• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Lot of wood it seems...how many holes? How big?

3 holes 1" diameter each. I spaced them evenly around the bottom of the barrel 2" up from the base.

After about half a barrel of wood, the liner was at least 80% gone. When it reached a certain temp, it rather dramatically turned to little ribbons of ash and sloughed off leaving bare metal. I filled the barrel to the top with some big well-seasoned logs (12+" diameter) and got it roaring again. It should burn well into the night and I suspect by morning there will be no trace of a liner to scrub out.

I wish I'd taken a pic once it was build back up, it was an inferno.

407474644.jpg

407474798.jpg

407474662.jpg

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    What if I don't want holes there after burning it in

Then put them wherever you do want them when it's done. If you don't want holes, then I suggest you either buy brand new unlined barrels or pay to have them blasted to bare metal. Any fire hot enough to burn out the liner is going to need vent holes for oxygen (and so is the finished smoker).

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Ok...I'm working on some ideas for a smoker, I want my meat section to be vertical and have a firebox underneath or offset...I was planning on 2x 55 gal drums. thoughts?

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Ok...I'm working on some ideas for a smoker, I want my meat section to be vertical and have a firebox underneath or offset...I was planning on 2x 55 gal drums. thoughts?

What are you trying to accomplish? I've never seen a 2 barrel smoker in a vertical orientation, only in offset or stacked. Any pics of what you're thinking?

Stack.
    BigBaby1.jpg

Offset.
    Double_Barrel_Do_4e78fc8ff3adb.jpg

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    What are you trying to accomplish? I've never seen a 2 barrel smoker in a vertical orientation, only in offset or stacked. Any pics of what you're thinking?

Stack.
    BigBaby1.jpg

Offset.
    Double_Barrel_Do_4e78fc8ff3adb.jpg

I was debating between an offset setup, a double vertical stacked setup(2x 55gal drums), or a L shaped setup(horizonal firebox, vertical meat section sitting above one end of the firebox furthest away from the firebox door)....thoughts?

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Planning out where to put my racks in my UDS...I like to get 2 or 3 racks in my smoker...how much space to give between each rack? How far away from fire source? I'm going to go with a one and a quarter or one and a half 55 gallon drum setup, with the cut down drum to be my firebox.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Actually I think I got 8 between them. That's all the space I had. Should be enough for some good sized shoulders.

Top access works well for me. You shouldn't have to touch the charcoal until the cook is over. You can add a side door if you want, but in my opinion you'll lose some of the efficiency and ease of use that the uds is known for.

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Actually I think I got 8 between them. That's all the space I had. Should be enough for some good sized shoulders.

Top access works well for me. You shouldn't have to touch the charcoal until the cook is over. You can add a side door if you want, but in my opinion you'll lose some of the efficiency and ease of use that the uds is known for.

No side door for firebox as well?

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Definitely. My charcoal basket is overkill. If I filled it up I'd have no problem keeping it going for well over 24hrs.

Mines just a folded up $20 piece of expanded steel and it should last 16 hours easy. Not sure how it will go in the winter though. I intend to find out!

Top Bottom