• ...and so much more!
  • steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    What's on the menu?

I've got a couple chickens waiting to be spatchcocked, some potatoes, corn, veggies and a pineapple. Not sure how to do the pineapple yet, I'll probably look up some recipes.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    What's on the menu?

I've got a couple chickens waiting to be spatchcocked, some potatoes, corn, veggies and a pineapple. Not sure how to do the pineapple yet, I'll probably look up some recipes.

A couple of 8 pound butts, beyond that she's working on some green stuff, orange stuff, white stuff etc but who cares?:rockwoot:

jetmechG550

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    I've had a few butts going since 10:00 last night. A few pounds going to a couple parties and some for us. Test run on the XL I can fit 5-6 8lb butts on the rack, another 3 if I do the extended rack. :)

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I've had a few butts going since 10:00 last night. A few pounds going to a couple parties and some for us. Test run on the XL I can fit 5-6 8lb butts on the rack, another 3 if I do the extended rack. :)

Damn, that thing must be huge!:joke:

(Thought I'd throw the rimshot in now because I'll probably miss the inevitable comeback:laugh:)

semperfi211

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Near Lowell
    Trying to stop the flames from blowing out on my gas grill on a windy day.
    998179_10200203750401376_1781783826_n.jpg

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Date night - Steaks and veggies!

I decided to try cooking mine 'caveman-style'! I rubbed my steak down with some olive oil, kosher salt and garlic powder. Let it sit about 20 minutes. Then I fired up about 2/3 of a chimney of lump charcoal until it was blazing hot. Dumped it in the kettle, made a nice even top and plopped the steak right down on top. Cooked it 3 minutes on each side and pulled it.

2013-07-17%2020.05.56.jpg

2013-07-17%2020.16.35.jpg

2013-07-17%2020.59.34.jpg

Review: It came out nice and pink. It had a really good crust on the outside and some nice flavoring on the crust. My only complaint is that the crust was a little bitter for my liking. I'm wondering if the garlic powder charred and caused that. I'd probably leave out the garlic powder in the future.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Yep. The bitterness was the garlic powder. It burns very easily and gets real bitter when it does. I stick to just salt and pepper for seasoning on my meats. Anything else I might want will go on via a marinade or brining. Garlic and high heat are two things that don't go well together. Next time try baking a head of garlic in the oven and then serving up roasted garlic as a spread or side. It's unbeatable!

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Yep. The bitterness was the garlic powder. It burns very easily and gets real bitter when it does. I stick to just salt and pepper for seasoning on my meats. Anything else I might want will go on via a marinade or brining. Garlic and high heat are two things that don't go well together. Next time try baking a head of garlic in the oven and then serving up roasted garlic as a spread or side. It's unbeatable!

Alright, lesson learned the hard way. No more garlic powder for the high-temp grilling.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    If you want some garlic taste in the meat chop up a few cloves of garlic and add them to some low sodium soy sauce (I like Yamasa) and marinate for a few hours. More garlic will give you more garlic taste, so add according to your desire.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    If you want some garlic taste in the meat chop up a few cloves of garlic and add them to some low sodium soy sauce (I like Yamasa) and marinate for a few hours. More garlic will give you more garlic taste, so add according to your desire.

Alright, I'm gonna give that a shot. Thank you.

On a side note, I grilled my wife this thick juicy perfect steak. She put BBQ sauce on it. Tears were shed.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    BBQ sauce? The horror! LOL. In my household the only thing that goes on a steak is lemon juice. That's my fault, tho. I've used lemon juice on steak since I was a kid. Wouldn't think of using a sauce on anything except a hamburger steak or a pot roast.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    BBQ sauce? The horror! LOL. In my household the only thing that goes on a steak is lemon juice. That's my fault, tho. I've used lemon juice on steak since I was a kid. Wouldn't think of using a sauce on anything except a hamburger steak or a pot roast.

I think next time I'm just going to char a thick hamburger for her, call it a steak, and hand her the BBQ sauce. Good way to save a few bucks!

Top Bottom