• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boomstick

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    Jeffersonville, IN
    the XL BGE is huge!!!!! truth be told my large is actually too big for 90% of my cooking.
    saturdays cook.......
    2z6xsmh.jpg

with the hickory added....
    epoxo3.jpg

and sundays buffalo chicken pizza
    66b12b.jpg

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Some father's day grilling. Wish I had more 'after' pics, but most of the food was devoured before I could get to it!

2013-06-15%2022.02.38.jpg

2013-06-16%2014.11.35%20(1).jpg

2013-06-16%2015.21.37.jpg

My first attempt at 'Atomic Buffalo Turds', thanks to this awesome thread.

Stuffed them with cream cheese, cheddar cheese, Parmesan cheese and ground sausage.

Boomstick

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    Jeffersonville, IN
    look like the ABT's turned out awesome, try just cutting the top and stuffing them instead of having them, I kinda prefer them that way, but they do take a bit longer to cook. LOOKS great!!!!!!!

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    look like the ABT's turned out awesome, try just cutting the top and stuffing them instead of having them, I kinda prefer them that way, but they do take a bit longer to cook. LOOKS great!!!!!!!

I considered that, but I thought they might be better with a little more filling per pepper. It didn't really work out that way, because too much of it dripped out during the cook. I'm going to try your method next time. Was it difficult to get all of the seeds and membrane out while they were whole like that?

Wow, were they delicious though. I ate WAY too many!

Boomstick

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    Jeffersonville, IN
    I agree, I started making them halved at first, then switched to stuffed. Make sure you poke a hole in the bottom for them to vent (I use a skewer to do that_, as for the seeds and membrane, I use a apple core remover and scrape them away, takes no time at all.
    Experiment with fillings too, part of the fun, cream cheese drips less btw than other cheese, and keep sharing your pics. The way I try new things usually is on suggestions from other people or stuff I see being made at cook-offs.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Thought I'd stick this great article here since grilling season is upon us.

The Food Lab: 7 Old Wives' Tales About Cooking Steak That Need To Go Away | Serious Eats

One point there that I take issue with - Searing first.

I would agree that it is a myth that it 'seals in' the juices. But the taste difference is pretty undeniable, at least for thick chicken breasts and pork chops. The best I've ever cooked were two minutes per side over the hot coals, then put them on indirect until they're up to 190 in the center.

Would they be better if I reversed it? My wife raves about them as-is

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    One point there that I take issue with - Searing first.

I would agree that it is a myth that it 'seals in' the juices. But the taste difference is pretty undeniable, at least for thick chicken breasts and pork chops. The best I've ever cooked were two minutes per side over the hot coals, then put them on indirect until they're up to 190 in the center.

Would they be better if I reversed it? My wife raves about them as-is
    I usually cook over direct heat and get a good sear on mine, but I don't cook mine past Medium Rare usually, so I can get away with it. You could certainly cook them initially on indirect and then put a sear on them afterwards. I've read a couple of articles recently where they cooked the steak sous vide (vacuum sealed in a hot water bath) for a few hours and then did a quick sear to get that delicious char on them. It doesn't have to come first seems to be the consensus.

Last edited:

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Chris Lilly, the pitmaster and champion BBQ'er for Big Bob Gibson's in Decatur, Alabama has a series of videos out for grillers. Short and to the point he covers all the basics of doing stuff on the grill well. Worth the watch to see how a pro does it.

Videos

Boomstick

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    Jeffersonville, IN
    now now, you cant put pics and not share the receipe......cookie looks good..
    dessert this weekend was a pecan pie..
    hx147b.jpg

normal pecan pie receipe, cheated and used frozen crust, ran the grill up to 700, then shut it down, when it dropped to 400 I put pie in for about 25min...

went well with the brisket..
    spd89x.jpg

b3udtf.jpg

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    We used to make "Eisenhower" steaks when camping...build a good oak fire, when the coals are all nice and glowing, spread 'em out, blow off the top layer of ash and lay the steak right on top of them...about two minutes per side. Keeps ya pretty regular too.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Kettle Smoked Spatchcock Chicken

Here is my recipe, I tried to make it detailed for n00bs like myself. You want to keep the temps around 350 and cook it indirectly for 90 minutes. This was my first time smoking, so I'm open to critiques from you veterans.

