cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    Old Guy Rant...

Not to defend punks, because I'm not, but the "Greatest Generation" went through the Depression first. Sacrifice and privation were part of their upbringing. Kids nowadays have not been challenged, and in fact our nanny-state sees that they aren't ever in risk of harm or offense.

I wouldn't blame kids today exclusively. They're largely rising (or sinking) to the expectations society has of them (and of itself). A country conceding defeat and decline can hardly expect excellence of its youth.

Speaking as an old f*rt, it seems to me we as a society are often mired in trivialities as a country: who's excelling on American Idol, who's Brittney shacking up with, who's going to win the Super Bowl this year. What's the latest bling, big-screen TVs, digital gadgets.

Kids raised on Bread and Circuses can't be expected to have visions of greatness.

Ok, old guy rant over... (mutter mutter)

I understand the idea of this thread but let's not forgett about the 20 year olds fighting for us. God Bless Them!

Point well taken, you are indeed correct about this!

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I blame the culture of "everybody's a winner" in youth sports. When I was a kid, when you lost a baseball, basketball, or football game..,. everybody knew you lost. The next day at school your friends would tease you about the score and give you lite-hearted grief. It was getting that grief that made you play harder, to try and get that win the next time. I always looked back at youth sports as being a kid's introduction for training for life in the "real" world. There are winners and losers, and the amount of work you put in is typically directly correlated into which category you ended up in.

These 20 years nowadays, typically, have grown up believing that everybody should win, when in real life, they can't.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Not to defend punks, because I'm not, but the "Greatest Generation" went through the Depression first. Sacrifice and privation were part of their upbringing. Kids nowadays have not been challenged, and in fact our nanny-state sees that they aren't ever in risk of harm or offense.

I wouldn't blame kids today exclusively. They're largely rising (or sinking) to the expectations society has of them (and of itself). A country conceding defeat and decline can hardly expect excellence of its youth.

Speaking as an old f*rt, it seems to me we as a society are often mired in trivialities as a country: who's excelling on American Idol, who's Brittney shacking up with, who's going to win the Super Bowl this year. What's the latest bling, big-screen TVs, digital gadgets.

Kids raised on Bread and Circuses can't be expected to have visions of greatness.

Ok, old guy rant over... (mutter mutter)

Point well taken, you are indeed correct about this!

I'm continually amused by these threads. Has there ever been a generation that didn't view the generations younger than theirs as punks?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    The decline of generations is rarely a quick thing. Certainly these poor fools bear blame for their ignorance, but they are merely the end result of a multi-generational dumbing down.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Neat pic on the left. My old man was born in 1924. So he was in fact 20 in 1944. He was also (as he always put) enjoying the all expenses paid tour of the South Pacific at the time.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    I'm continually amused by these threads. Has there ever been a generation that didn't view the generations younger than theirs as punks?
    This is true. But they're still punks.:):

Remember what Kennedy said, ask not what your country can do for you...

A far cry from the mewling and bleating of the 99% OWS'ers.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Has there ever been a generation that could use the following to make their case?

transgender-gay-lesbian-300x2461.jpg

One would hope that the sign is a joke or a shop job.

I constantly hear at work that all the young people don't want to work. We get temps of all ages and 1 out of 10 wants to actually do anything. Granted, you won't attract the best candidates from temp agencies but I've seen plenty of slugs come through that were 40 or older.

Top Bottom