• ...and so much more!
  • BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At my Hermitage
    Two Democrat Senators voted in favor of HB 1284, and stood to explain their vote: Sens. Niezgodski and Ford. All Republican Senators voted in favor.

There are a few pro-2A D's here in Indiana. More in the House than the Senate. Thanks for sitting through the live feed Chip. Greg Taylor didn't get the INGO nickname Senator Obtuse because he's greater than 90 degrees.

Does anyone have a link to the archive video/audio?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Guy Relford

@guyrelford

Just for the record, Senators

@JeanBreaux

@TimLanane

@eddiemelton4IN

@SenatorRandolph

@SenMarkStoops

@SenKarenTallian

and

@GregTaylor_33

all voted yesterday to allow violent criminals to sue their victims even if the victim acted in lawful and justified self-defense.

@93wibc

2:33 PM · Apr 9, 2019 · Twitter Web Client

Retweets

Torrent® Suppressors

@TorrentSuppress

·

2h

Replying to

@guyrelford

@JeanBreaux

and 7 others

Clearly reading is not required to run for office.

Guy Relford

@guyrelford

·

2h

I'm shocked. HB 1284 doesn't even apply unless force is justified under CURRENT Indiana law. How can our legislators be this uninformed?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Jean Breaux

@JeanBreaux

·

2h

Replying to

@guyrelford

@TimLanane

and 6 others

Not accurate. We voted not to allow individuals with no law enforcement training, who may or may not have appropriate training to know how to deescalate a situation, before using force

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Guy Relford

@guyrelford

·

2h

Absolutely incorrect. HB 1284 did NOTHING to change Indiana law as to when force is justified and when it is not. Did you even read it?

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I changed it up a bit so it does not get flagged as just a form letter. I suggest that if others copy and paste to do the same.

Sir,
    I’m writing to encourage you to sign HB 1284: Self Defense and the Defense of Others, into law.

Authored by Representative Jim Lucas, co-authored by Representatives Stutzman, Smaltz, and Goodin, and sponsored by Senators Tomes, Messmer, Garten, Doriot, Ford, Houchin, Freeman, Koch, Bohacek, Rogers, Kruse, Crane, and Raatz, HB 1248 provides for civil immunity in cases of justified use of force. Despite what the bill’s opponents said, it does not provide immunity where the use of force is NOT justified.

Indiana Code 35-41-3-2 covers the use of reasonable force in response to imminent unlawful force and when reasonable force includes deadly force: Occupied residence or vehicle; to prevent the loss of life, serious bodily injury, or a forcible felony; or to prevent the hijacking of an aircraft. It also contains the words: No person in this state shall be placed in legal jeopardy of any kind whatsoever for protecting the person or a third person by reasonable means necessary.

I believe this means the citizens of the Great State of Indiana should not be required to bankrupt themselves proving their innocence having been declared legally justified in using force under the law.

Again, please sign HB 1284 into law.

Thank you,
    Copy/paste/edit/send works every day of the week and twice on Sunday BF. If anyone cleans up my English I'm all for it (I prefer Excel to Word.)

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I'm not trying to clean up your work. I'm just trying to make it unique.

If I correct anything it is because I broke down and installed Grammarly.

It found 1,280 of my mistakes last month.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    According to NRA-ILA

On April 8[SUP]th[/SUP], the Indiana state Senate voted 42-7 to pass House Bill 1284 and on April 2[SUP]nd[/SUP], the state House of Representatives voted 75-21 to pass Senate Bill 119. Because of the modifications made to these bills during the process, both bills will now be headed to conference committees for further action.
    House Bill 1284, authored by Representative Jim Lucas (R-69), would provide immunity for a justified use of force in certain instances to help prevent frivolous lawsuits. Victims of violent crime shouldn’t be subjected to unnecessary civil suits, therefore being victimized twice. This bill would also require a court to award, in certain instances, reasonable attorney's fees if it determines a suit was brought unjustly, helping to prevent financial ruin for individuals protecting themselves and others.
    Senate Bill 119, authored by Senator Jim Tomes (R-49), was amended to include language with important self-defense concepts that were originally in House Bill 1643, which failed to advance from the House prior to the crossover deadline. The amended legislation keeps the original intent of SB 119, which is to make an important technical correction dealing with the transfer of certain firearms in Indiana. These concepts include extending four-year Licenses to Carry a Handgun (LTCH) to five years, eliminating fees for the new five-year LTCH, and clarifying the authority of private property owners to establish carry policies in places of worship. Removing barriers for lawful carry in Indiana, to include taxes and fees, is significant for many Hoosier gun owners that desire to carry for the defense of themselves and others.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    The video for the Senate Judiciary Committee hearing is finally up from 3 April.

IN THE NAME OF ALL THAT IS HOLY, FAST FORWARD TO 1:23:00

Senator Houchin, Senate sponsor (plus her husband went to my high school, just several years later) and Rep Shaibley (author) lead off.

1:46:40: Debbie Laird (Jake Laird's Mom)

1:49:45: Lee Buckingham, Hamilton County Prosecutor

1:51:15: Guy Relford

1:56:55: Me (thanks Mr Chairman for having me follow Guy)

1:59:40: Steve Rogers, Noblesville Dad

2:04:00: Everytown Generic DB

2:07:05 for over an hour: amendments and more amendments.

My notes (this is what I think my hieroglyphics say) crank up on amendment 12 concerning retired LEOs carrying in GFZs. Notes include "Freeman annoyed by Obtuse"; "Obtuse Sr wrong on current law".

Amendment 17 (Church Carry and 5-year NICS exempt LTCH/free after 2020). Notes include: Lanane: FMTT, Margot (NSFW, a saying from my boss in Korea); Obtuse yet again annoys Freeman; Obtuse Sr wraps around the axle on knowing who is armed in a church, Freeman reads the bill to him, OMG-SMN, ASK THEM!!

As always I encourage everyone to do their best going through this. Ya'll can fast forward, I couldn't.

Archives - Indiana General Assembly, 2019 Session

Last edited:

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    [FONT=&amp][/FONT][FONT=&amp]Chip Bennett Retweeted Jean Breaux[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]You either didn't read the bill, suck at reading comprehension, or you are simply lying. HB 1284 had zero impact on existing IN statutory definition of justified use of force in self-defense.In all cases: not a good look for an elected official. cc: @guyrelford @JimLucas0311
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Chip Bennett added,[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]Jean Breaux @JeanBreaux
    Replying to @guyrelford @TimLanane and 6 others
    Not accurate. We voted not to allow individuals with no law enforcement training, who may or may not have appropriate training to know how to deescalate a situation, before using force.

[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]4:27 PM - 9 Apr 2019
    [/FONT]

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Hopefully some day, I'll be able to follow in Kelly's footsteps and offer testimony offering support for a firearms bill at the statehouse.

If you can't make it to the statehouse there is always the option of showing up unannounced at at legislator's home to make your case in person. I've heard this usually works out well.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I use Twitter to talk Colts and firearm rights, and right now the Colts are in the off-season.

Hopefully some day, I'll be able to follow in Kelly's footsteps and offer testimony offering support for a firearms bill at the statehouse.

Come on down, I'll save you a seat.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    If you can't make it to the statehouse there is always the option of showing up unannounced at at legislator's home to make your case in person. I've heard this usually works out well.

Is it time for OPERATION VISIT BOSMA? I'm not saying OPERATION MOON BOSMA is off the table. :lmfao:

Top Bottom