• ...and so much more!
  • mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Yeah it was awesome.

So, don't turn it at all? Keep the breasts opposite the fire for the entire cook? I'll modify my recipe if that's the best way.
    Yep. Don't move it at all. It's not necessary if you position it right. You'll end up with nice juicy breast meat and non-tough dark meats. I do this even when I do them in the oven and the results are always great. Now all you need is some North Alabama White BBQ sauce. If I remember to I'll post my recipe up here for you.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Yep. Don't move it at all. It's not necessary if you position it right. You'll end up with nice juicy breast meat and non-tough dark meats. I do this even when I do them in the oven and the results are always great. Now all you need is some North Alabama White BBQ sauce. If I remember to I'll post my recipe up here for you.

Alright, I updated my instructions for n00bs. I'm going to try it without moving it next time.

Interested to see that recipe. I've never heard of white BBQ sauce.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    on the egg I do a spatchcock 350 direct on a raised grid for 1 hour

You guys and your eggs. :xmad:

Seriously though, I've been checking out the Char-griller kamado:

Amazon.com : Char-Griller 16619 Kamado Kooker Charcoal Barbecue Grill and Smoker, Black : Big Green Egg : Patio, Lawn & Garden

At $300 it's a much more realistic purchase for me, with all the medical bills going on around here. Does anyone have any experience with them?

I'm loving my kettle though, and I'm really not sure what this would do that the kettle won't. I suppose it will sear steaks a little hotter and save me some money on charcoal.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    White BBQ sauce is a North Alabama staple for poultry. Also pretty good on pulled pork. I baste my chickens with it and have even used it as a marinade before cooking. Keep it handy for post cooking, tho. That's when it's best.

White BBQ Sauce:

1 1/2 Cups Mayonnaise
    1/3 Cup Cider Vinegar
    1/4 Cup Lemon Juice
    2-4 Tablespoons Sugar (I sweeten to taste. Some days I like it a bit sweeter)
    2 Tablespoons fresh ground pepper
    2 Tablespoons White Wine Worcestershire sauce (now called a marinade or the like by Lea and Perrins)
    1 Teaspoon salt

Whisk it all together and you're done.

jetmechG550

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011

Amazon.com : Char-Griller 16619 Kamado Kooker Charcoal Barbecue Grill and Smoker, Black : Big Green Egg : Patio, Lawn & Garden

At $300 it's a much more realistic purchase for me, with all the medical bills going on around here. Does anyone have any experience with them?

I'm loving my kettle though, and I'm really not sure what this would do that the kettle won't. I suppose it will sear steaks a little hotter and save me some money on charcoal.
    They sell them at Menards. It does ok but heard/read it doesn't hold heat well (walls too thin and it's metal) but that only means more for consumption on a longer cook and getting really high temps in the colder months might be harder.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder

Not an egg believer or detractor at this point but I find it hard to believe the Kamado is going to have thermal characteristics anywhere close to the egg. We were in Menards the other night and they had a couple of Kamados sitting there. We went over to look at them and my GF almost threw the thing over backwards when she opened the lid. We've both looked at eggs and were expecting a weight similar to that since the design is similar. It's probably not too far off to say that an egg lid weighs as much as a whole kamado. Of course they may have some new "aerospace compound" for lighter construction.:dunno:

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Not an egg believer or detractor at this point but I find it hard to believe the Kamado is going to have thermal characteristics anywhere close to the egg. We were in Menards the other night and they had a couple of Kamados sitting there. We went over to look at them and my GF almost threw the thing over backwards when she opened the lid. We've both looked at eggs and were expecting a weight similar to that since the design is similar. It's probably not too far off to say that an egg lid weighs as much as a whole kamado. Of course they may have some new "aerospace compound" for lighter construction.:dunno:

I didn't realize you could find them locally. I also didn't realize they were just metal...that's substantially less interesting.

jetmechG550

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    My demo XL i just got never got used so it never made it out of the crate. The lid itself on the XL I'm sure weighs more than the grill at menards. I think that is part of the reason for the latch on those, to keep a good seal since it doesn't have the weight.

jetmechG550

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    The bubba keg is metal and has good insulation. I know a couple guys with the older models and they have good results with them. However I think the price creeps up to close to Medium BGE or Primo on the bubba's

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    The large BGE will get you a couple racks of baby backs but you'll need a rack to hold them on their side. You can fit more if you don't mind cutting the racks in half.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    This evenings project: What to do with a couple of wild turkey breasts

I shot a couple of turkeys this year and the breasts from one still in the freezer. I decided it deserved some special treatment. I made up a brine of salt, brown sugar and granulated garlic last night and they've been soaking for around 22 hours.

Here are the breasts trimmed up and ready to go with a light dusting of Cajun seasoning
    image_zpsc3f5221d.jpg

Next I mixed up cream cheese, diced jalapeño, thyme, dill and chives
    image_zps613d959b.jpg

Once well blended I spooned the mixture onto the breasts in a thin layer
    image_zpsf75b82e9.jpg

Then it was time for the blanket
    image_zpsc4236df3.jpg

Rolled the breasts up and wrapped them with the blanket
    image_zpsc9732190.jpg

image_zps51f57e82.jpg

Then I dropped them into the BGE which had been preheated to 350*. Hopefully they won't take more than a couple of hours to hit 170*. Can't wait to see how they turn out.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Well. That looks delicious.

I've got a few canada goose breasts in the freezer. I wonder if they would be tasty with the same treatment. Thanks for the recipe!

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Turned out pretty darned good. The wife loved it in spite of her not being fond of turkey or eating meat that didn't come from the grocery store.
    image_zps6813b566.jpg

jetmechG550

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Kamado question for you guys: Are the mediums or larges big enough to smoke a couple racks of ribs? How many could you fit for one cook?

I've done 6 racks of baby backs on my large cutting them in half and using the tiered racks. I've also done six whole laying them flat on my XL with room for more. Cooking with tiered racks you just have to watch the one's sitting higher in the dome. On a medium you will have to stand them up or use something to make them look like a bridge if you don't care about appearance.

superjoe76

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 21, 2011
    Allen County
    I have been letting my chicken breast sit in hot water until they are completely thawed. Then I rub them in EVOO for 5-10 mins in a bowl. Then I used this BBQ Rub I got at the last Gunslingers Show in Fort Wayne. I rub EVOO all over the grates and then slow cook them. Its been the best way for chicken so far. Its consistent and tastes great.

I will post some pics the next time I do it. Phylodog, that Bacon Wrapped Turkey looks awesome!!

Mad Macs

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    Sadly, I've been a charcoal grill user for going on 15 years now and am seriously considering a Weber Genesis grill. With 3 younger kids and being busy people, I just don't have the time to get the charcoal grill going before my kids are gnawing on raw food. I need a new grill as my chargrilled is about the be burned right through the sides from daily use.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    I've found it to be pretty quick to light my charcoal in the weber chimney on the side burner of my gas grill. That's about all I've used the gas grill for lately.

Top Bottom