• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jetmechG550

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Does 'direct' mean something different for a BGE than it does a kettle? How far from the coals is that?
    That's about 2" higher than the normal grid height of a large BGE. I made my own quasi adjustable rig using some ubolts but that is the height I do chicken and burgers at. Unless I am doing a long overnight cook I generally fill the fire bowl all the way to the base of the fire ring which is about 3" tall maybe 3.5" My guess that is about 5"-6" above the coals, maybe slightly higher. 350 is dome temp but I have never put one of my pit probes on the grate.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    I've got the crappy Walmart $15 wireless gadget right now. Gets the job done, lasts maybe a year with heavy use.

Going to be ordering up the Maverick ET-732 pretty soon.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    What do you guys use for temp probes? I need to use something other than my Fluke meter ;)

Well, for dropping down the hole into the cooking area I use a standard large probe thermometer. For the meat itself I either use my digital oven therm probe or my food service pocket thermometer. All of them do a good enough job.

jetmechG550

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Standard cooks I just use the dome thermo, I think the new BGE is a TRU Tel or something, I just recalibrate it ever so often, mostly after high heat cooks to make sure it didn't get too far out of whack. For low and slow's I use a Stoker or anything under 400 that I need to hold a consistent temp for a length of time.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    I figured I should at least make an attempt at a contribution to this thread. I threw what was likely an 8-9 lb shoulder in the smoker last night around 9. Kept it at 250 until midnight with smoke, dropped it to 200 until 7:30, then cranked it back up to 250 with more smoke until 10:30. Yesterday's tasks were a 5 beer operation (Victory Hop Devil). This morning's portion was a 4 cups of coffee operation.

It's been covered in foil since it came off and it's time to start pulling and eating.

P1030867_zps3d74e13f.jpg

P1030868_zpsd23fe461.jpg

P1030872_zpscca4a592.jpg

P1030873_zpsa63df482.jpg

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    CENTRAL
    I always cook something and take it with me to my Girl's workplace to have lunch with her on Sunday. Today I cooked a few chicken breasts and chicken legs that I got from a local farmers market yesterday. The chicken was free range and wasn't full of juice like something from the store. It cooked waaay faster than I expected but it still tasted amazing :drool:

4D0FA375-F0F5-44BA-BDC3-6546C95D5786-9211-00000A8511922A70_zps053a210a.jpg

JayPea

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Youngsville
    Geez! Where have I been that I haven't seen this thread!

I also have the Chargriller Duo with the Side Fire Box that many others have shown pics of so no need to duplicate. Here's some of the stuff I've grilled / smoked.

Smoked Baked Potato
    image.jpeg
    Smoked Jalapeno Cornbread
    image (1).jpeg
    Bacon Wrappen Stuffed Jalapeno
    image (2).jpeg
    Brisket
    image (3).jpeg
    Brats
    image (4).jpeg
    Beer Butt Chicken
    image (6).jpeg
    Bacon Wrapped Asparagus
    image (7).jpeg
    Smoked BBQ Beans
    image (8).jpeg

jfed85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    I also cook a turkey for the fiancés side of the family every Christmas. Randomly decided to try it one year and it was such a hit nobody even touched the glazed ham. In my experience that is bass ackwards. Now, that is my task every year. Her dad wont even fry one anymore because it isn't as tender or juicy as the grilled turkey. I usually soak it in a brine in a large cooler overnight, then pull it out and let it drip in the sink for a while. pat dry and rub with some seasoning salt and pepper. I tuck sliced of lemon, apple, and orange inside the turkey and between the skin and meat. Then I lift the grate off my grill (gas) and put a drip pan in there about half full of water then put the grate back on. Heat to low-medium and put the bird right on the grate. Wrap the ends of wings and legs in foil to prevent burning/fires. Usually only takes a couple hours until the thigh hits 160 degrees. Last hour make sure it is breast-down. Best darn turkey I ever had.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Well, here's some much needed advice on how to cook boneless, skinless chicken breasts. Admit it. We've all screwed these up at one point or another, well, here's how to avoid screwing them up. Pound them out and brine them, then cook to 160 internal. Easy peasy.

The Best Juicy Grilled Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts | Serious Eats : Recipes

On a related note, we went to the State Fair today and I got to see a bunch of pro's BBQ'ing for the prize! Lots of really cool smokers out there, but the real surprise was that maybe about 1/4 o 1/3 of them were using Weber Kettles to get their stuff done! Saw some really righteous looking ribs being finished off on those Weber's and learned a new trick for smoking on them, too. One contestant had offset their coals, (as you should if your doing ribs on the kettle), but instead of just dropping them in or using a metal separator they had actually used a piece of hardwood log. It was giving off a nice gentle smoke and also absorbing some of the grease and juices released by the ribs (which looked great!). Gonna definitely try this technique next time. No chips or chunks needed and it will keep the coals in place, too.

Didn't see anyone using BGE's, but there were a few that had knockoffs they were using. Not too many, tho. Maybe 3 or 4. Standard grills, smoker rigs and the like for the most part.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Well, here's some much needed advice on how to cook boneless, skinless chicken breasts. Admit it. We've all screwed these up at one point or another, well, here's how to avoid screwing them up. Pound them out and brine them, then cook to 160 internal. Easy peasy.

The minimum safe temperature for poultry is 165. ServeSafe lists it at 175 as a safety butter for poorly calibrated thermometers, but ISDH mandate is 165. At 160, you'll probably carry over to 165, but with a pounded out thin breast you might not.

From your link:
    Flip and continue to cook until second side is browned and chicken registers 150°F (or 160°F if you really want to stick to FDA guidelines) on an instant read thermometer inserted into the center of breast. If second side browns before it registers 150°F, move to cool side of grill, cover, and let cook until chicken reaches temperature.
    At 150, chicken is pink in the middle.

Even the FDA says 165.
    Safe Eats - Meat, Poultry & Seafood

Last edited:
    Top Bottom