i cant say one way or the other. by the state they appear very similar. i know weavers warrenty is not as good as vortex's. the pst is made in japan but im not sure where. silimar zoom range. the pst has illminated recticle (im not sure about the weaver) im not a mil shooter so the embr recticle has no appeal to me what so ever. not to start a mil vs moa argument because they are both units of measurement they do the same thing.

a side by side comparision would be interesting.

If you prefer the math of MOA ranging, then the current MIL/MIL-based Weaver is not a good choice.

If it matters, the PST line is actually made in the Philippines for Vortex. The Weaver is also illuminated in both red and green modes. The Weaver has a lifetime warranty, so I'm not sure how Vortex beats them, unless you are talking in general terms about Vortex's outstanding reputation for their warranty.

I do like the PST line of scopes, but after evaluating the PST's and the new Weaver side by side, I came away with a personal impression that the glass on the Weaver was quite a bit better than the 16x and only slightly better than the 24x. The Weaver also seemed to have the best clarity at the maximum resolution, although that max is still less than either of the Vortex's.

I would put any of the above scopes on my rifles, and if you are a MIL/MIL shooter, I would consider the Weaver at the top of the list.

I'll be down in the Connersville area next Saturday if you would like to take a look at the Weaver Tactical.

Last edited:

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    If you prefer the math of MOA ranging, then the current MIL/MIL-based Weaver is not a good choice.

If it matters, the PST line is actually made in the Philippines for Vortex. The Weaver is also illuminated in both red and green modes. The Weaver has a lifetime warranty, so I'm not sure how Vortex beats them, unless you are talking in general terms about Vortex's outstanding reputation for their warranty.

I do like the PST line of scopes, but after evaluating the PST's and the new Weaver side by side, I came away with a personal impression that the glass on the Weaver was quite a bit better than the 16x and only slightly better than the 24x. The Weaver also seemed to have the best clarity at the maximum resolution, although that max is still less than either of the Vortex's.

I would put any of the above scopes on my rifles, and if you are a MIL/MIL shooter, I would consider the Weaver at the top of the list.

I'll be down in the Connersville area next Saturday if you would like to take a look at the Weaver Tactical.

your correct the razor is made in japan the pst is made in the Philippines.

as for the warrenty being better weavers warrenty is good as long as you are the original purchaser and it is deamed weavers fault. if do somthing to break your scope its on you.

vortex has a one of a kind warrenty. they dont care if you the first or the 50th owner. they dont care if its your fault or theirs they fix or replace it free. noone in the optics industury that im aware of makes such claims and ive personally seen vortex back there claim up. even there crossfire 150 dollar scope carries that warrenty. noone warrentys a 150 dolar scope like that.

id love to get some hands on experiance with your weaver. this comming saturday ill have a booth at a gun show in richmond. next saturday ill be in indy at family christmas. but ill send you a pm and mabye we can get together and bang some steel

geno2k

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2011
    I had the chance to shoot one of the single shot .22's from the CMP. That rifle allowed me to stack all the rounds I fired into a single hole at 50 yds with the iron sights. The hole was easily covered with a dime. This was with the cheapest of federals. I have little doubt that sub-moa groups were well within the realm of possibility, especially with a halfway decent scope. Too bad the owner wouldn't even consider a sale. That rifle is easily the most accurate thing I have ever had my hands on.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I had the chance to shoot one of the single shot .22's from the CMP. That rifle allowed me to stack all the rounds I fired into a single hole at 50 yds with the iron sights. The hole was easily covered with a dime. This was with the cheapest of federals. I have little doubt that sub-moa groups were well within the realm of possibility, especially with a halfway decent scope. Too bad the owner wouldn't even consider a sale. That rifle is easily the most accurate thing I have ever had my hands on.

it was probably a 40x or kimber 82. and yes they are extreamly accurate. therer is actuallly a kimber 82 in the classifieds now

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I just picked up an old Winchester (falling-block) 1885 Low-wall that some-one had put a Winchester model 52 barrel on.
    The Low-wall was originally a .22short, but the model 52 barrel is .22Lr
    I haven't had a chance to put it through it's paces, but I have a feeling it will shoot better than I do.

MarkRW

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    I've been shooting my .22 (Savage GV) at Fall Creek Valley Conservation Club.

In September, a teenage girl shot 600-43x (60 shots) with peep sights prone at 100 yards with her Anschutz.

FALL CREEK VALLEY CONSERVATION CLUB
    (click on "smallbore", then scroll down to find info)

top hat 45

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 4, 2008
    northern shelby co.
    I've been shooting my .22 (Savage GV) at Fall Creek Valley Conservation Club.

In September, a teenage girl shot 600-43x (60 shots) with peep sights prone at 100 yards with her Anschutz.

FALL CREEK VALLEY CONSERVATION CLUB
    (click on "smallbore", then scroll down to find info)

i looked at the web site. can you expound on the target they shot. i would like to see a target that 22's shoot for competitions at 100 yds.

Top Bottom