KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Does Indiana have a site to file witness slips in favor or against State Senate and House bills ? If so could you provide it to me, I believe all the support for 2a bills and against the anti's helps. tia.

I'm not certain about a list of witnesses. I've seen it in study reports but not on the IGA website. Brother Bill 3 would have more SA on that subject. There is live-feed and they'll update the archives with the testimony from each committee (link below, need the committee and date to find it.) Edit: use Internet Explorer to see the video, Firefox won't work.

Archives - Indiana General Assembly, 2019 Session

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Ok, here's the video for HB 1643 and the time points:
    Fast forward to 17:50 unless you want to sit through the horse stuff. It seemed much longer.

Take a look (Explorer, won't work on Firefox.) See what we're up against. This was church carry and free LTCH/5 year NICS exempt LTCH, not Constitutional Carry.

Synopsis of bill by Ben Smaltz

21:15: Vanderburgh County Sheriff

45:30: 1st MDA type

1:07:45: 2nd MDA type

1:13:45: Everytown rep Everett Vance (somehow not struck by lightning)

1:25:00: Me

1:32:00: Chris Kopacki (NRA Rep for Indiana)

1:41:50: Guy Relford

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Ok, here's the video for HB 1643 and the time points:
    Fast forward to 17:50 unless you want to sit through the horse stuff. It seemed much longer.

Take a look (Explorer, won't work on Firefox.) See what we're up against. This was church carry and free LTCH/5 year NICS exempt LTCH, not Constitutional Carry.

Synopsis of bill by Ben Smaltz

21:15: Vanderburgh County Sheriff

45:30: 1st MDA type

1:07:45: 2nd MDA type

1:13:45: Everytown rep Everett Vance (somehow not struck by lightning)

1:25:00: Me

1:32:00: Chris Kopacki (NRA Rep for Indiana)

1:41:50: Guy Relford

Thanks for that breakout. The witness mikes still hoover.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    House Education Committee meets in the house chamber, need to get one of those bills up in committee. The basement meeting rooms suck.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    1651 got kicked to next week:xmad:. Had some support standing by, Guy, A prosecutor and a retired judge.

Come on next hearing!
    HB 1651 passed out of committee 12-0 today. Provides transparency, makes the language more specific. Not perfect but a move in the right direction

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Bill (BB3, not the bill in question) posted the synopsis to HB 1643 in #133. After going through it I'd say it combines SB 88 (Houses of Worship and Firearms) with redefining school property. It definitely brings back (from last session) the 5 year/Brady Exempt LTCH and eliminates cost of the lifetime LTCH. I think the synopsis doesn't cover the impact on the following:

Below in bold is what the bill adds to the current Indiana code (not in bold). This is an important step and goes farther than SB 88. It eliminates the 24/7 "school property" from the church, the vacant lot, and when it's not being used as a school.

SECTION 7. IC 35-31.5-2-285, AS ADDED BY P.L.114-2012, 15 SECTION 67, IS AMENDED TO READ AS FOLLOWS [EFFECTIVE 16 JULY 1, 2019]: Sec. 285. (a) Except as provided in subsection
    (b), "school property" means the following:
    (1) A building or other structure owned or rented by: (A) a school corporation; (B) an entity that is required to be licensed under IC 12-17.2 or IC 31-27; (C) a private school that is not supported and maintained by funds realized from the imposition of a tax on property, income, or sales; or (D) a federal, state, local, or nonprofit program or service operated to serve, assist, or otherwise benefit children who are at least three (3) years of age and not yet enrolled in kindergarten, including the following: (i) A Head Start program under 42 U.S.C. 9831 et seq. (ii) A special education preschool program. 31 (iii) A developmental child care program for preschool children.
    (2) The grounds adjacent to and owned or rented in common with a building or other structure described in subdivision (1).
    (b) The term does not include any portion of a school property that is or is reasonably believed to be: (1) used nonexclusively by an organization or program described in subsection (a)(1) in accordance with a rental contract, time share contract, property covenant, easement, or other similar agreement; or
    (2) owned or rented and used by a person other than an organization or program described in subsection (a)(1) when the property is not under the exclusive use and control of an organization or program described in subsection (a)(1).

HB 1643, Firearms Matters (authored by Ben Smaltz) passed the Public Policy Committee 13-0 :rockwoot:Yes I did look, it's the introduced version with the definition change on school property, free lifetime LTCH/5 years NICS exempt LTCH, and some stuff about voter registration nobody talked about.

I'm shocked (make that, SHOCKED) at the 13-0. That means Summers voted for it. She might be an NRA-ILA F+ if she's not careful.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    HB 1643, Firearms Matters (authored by Ben Smaltz) passed the Public Policy Committee 13-0 :rockwoot:Yes I did look, it's the introduced version with the definition change on school property, free lifetime LTCH/5 years NICS exempt LTCH, and some stuff about voter registration nobody talked about.

