• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    When I was younger I use to get all hyped up about opening day...but I have learned that the best hunting is the 2 weeks before gun season opens. It's closer to rut.... the deer are moving more and tend to respond to calls better. The first two weeks can be a little slow...it can be hot/warm and you sometimes have to deal with bugs. With that said...I'll be out a few days opening week...just won't get to pumped up about it.

Ed p.

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 23, 2010
    Greenfield
    Yep im ready,already told the boss im taking friday off. Bow ready,gear packed,9 stands that have been in same place for five years and BONUS the corn has been harvested at my favorite stand. And oh yeah temps in the 60's. Cant waite.

ironjaw

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Indy Northeast
    Yep im ready,already told the boss im taking friday off. Bow ready,gear packed,9 stands that have been in same place for five years and BONUS the corn has been harvested at my favorite stand. And oh yeah temps in the 60's. Cant waite.
    9 stands? you can't be in them all at one time, you need to invite me! just putting that out there.

baldguy637

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Montgomery County
    When I was younger I use to get all hyped up about opening day...but I have learned that the best hunting is the 2 weeks before gun season opens. It's closer to rut.... the deer are moving more and tend to respond to calls better. The first two weeks can be a little slow...it can be hot/warm and you sometimes have to deal with bugs. With that said...I'll be out a few days opening week...just won't get to pumped up about it.

I love the first week of bow! It's a great time to get the jump on mr. big. Bucks are still in bachelor groups and still in their regular routine, so as long as you can slip in undetected your chances are rather high you'll at least see deer. That is as long as you've done your homework. ;)

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    I love the first week of bow! It's a great time to get the jump on mr. big. Bucks are still in bachelor groups and still in their regular routine, so as long as you can slip in undetected your chances are rather high you'll at least see deer. That is as long as you've done your homework. ;)

I wouldn't disagree with you one bit...I have taken several bucks during the first week of bow. My experience has been that with things changing almost daily during the first 2 weeks (crops being harvested, food sources changing, sudden changes in temps...ect) it has been harder for me to pattern them....just seems like I see more bucks the the last half of Oct. to opening weekend of gun season. Also, they tend to respond better to calling....and if you like to rattle....it is more effective closer to the rut. About the only calling I do during the first 2 weeks of bow, is some social grunt calling...nothing very aggressive.

baldguy637

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Montgomery County
    I wouldn't disagree with you one bit...I have taken several bucks during the first week of bow. My experience has been that with things changing almost daily during the first 2 weeks (crops being harvested, food sources changing, sudden changes in temps...ect) it has been harder for me to pattern them....just seems like I see more bucks the the last half of Oct. to opening weekend of gun season. Also, they tend to respond better to calling....and if you like to rattle....it is more effective closer to the rut. About the only calling I do during the first 2 weeks of bow, is some social grunt calling...nothing very aggressive.

I agree with you on pre-rut. I see more mature bucks during the pre-rut through gun season so I religiously take vacation the last week of bow season just for that reason. I also don't use my calls as much in early bow compared to late bow into gun.

Early bow season is more of an ambush mindset for me. It's all about knowing what you have on your property and when/where they will be transitioning from their bedding areas to their food source. From my experience, if you can slip in undetected between those two areas you will be tagging out early. I hung my stands over a month ago and haven't been back to them since so hopefully i'll get a crack at one friday morning! But as you said, opening day deer will completely change their routines as more pressure, feeding areas and temps change.

Good luck to everyone this friday!

Midwest207

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Indy
    Going out the fist time tomorrow. I am pumped up. Today is going to be a really long day at work. Is it 5:00 yet?

Top Bottom