• steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Finally finished her:

20130811_162442.jpg

She completed her maiden voyage yesterday for my son's birthday party. Made some basic MOINK balls. Frozen italian meatballs, wrapped in 1/2 slice of bacon and some BBQ dry rub. Smoked them for about an hour at 250 with some apple wood. Dipped in BBQ sauce and put back on for 10 minutes to let the sauce set. They were a big hit (they went so fast that I couldn't get a pic)

I was able to fit about 100 meatballs on the top grate. Loaded up the bottom grate with some spiral cut hot dogs. I rubbed some of the same BBQ dry rub on them and did not like it at all. Too sweet. But the smoker did her job well. She held 250 for about 3 hours and barely made a dent in the charcoal. And when I clamped her down, she cooled off in a couple hours.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    On a related note, we went to the State Fair today and I got to see a bunch of pro's BBQ'ing for the prize! Lots of really cool smokers out there, but the real surprise was that maybe about 1/4 o 1/3 of them were using Weber Kettles to get their stuff done! Saw some really righteous looking ribs being finished off on those Weber's and learned a new trick for smoking on them, too. One contestant had offset their coals, (as you should if your doing ribs on the kettle), but instead of just dropping them in or using a metal separator they had actually used a piece of hardwood log. It was giving off a nice gentle smoke and also absorbing some of the grease and juices released by the ribs (which looked great!). Gonna definitely try this technique next time. No chips or chunks needed and it will keep the coals in place, too.

Cool trick. I might just have to give that a try. I need to head over to my parents place and cut some limbs off the old apple trees they have out back. They'd make some great chunks of wood for this exact idea.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    That looks delicious!

...what is it? :laugh:

Looks like smoked brisket. I'm now jealous and hungry.

Yes, you are correct! I used Stubbs charcoal and Stubbs hickory, oak, and Apple wood mix chips. Wish the smoker was larger so I can use chunks instead of chips, having to feed chips more often is a bit annoying. Turned out good, really juicy and smoky and everybody enjoyed it.

Boomstick

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    Jeffersonville, IN
    this weekends haul, pork loing stuffed with cheddar cheese and jalapeno, rolled in bacon, with grilled asparagus...
    5bqz3s.jpg

and my take on the previously posted armadillo eggs.....I diced the jalapenos, mixed cream cheese and cheddar cheese together, then rolled the sausage around them...
    20t1imr.jpg

ixwhf5.jpg

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    I've sort of done it. Baking dish, about an hour in the smoke and then finish it in the oven. The picture was taken after wifey scraped the fat out of the dish. Wrap the outside of the baking dish in foil to keep it from getting sooted up.

s3cGlG7.jpg

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    How many pounds of meatloaf to how many slices of bacon did you need to make that?

Think it was about 3 lb meatloaf and just one lb bacon. If I remember correctly it was about 14-15 slices of bacon. Made a bacon weave and set the meatloaf in the middle and wrapped it up. It was delicious!

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Ok, do you have directions on how to make one of these?

Finally finished her:

20130811_162442.jpg

She completed her maiden voyage yesterday for my son's birthday party. Made some basic MOINK balls. Frozen italian meatballs, wrapped in 1/2 slice of bacon and some BBQ dry rub. Smoked them for about an hour at 250 with some apple wood. Dipped in BBQ sauce and put back on for 10 minutes to let the sauce set. They were a big hit (they went so fast that I couldn't get a pic)

I was able to fit about 100 meatballs on the top grate. Loaded up the bottom grate with some spiral cut hot dogs. I rubbed some of the same BBQ dry rub on them and did not like it at all. Too sweet. But the smoker did her job well. She held 250 for about 3 hours and barely made a dent in the charcoal. And when I clamped her down, she cooled off in a couple hours.

Top Bottom