• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I would in no way use a .22 for my main defense gun. My question is though, if you had too use a .22 for self defense. What round would you use? Velocitors, stingers. etc. Just curious to see what you guys would choose.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I would in no way use a .22 for my main defense gun. My question is though, if you had too use a .22 for self defense. What round would you use? Velocitors, stingers. etc. Just curious to see what you guys would choose.

I have been really impressed with accuracy of the CCI Quick shok. The bullet that seperates into (3) equal sections on impact. I would seriously question the penetration of these though. I would probably have a mag loaded with them and also the Velocitors. I personally aren't too big a fan of the stinger. I have (2) guns that wont shot them due to their extra length of the case. Ruger even warns in their manual not to shoot them out of their tighter chambers in target barrels for the 10-22.

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    with .22LR you have to make sure feed and fires reliably out of your firearm first, then pick ones you know it works. I would use anything HV, not the best but I would use my dedicated AR if needed. A face full of .22 would be nasty.

H.T.

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    Fishers -MSG 2
    Back in the 80's I believe it was in Fl. a 11 yr old boy was home alone when intruders broke in 3 or 4 men. the boy hid and got his .22 lver action. he shot the intruders one fell outside dead on the lawn. Can't recall what happend to the other two.
    Not my first choice for defense, but it will work. Don't know what rounds he was using.

doglb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   1
    Jul 13, 2009
    Ft. Wayne, IN
    mini mags seem to work really well in my double deuces!
    overall, I would agree a .22lr isnt the best defense weapon, however it is better than nothing at all. Also as a survival caliber, for small game, etc. I think its a pretty good choice.

Cat-Herder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2009
    Fortville
    I'll stick with .357 and larger for my defensive guns, but really....I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of a well thrown rock, let alone a .22lr or bigger. When you start talking about wound channels, I'm just not into having them!

I'm a big fan of the CCI minimags as well. They seem to cycle in everything.

matthewdanger

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    If someone were for some reason limited a .22LR for self defense, velocity shouldn't be the only criteria that they base their ammo choice on. Reliability should be a key concern.

The .22LR is an inexpensive round and it often tends to be manufactured with the bare minimum of care and attention. Nearly anything that comes in a bulk pack is probably not going to be as reliable as I would want in a self defense round.

CCI and Aguila, in my experience, make very reliable ammo. I have had many dud rounds with Remington (everything from Golden Bullets, to Yellow Jackets, to Thunderbolts). Federal and Winchester bulk packs have been better but not by much. I would choose something like CCI Stingers or Velocitors or possibly a high velocity round from the Aguila line.

steve666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Indianapolis Eastside
    with .22LR you have to make sure feed and fires reliably out of your firearm first, then pick ones you know it works.
    That said, if Stingers work they would be my first choice. After that whatever hypervelocity round does work. If none of those then I would step down to Federal HV HP then, the other HV's, and so on down the line until I found the best round that would work reliably in my firearm.

.452browning

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    im most personal defense shows ive seen on outdoor channel and sportsman tv they recommend solid rounds and not HP's simply because they believe its better with a .22 to get as much penetration as possible rather than using a HP and it may not expand fully or get enough penetration to do serious damage....but ive never tested this to prove this or seen proof of it....so just get to be a good shot and go for the head shots if possible is my theory

darinb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Scott county,indiana
    I currently carry an old Iver Johnson 1900 revolver in my pocket loaded with CCI Stingers. They fire reliably. The reason for pocket carrying that revolver is because it is the only gun I currently own that I can carry anywhere and in any wardrobe and it is better than going unarmed when in dress type clothes. It also serves as a backup to my main carry. The .22lr is not the best self defense round but if that is all you have then you at least have a firearm. It is a great survival small game round too.

dagibson1507

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Aug 8, 2010
    Muncie, IN
    Another benefit would be cost. In tighter income situations you can actually afford to shoot and practice with it. Plus the recoil is light enough even a well taught child could defend the home like the afore mentioned boy.

blue2golf

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Evansville
    I've carried a .22 handgun (Ruger Standard or Single Six) for years while hiking.

Lately, due to possible meth heads and bigger animals roaming around, I've left the Standard at home and swapped out the .22lr cylinder for the .22 mag cylinder in my Single Six while hiking. I've also given the .45 Blackhawk more rotation into my hiking kit.

Deet

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    NWI
    I own a Marlin model 60 that I have shot thousands of rounds thru with zero failures. No ftf, fte, no light strikes nothing. It is by far the most reliable gun I have ever owned. I have shot every brand of ammo in the rain, snow and hot sun and no failures. I can shoot a hundred rounds from the bench into a 2 inch circle at 25 yards. When I shoot my Marlin I feel like superman, accuracy is simply unbelievable. I have shot squirrels, rabbits, coons, yotes and every bird imaginable. but....as a self defense round, no, only as a last resort. It has very little knockdown power against a man sized target. I love the 22lr but it does have its limitations. It is better to never let yourself get into a situation where you only had a 22lr for defense.

Top Bottom