• ...and so much more!
  • tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    What do we think about taking young bucks?

I have an open invite to a buddies woods that is just too far away for me to practically consider. I told him if by chance I chose to go down to not be concerned that I'd take his trophies because I am just in it for the meat. I'd only take does.

Buddy said he'd rather I took young bucks from his woods. Seemed to know what he was talking about, managing the population in his woods?

Long story short, the last couple seasons in my tiny piece of land to hunt, I have seen more bucks than does. Plenty of does around the rest of the year, but during seasons, mainly bucks.

I wonder if I shouldn't think a little more seriously about taking a buck in the back pasture? Seen a spike buck this evening. Should I not consider one so young?
    I usually buttons and smaller bucks walk. I like does for the freezer, but I haven't been seeing as many does as bucks the last several years. I figure it's due to the locations I hunt, which are mostly funnels and the time of the season I prefer to hunt, which is the seeking phase through the peak rut. I see alot of does on our property during summer and still see them on camera now, but we have a doe that has triplets and another that consistently has twins every year, so we choose to leave them alone. If it is on the public land that I hunt, mature does are fair game, but I have not had any shot opportunities the last few years. Personally, I don't like shooting does that have fawns or yearlings with her, but that's just me. I have done it, but that is usually when there is very little size difference between the doe and her kids. I figure they are mature enough that they will be just fine.
    I will say that if I had a landowner agreement that states if it's brown it's down, then that's what I would do. If you're just not seeing anything but young bucks and want or need the meat, you gotta do what you gotta do. No shame in that in my opinion. People should deer hunt how they want so they have the most enjoyment and will want to continue hunting. The caveat is that it's within the law in your area. Sorry for the ramble, but that's just my 2 cents.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    We came in already nothing moving my youngest has the flu but STILL wanted to go we sat almost 4hours she did good
    Sounds like you have a huntress! She napping yet? Couldn't wake my daughter this morning. Stayed up too late and fighting something too. She didn't miss anything but a sunrise.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    For the guys that have hunting shacks what kind of heaters do you use? I had one that ran off propane but it always had an odor to it.
    Mr. Heater infrared. Tank top. My daughter prefers a Buddy Heater -it toasts her PBJ sandwich better with the grill angle. As far as odor, if they can smell that, they can smell you.

66chevelle

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    greenfield
    We hunt ripley county and Hancock. My brother and I have only seen 2 deer this season. The buck I posted from ripley and a doe in Hancock. We have only missed 2 days so far. It has been very slow for us.

cg21

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Yep j
    Oh man that takes me back a couple years! Em, wake up and shoot that buck. Lol my little girl is 23

Just how it goes I hate when I wake them up and they can’t get their bearings
    And the deer is gone lol but oh well. As long as they keep wanting to go with me. Hoping to get some food plots put in to hopefully have more action next year…. And gonna lift that box blind 10’ in the air

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Yep j

Just how it goes I hate when I wake them up and they can’t get their bearings
    And the deer is gone lol but oh well. As long as they keep wanting to go with me. Hoping to get some food plots put in to hopefully have more action next year…. And gonna lift that box blind 10’ in the air
    How do you like your blind box?

It's been quiet here the past few days, but did catch two doe on camera this morning.

cg21

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    How do you like your blind box?

It's been quiet here the past few days, but did catch two doe on camera this morning.
    DIY 8x8 deer view flip up windows eventually will be 10’ up. I Love it first one I ever made did it for my dad and kids. It won’t be the last one and things will change on the next one.

I enjoy suffering in the elements becoming 1 with my deer….. but I’ll tell you what this is a different kind of fun lol

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    Mine are 5x5. I like to have the room to stretch my legs and I'm not right up on the heater.
    Try putting a bird feeder on it. It's pretty cool to look them in the eye when they come in. I was mobbed this morning.

Top Bottom