• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I have two options that I own and have good opinions of. I am sure that there are many others.

Most of the the Heritage Rough Rider revolvers come with a .22lr and .22mag cylinder so you can fire either. You can usually find them for under $200 so it is a good value in my opinion. I have used ours to train my daughters to shoot pistols, and I can tell you that we all enjoy it. The finish is not the highest quality, but I keep mine very clean and have had no problems with the blued finish or barrel or cylinder.

heritage_15559.jpg

The second is the Walther P22. This is a semi automatic pistol that I have found fun to shoot and fairly reliable for a .22lr semi auto. Mine was a little picky with ammo at first, but over time and after the break in, is more forgiving. I liked it because it also came with a threaded barrel from the factory, so when I decide to go the suppressor route, the P22 with be good to go. I picked mine up new from one of the 1500 shows for less than $300.

One thing that frustrated me previously was that the magazines only hold 10 rounds, but they load quickly and are cheap enough to get some extras.

Hope it helps. My :twocents:...

Last edited:

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Ruger Mark series, Browning Buckmark, Walther P22, Sig Mosquito, ISSC M22, Taurus 94, Charter Arms Pathfinder

There are many good ones to choose from. Do you prefer a revolver or semiauto?

I personally own a P22 and a Pathfinder, love them both and shoot the hell out of them fairly often. My Walther is getting close to 20,000 rounds through it and still going good.
    Love the .22lr round, cheap to shoot and fun. Can afford to shoot all day long!

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    I have two options that I own and have good opinions of. I am sure that there are many others.

Most of the the Heritage Rough Rider revolvers come with a .22lr and .22mag cylinder so you can fire either. You can usually find them for under $200 so it is a good value in my opinion. I have used ours to train my daughters to shoot pistols, and I can tell you that we all enjoy it. The finish is not the highest quality, but I keep mine very clean and have had no problems with the blued finish or barrel or cylinder.

The second is the Walther P22. This is a semi automatic pistol that I have found fun to shoot and fairly reliable for a .22lr semi auto. Mine was a little picky with ammo at first, but over time and after the break in, is more forgiving. I liked it because it also came with a threaded barrel from the factory, so when I decide to go the suppressor route, the P22 with be good to go. I picked mine up new from one of the 1500 shows for less than $300.

One thing that frustrated me previously was that the magazines only hold 10 rounds, but they load quickly and are cheap enough to get some extras.

Hope it helps. My :twocents:...

That's the two I have also.

The P22, is tons of fun, and good practice for shooting auto's.

The rough rider is very accurate, and price is unbeatable. Buds has the 22lr version for $139 right now, or the 22lr/22mag for $149.

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Any Ruger Mark series would be good. My first .22 pistol was and still is a Ruger Single Six. Being a single action you are taking one shot at a time and that keeps you focused on the basics such as sight picture and triger control. Plus the pull on my Single Six is comparable to the pull on the Mark series. It also comes with the .22 & .22mag cylinders jus love the gun!

zenbruno

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    :+1:for Ruger Mark series.

This would be my suggestion, as well. I've introduced several friends (well, several past girlfriends) to pistol shooting with a MK II, with good results. I mean, the pistol shooting part had good results; the gf part, not so much. :)

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    A Bersa/Firestorm 22 is a great little gun. I've had a P22 for a couple of years and the Firestorm has all but replaced it when we go shooting. The P22 used to be among the most fun to shoot but the Firestorm took over that role. One nice thing about the Firestorm is that it's built on the same frame casting as the Bersa 380 and makes a great practice gun for those that carry the Bersas.

We also have a Heritage Rough Rider, and it is another fun one to shoot. We've put a lot of ammo through ours without a single issue. They can't be beat for the money spent.

Muntz

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 21, 2011
    Go with the Ruger. Lots of options and good practice for moving up to a 1911 if you choose to go that way

lrs019

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    I have a buckmark and love it...easy to shoot, and it has a rail I put a red dot on. :): I've also shot a Mark II and love that gun as well. Both are reliable. I can't tell you how many 1000's of rounds I've put through the buckmark, but I've been shooting it regularly in a league for about 4 yrs. now, in addition to shooting it for fun outside of the league. I recently took it to a woman's shoot and made it available for the other women to shoot...it was the most popular gun there!

captpaul

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 9, 2008
    Indy
    I agree a Ruger Single Six is the way to go for beginners. The inherent safety of a single action, coupled with the excellent handling characteristics, make the gun a winner.

Top Bottom