2016 NWI INGO & DNR WINAMAC Famliy Event - Volunteers Needed!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    No, an expense write off is not the same as a deduction. Yes, any business can claim an advertising expense, but it does not have the same tax benefits as a charitable donation. Advertising expense is no different than buying toilet paper for the office crapper. It's an overhead expense.

Not trying to start a war here, but unless you can give me some specific example, I don;t think you know quite what you are talking aobut. For most businesses, there is no true distinction between "ordianry and necessary' business expenses and charitable contributions. TEhy both lower your taxable income. If anything, a charitable contribution may, in some circumstances, be less benficial to the donor than an advertising expense.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Not trying to start a war here, but unless you can give me some specific example, I don;t think you know quite what you are talking aobut. For most businesses, there is no true distinction between "ordinary and necessary' business expenses and charitable contributions. They both lower your taxable income. If anything, a charitable contribution may, in some circumstances, be less beneficial to the donor than an advertising expense.

Thank you. I own a small business and I am very diligent to take every allowable expense (but no more). I give to charity but that is personal and not deductible. If I give money to our Church school that is charitable and not deductible as an expense. If I buy an add in their yearbook that is deductible.

I do realize there are ways to structure a corporation so you can make contributions to a 501c3 through the corp. and write them off, but....

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    Thank you. I own a small business and I am very diligent to take every allowable expense (but no more). I give to charity but that is personal and not deductible. If I give money to our Church school that is charitable and not deductible as an expense. If I buy an add in their yearbook that is deductible.

I do realize there are ways to structure a corporation so you can make contributions to a 501c3 through the corp. and write them off, but....

Depending on the form of legal entity you are using for your small business, any charitable contribution by the business may end up being separately stated and passed through to the owner(s) in any case. Having said that, businesses can and do make chariable contributions that are dedcutible by the business all the time. A charitable contribution does not need to be made by an individual. Generally, the individual would take the charitable contriubiton as an itemized deduction.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Speaking of business still looking for around 5 more who would like to donate 20 bucks to appear on this years shirt.

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    Depending on the form of legal entity you are using for your small business, any charitable contribution by the business may end up being separately stated and passed through to the owner(s) in any case. Having said that, businesses can and do make chariable contributions that are dedcutible by the business all the time. A charitable contribution does not need to be made by an individual. Generally, the individual would take the charitable contriubiton as an itemized deduction.
    TAX WAR! lol. kidding.
    This ^ is more to they way I understand it. In my rush I worded my response poorly. Deductible yes, but not on your Schedule C. Instead, they’re deductible on your Form 1040, Schedule A. I think the only business entity that can deduct charitable contributions on their tax return is a C corporation. Every other entity, whether it’s an S Corporation, an LLC, or a partnership, has the amount contributed “flow through” to each member’s personal return.
    I didn't mean it infer that charitable was better or worse than normal expense, but different - because it is. Maybe it is $ for $ after all 62 of your forms are filled out both ways to compare from your corp. and personal together. I never pondered it that way. In any event it's more complicated than was implied.
    However, my response to the original comment that "advertising is always deductible" in relation to this event - I feel was correct, while probably lacking in clarity. You are not buying "advertising" on the back of the shirt. Now that we've clarified that I suck at getting my point across...

Sadly, I have been contracted to a client in Boston the weekend of this event and I will not be able to lead a spirited and jovial tax law discussion at lunch. :( Please remove me from the RO list.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I am not rich enough to donate enough to cover the standard deductions for my wife and I. You can not take both.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I am rich. I live in the richest country in the world. I own my home. There are 4 vehicles parked in front of my home. I have everything I want and want everything I have. I give as much as I feel I can (which is between me ,my wife and God), sometimes more than I feel I can.

That being said, the standard deduction for us has always been more than I can get with a Schedule A, since our medical costs are nearly nonexistent. Praise J__H.

I could manipulate my business identity and take a large portion off on a Schedule C, but I personally see that as, at least, slightly dishonest. It is technically legal, so I am not saying anyone else is doing wrong. Believe me I have bigger beams in my eye than that to worry about.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    We are now up to 555 with a donation by The Drakes Camo Customs LLC. Could use 4 more businesses to make the back of the shirt not look so bare. I will also close the door to money donations for shirts 4-1 to give us enough time to get the shirts made. So on 3-1-16 if you are a coach or volunteer please PM me the size you need and if you are a coach or volunteer. We will be using the same make of shirt as last year Gildens so if you have one from last year just look at the tag and let me know.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    TENTATIVE ASSIGNMENTS

25 YARD BENCH
    Bench 1: actaeon277
    Bench 2: UnionPMedic
    Bench 3: ricnzak
    RO: Blue Falcon

50 YARD BENCH
    Bench 1: Jen/Mel (with no suppressor .22 & left hand .22s)
    Bench 2: 1775usmarine
    Bench 3: chemteach
    Bench 4: black label
    Bench 5: sadclown (with AK and AR)
    RO: Andy219 & Adam (Larry's brother)

100 YARD BENCH (Skeet)
    Bay 1: mr.obnoxius1 (instructor) & girlfriend
    Bay2: unshelledpilot (instructor) & libertarian01
    RO: black label

PHOTOGRAPHERS
    Piobair

COOKS
    KLB
    Chef Larry
    Libertarian01 Friend

FLOATERS
    Libertarian01 goddaughter

SAFETY GREETERS
    Baddyna96
    Colleen

EXTRAs
    Bigrectic
    Actaeon277 dad

FOOD DONATIONS
    Libertarian01
    blue falcon
    ricnazk

Please note some of the changes in the line up.
    Baddyna96 do you and Colleen want to greet the kids and do the safety demo plus ID any left handers as well at the registration table?

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Please note some of the changes in the line up.
    Baddyna96 do you and Colleen want to greet the kids and do the safety demo plus ID any left handers as well at the registration table?

Looks like 25 shirts. My wife said a shop here in Laporte can do the printing for 2-3 per shirt if we buy the shirts ourselves for around 7 some larger ones will cost a bit more. So right now figure about 275 for our shirts and the rest for the children if we get approval. Otherwise the rest will go to what we need in terms of food, boards, and so on.

Andy219

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Cedar Lake, IN
    I'll look into getting hats again this year also. They'll probably be the same type as last time, may go with more of an off white color or maybe a fluorescent yellow or green, what say you? I like the light color do to the ease of locating a volunteer and it also helps deflect the sun.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    I'll look into getting hats again this year also. They'll probably be the same type as last time, may go with more of an off white color or maybe a fluorescent yellow or green, what say you? I like the light color do to the ease of locating a volunteer and it also helps deflect the sun.

I would go an off white, but the wife says green or yellow. Are you wanting a share of the shirt donations to cover the hats and if so when would you want it by? I plan on putting in for shirts 4-1.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom