21 foot rule: Man kills 2 police officers with a knife ( GRAPHIC VIDEO )

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    Not really, there are few people in the US that have ever been in a "knife fight", just as there are very few people who have been in a "gun fight" including police. A fight with a particular weapon would imply an exchange with those weapons. We have edged weapon attacks and shootings. Basically a fight where weapons are involved.

I have successfully defended against and edged weapon attack three times. All three times I was armed with a pistol,OC, baton, and knife. The first two were dealt with using open hand combatives. The last one was a SWAT call out, and after a Taser failure I knocked the knife out of here hand with a baton (with lethal cover of two MP5s) long story. At no time did I ever think of drawing my own knife. Here is the example I use.

Liken the attack to a huge wall you are holding up, you need both hands to keep it from crushing you. If you step back to access a tool you will be crushed. Your best bet is to walk around the corner as you give the wall a good push backwards (moving to the outside).

I used to think that you have to have some great understanding of how to use and edged weapon to effectively defend against an edged weapon attack. Now I do not believe that is so. The first thing you need to understand is that the knife is a contact distance weapon that relies on movement to cause trauma. To control a contact distance weapon you have got to be within contact distance or a million miles away. The next thing is to understand that if you can, or are forced to make physical contact you cannot become involved in a wrestling match. You need to attack the head with things like elbow strikes, as you keep the arm extended to block movement. Let the m go when the are limp.

Those in Indy who have trained with me can vouch that it can be learned in a day, and you can pressure test it to build confidence.

As I watch the video the biggest thing that strikes me is that the officers should have stayed on the other side of the fence to issue verbal commands, when he attempted to come over or around it is time to fill him in. It would have focused their fire and prevented crossfire. If he started to retreat a decision would have to have been made on what in the US we refer to as the fleeing felon rule. Basically would a a reasonable officer believe that he was likely and capable of inflicted serious bodily injury and or death to others. In this case a big YES.

For those who think people are going to burst into flames when shot with your favorite round, take a look at how long it took for the subject to expire.- George

Top Bottom