• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Geez, LB! The way you're going on INGO, I know more about your family's dirty laundry than my own. Try to keep a little mystery, will ya, buddy?

I know he can't own firearms and is screwed for a lot of jobs he might want. Consider it like a felony record.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    Geez, LB! The way you're going on INGO, I know more about your family's dirty laundry than my own. Try to keep a little mystery, will ya, buddy?

I know he can't own firearms and is screwed for a lot of jobs he might want. Consider it like a felony record.

The guys that I know have ended up getting a slap on the wrist and let go, ain't like the old days.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    The guys that I know have ended up getting a slap on the wrist and let go, ain't like the old days.

People do get smacked on the wrist for stuff sometimes. But if he did indeed receive a DD (RE-4) he is screwed. Like CIB said, it's basically like having a felony.

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN

He is not family, just a son of an old friend.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    People do get smacked on the wrist for stuff sometimes. But if he did indeed receive a DD (RE-4) he is screwed. Like CIB said, it's basically like having a felony.

Correct, but it's not just "like" a felony, but legally classified as such.
    You certainly speak the language of a veteran, but the only way to get a Dishonorable Discharge (we laughingly called it a "Duck Dinner") is to be tried and convicted by a general court martial.
    Anyone with a DD (RE-4) is classified as a felon and ineligible to work for the government in any capacity or even any contractor (that includes the likes of even McD's and Wal-Mart) that has contracts with the federal government.
    Screwed is putting it mildly.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    A gent who worked for me got kicked out of the Navy. When asked, he says he didn't get a DD but one just about as bad. I will say that it pretty much changed his future big time. Couldn't seem to land a good full-time job, wandered around the country doing odd jobs and working for food. Now he's 68 yrs old, no pension, drawing the minimum from Social Security and still working for food. He loves to tell all the stories of everywhere he's been and all the different jobs he's had and even brags about how bad he was in the military and all the trouble he created for the Navy.

wabash

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    SouthWest Indiana
    get a police criminal history report on him. see if it shows up.

he can probably get some low-paying factory work through temp agencies. after a couple years of that, he might be able to get something better.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Correct, but it's not just "like" a felony, but legally classified as such.
    You certainly speak the language of a veteran, but the only way to get a Dishonorable Discharge (we laughingly called it a "Duck Dinner") is to be tried and convicted by a general court martial.
    Anyone with a DD (RE-4) is classified as a felon and ineligible to work for the government in any capacity or even any contractor (that includes the likes of even McD's and Wal-Mart) that has contracts with the federal government.
    Screwed is putting it mildly.

Correct, that's why I qualified my statement by saying "if indeed." Yeah, it's not a felony, but the ramifications are about as bad on your life. If he got an RE-3, he's not nearly as screwed, he's just a POS, and they hand those out like candy. I saw quite a few of those (and a couple RE-4's) from prior service guys trying to get back in while I was in recruiting.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    In my Army days many years ago we were told that if we were AWOL over 30 days it was considered desertion. If this guy gets his act together, he should look into having the action reversed or expunged if possible. Ironic how a recent POTUS was a draft dodger.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    A gent who worked for me got kicked out of the Navy. When asked, he says he didn't get a DD but one just about as bad. I will say that it pretty much changed his future big time. Couldn't seem to land a good full-time job, wandered around the country doing odd jobs and working for food. Now he's 68 yrs old, no pension, drawing the minimum from Social Security and still working for food. He loves to tell all the stories of everywhere he's been and all the different jobs he's had and even brags about how bad he was in the military and all the trouble he created for the Navy.

Self induced misery. I have seen it more than I wanted to.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    On the order of things, isn't an honest DD rather difficult to get? Essentially needing felonious behavior when you're IN the military in order to even be eligible?

Perhaps this kid just got a BCD? (Mmmm...chicken....)

Note - I'm not .mil nor have I ever been.

Top Bottom