I'm shocked (make that, SHOCKED) at the 13-0. That means Summers voted for it. She might be an NRA-ILA F+ if she's not careful.

Call me cynical, but my money is on "Oops, I pushed the wrong button".

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Call me cynical, but my money is on "Oops, I pushed the wrong button".

Good observation Cm. On that committee of the Moed would be yes, maybe Austin. Forestal was really obtuse and I'm shocked he voted yes (not Summers voted yes SHOCKED, but schocked.) 11-2 or 10-3 would've been what I expected.

SwikLS

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2015
    The Bunker
    So what happens if an officer seizes a firearm from someone on Friday evening but the clerk's office isn't open until Monday morning? That's more than 48 hours.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    HB 1253 - just posted this evening ...
    House Bill 1253 - Handgun training for teachers - Indiana General Assembly, 2019 Session

THIS GETS ITS OWN THREAD - summary is:

DIGEST

Handgun training for teachers. Creates a specialized firearms safety, education, and training curriculum (curriculum) for teachers. Specifies curriculum requirements. Authorizes funds from the Indiana safe schools fund to be used for curriculum related expenses. Provides that a person responsible for a justified use of force on school property is immune from civil liability and damages, including punitive damages, for any act or omission related to the person's justified use of force in certain instances. Provides that no entity or person, by reason of an agency relationship with a person responsible for a justified use of force on school property, may be held liable for damages, including punitive damages, for any act or omission related to the person's justified use of force on school property. Provides that the immunity concerning a justified use of force on school property prohibits the filing of any claim or action by the: (1) estate; (2) personal representative; (3) spouse; or (4) family member; of any person alleging injury or damages related to a justified use of force on school property. Repeals all provisions prohibiting the carrying or possession of a firearm on a: (1) school bus; or (2) property; that is owned or operated by a school. Defines certain terms. Makes conforming amendments.

WIN. PUSH IT. (and no need for SB 88 / SB 135)

HB 1253 is up for a hearing in the Education Committee on Monday 11 February/0830/House Chamber.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Draft for HB 1253. Education Committee link below.

House Committee on Education - Indiana General Assembly, 2019 Session

(Senator/Representative name here),
    I’m writing to encourage your support of HB 1253: Handgun Training for Teachers, authored by Representative James Lucas.
    Make no mistake: 98% of mass public shootings in this country since 1950 have occurred in (so-called) gun free zones. This isn’t hyperbole; this isn’t a talking-point. This is cold, hard mathematics and it is an undisputable fact.
    The term “gun free zone” is incredibly misleading at best. There are gun free zones such as courthouses (guarded by armed Sheriff’s Deputies) and the Indiana Statehouse (guarded by armed State Troopers and Capitol Police). Schools are one of the very few so-called gun free zones where murderers can expect no armed resistance.
    HB 1253 actually addresses this problem. It provides for an armed and trained resistance against murderers seeking the infamy first claimed at Columbine High School in Colorado. Put simply: deterrence works.
    In Richmond this past December a potentially horrific situation resulted in one death: that of the would-be mass murderer. This 13 year old took a family-member hostage to obtain firearms. The 13 year olds Mother called Police and a disaster was thwarted. Everyone did what they were supposed to do. Police were able to respond fast enough to be on-scene and engage the would-be murderer. To be honest, we got lucky.
    Again, your support of HB 1253 is greatly appreciated.
    Thank you,

Name
    Address
    Phone

SwikLS

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2015
    The Bunker
    No way that thing gets passed. Repealing every provision for possessing a firearm on school property by anyone will bring out the scaremongering big time and especially so if the national media picks up on it.

Now don't get me wrong, I hope it passes, but I'd be surprised if it did.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    No way that thing gets passed. Repealing every provision for possessing a firearm on school property by anyone will bring out the scaremongering big time and especially so if the national media picks up on it.

Now don't get me wrong, I hope it passes, but I'd be surprised if it did.

[video=youtube;54oqYyy_r_Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54oqYyy_r_Q[/video]

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    In other news:
    HB 1284 (Jim Lucas, Self-Defense Civil Liability immunity) passed the House on an 80-13 vote yesterday. Picked up three Senate sponsors including Senator Tomes.

HB 1643 (Ben Smaltz, combo church carry/new definition of school property/free lifetime LTCH/5-year NICS exempt LTCH/other stuff about voting) is in Ways and Means

HB 1651 (strengthens protections in Laird Law) added an amendment making PDs liable for damage/loss to confiscated firearms. Passed House 68-25 yesterday.

No other bills on our scope are up for hearings this week.

Top Bottom