• ...and so much more!
  • redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    2009 Rut

Anyone seen any dates on the rut for this year. Only thing I have seen is Oct 4-Oct 9. Any other predictions out there?

Temp 106 F

Yup I got the Fever!!!

buck_fever.jpg

DHolder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Mooresville - MSG2 Hub
    Deer camp for sure! I hope there are some acorns in my woods this year, there weren't even any squirrels last year. Too bad there aint a mosquito season, or Deer Fly, season, :D I could have limited out every day. But it sure beats WORKIN! :40oz: :patriot:

DHolder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Mooresville - MSG2 Hub
    I need to get my arrows out, I had some vanes start coming loose last year, nothing major, just starting to lift. Seems it takes me longer to get my "game on" nowaday. The wood I hunt didn't hold a lot of deer last year, I was set up in the wrong area in bow season, The owner of ajoining property, decided to cut timber, deer went nocternal.

DHolder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Mooresville - MSG2 Hub
    I did get a road kill a couple mos. ago, saved enough meat for some jerky. I'm going to make a small batch to take to the Appleseed @ Riley, to share around the campfire. Do you prossess your own?

spainy79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Sullivan
    Last year I burned some vacation to hunt the first 5 days in October; won't be doing that this year. Maybe it's just me but I'd rather sit in the woods when it's a little cooler out than 60 degrees. Now, I may still go in the beginning of October this year but I'm sure not going to burn any vacation to do it with. I do have vacation scheduled for the first week of firearm.

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    saved my leave days just for deer season. I cant wait. gonna get the bow out hopefully in next two weeks and start getting ready. cant wait to get the jerky goin.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    I did get a road kill a couple mos. ago, saved enough meat for some jerky. I'm going to make a small batch to take to the Appleseed @ Riley, to share around the campfire. Do you prossess your own?

I process my own, actually last year I made a maple cutting board 26x40 just for butchering of game.

Here to help any INGO'er that wants to save $75 on processing. We can do it all in about 3hrs. PM if you want help.

tenring

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Martinsville
    2009 Rut 2009 Rut

Anyone seen any dates on the rut for this year. Only thing I have seen is Oct 4-Oct 9. Any other predictions out there?

Give or take a few days, the "seeking" phase of the rut is triggered every year by the second full moon after the autumnal equinox.

Seven to ten days after the "seeking" phase the "chasing" phase begins.

Usually the first two weeks of November, but again, give or take a few days.

YMMV

Woo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    New Castle
    Our deer camp week is the first week of November!! Seems to be right around the rut. I saw 1 very nice buck and 1 decent buck last night and got themon video.!! I am pumped!! I will put the video on here when i get it finalized!!

captpaul

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 9, 2008
    Indy
    On my hunting grounds I usually start to see chasing around the last week of Oct. and the first week of Nov. Last two seasons my first archery kill has been on Nov. 8. Buck last year and freezer doe the year before. I have killed deer first day of early archery but I rarely see bucks moving till the end of Oct. With this weird summer it will be interesting how the weather pans out this fall.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    sold both my bow and ML last season... with the election and all to focus on an AR.

Now I now season will be upon us soon, think I'll skip bow and stick with ML this season.

My doe meat is all but gone :D

Mrmonte

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 1, 2009
    Indy South Side
    About the last week of Oct I usually start to see bucks on the prowl. To throw something to think about out here....I know alot of people get focused on hunting the rut, but I like the early Oct hunting better. The deer are traveling in a more predictable pattern to feed and bed. If you do your homework, chances are better to fill your tag with the buck you want early. That being said, I get excited about the anything can happen idea of the rut if im still sitting on my buck tag by then!

bradkilburn

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    I havent heard of any dates but ive been spot lighting alot and i think its going to start early because the bucks are chasing each other like non other

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    i haven't seen dates but i can almost promise it wont be in full swing on oct 4th. in early oct you will see some young bucks (1 1/2 to 2 1/2) chasing. the doe isn't ready but the bucks are. the older mature bucks know the doe isn't ready so they just lay back and let the young bucks do all the courting then swop in and take there lady.

as far as dates normally from nov1-nov10 are when the peek hits. like i said you will see bucks chasing and scent cheaking but they are premature.

Top Bottom