Ingredients:

• (1) Weber Kettle Grill
    • (1) Whole chicken, thawed
    • Barbecue rub(or whatever type of rub you like best on your chicken)
    • Kosher salt
    • Olive Oil
    • Chunk of good smoking wood

Chicken preparation:

1. Lay the chicken breasts down
    2. Using a knife or kitchen shears, cut along the right and left of the spine and pull it out
    3. Rinse the chicken off
    4. Pat it dry with towels
    5. Pull the skin back as much as possible and pat your rub and kosher salt on all over under the skin as well as on top of the skin (if you like)
    6. Don't skimp with the rub or salt.
    7. I liked mine with some oil rubbed all over it

Grill preparation:

1. Fill a chimney full of charcoal
    2. Get it about half-way lit (this will allow the rest of the coals to light gradually, giving you lower temps and a longer cook time)
    3. Dump it all on one side of the grill
    4. Put the lid on, but leave it a little to the side so it is open above the charcoal (This will let the temps get higher quicker, but make sure they don't get out of control. It's difficult to bring back down)
    5. Leave the bottom vents open and the top vent open and positioned over where the chicken will be
    6. Put your thermometer at grate level, wait for the temp to start rising
    7. When it gets up near 300, put the wood chunk on top of the charcoal, put the lid on top fully and close down your bottom vent most of the way
    8. Gradually adjust the bottom vent to try to hold your temps at 350

Cooking:

1. Put the chicken on the opposite side of the charcoal
    2. Make sure the side that you cut open is facing down
    3. Put the lid on and make sure the top vents are open and right above the chicken, to make sure the smoke goes around the chicken
    4. Let it cook for around 90 (at 350 degrees, less at higher temps) minutes
    5. Add another wood chunk on top of the charcoal if you've run out of smoke
    6. Towards the end of the cook, check the temps. It should be around 170 in the thighs. Mine got up more towards 180, that's when I pulled it

It was quite delicious.

Pr0n:

20130627_154602.jpg

20130627_154153.jpg

20130627_174836.jpg

Last edited:

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Here is my recipe, I tried to make it detailed for n00bs like myself. You want to keep the temps around 350 and cook it indirectly for 90 minutes. This was my first time smoking, so I'm open to critiques from you veterans.

Ingredients:

• (1) Weber Kettle Grill
    • (1) Whole chicken, thawed
    • Barbecue rub(or whatever type of rub you like best on your chicken)
    • Kosher salt
    • Olive Oil
    • Chunk of good smoking wood

Chicken preparation:

1. Lay the chicken breasts down
    2. Using a knife or kitchen shears, cut along the right and left of the spine and pull it out
    3. Rinse the chicken off
    4. Pat it dry with towels
    5. Pull the skin back as much as possible and pat your rub and kosher salt on all over under the skin as well as on top of the skin (if you like)
    6. Don't skimp with the rub or salt.
    7. I liked mine with some oil rubbed all over it

Grill preparation:

1. Fill a chimney full of charcoal
    2. Get it about half-way lit (this will allow the rest of the coals to light gradually, giving you lower temps and a longer cook time)
    3. Dump it all on one side of the grill
    4. Put the lid on, but leave it a little to the side so it is open above the charcoal (This will let the temps get higher quicker, but make sure they don't get out of control. It's difficult to bring back down)
    5. Leave the bottom vents open and the top vent open and positioned over where the chicken will be
    6. Put your thermometer at grate level, wait for the temp to start rising
    7. When it gets up near 300, put the wood chunk on top of the charcoal, put the lid on top fully and close down your bottom vent most of the way
    8. Gradually adjust the bottom vent to try to hold your temps at 350

Cooking:

1. Put the chicken on the opposite side of the charcoal
    2. Make sure the side that you cut open is facing down
    3. Put the lid on and make sure the top vents are open and right above the chicken, to make sure the smoke goes around the chicken
    4. Let it cook for around 45 minutes and rotate the chicken 180 degrees horizontally (leave the open part facing down)
    5. Cook it another 45 minutes, keeping the temps around 350
    6. Add another wood chunk on top of the charcoal if you've run out of smoke
    7. Towards the end of the cook, check the temps. It should be around 170 in the thighs. Mine got up more towards 180, that's when I pulled it

It was quite delicious.
    That's called spatchcocking a chicken and it is my favourite way to cook a bird (even turkeys). Always make sure that the legs and thighs are faced toward the fire and the breast is farthest from it. You'll get better results. The coolest thing about spatchcocking is that you can also cook the bird at higher than normal temps. I do it in the oven at about 400 and on the grill about the same or higher. You always get a juicy bird and nice crisp skin.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    That's called spatchcocking a chicken and it is my favourite way to cook a bird (even turkeys). Always make sure that the legs and thighs are faced toward the fire and the breast is farthest from it. You'll get better results. The coolest thing about spatchcocking is that you can also cook the bird at higher than normal temps. I do it in the oven at about 400 and on the grill about the same or higher. You always get a juicy bird and nice crisp skin.

Yeah it was awesome.

So, don't turn it at all? Keep the breasts opposite the fire for the entire cook? I'll modify my recipe if that's the best way.

Top Bottom