• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wheezy50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Morgan County
    If you don't mind continuing to use what you are currently using for deer hunting, I would seriously recommend that you look at .223/5.56 instead of .308. It'll be great for coyotes, shoot accurately past 600 yards, and it's a heck of a lot cheaper to feed than a .308 is.

If you want to get good at this, you're going to spend more on ammo than the gun; I know I already have, and I'm not good yet.

With that said, I would recommend a Remington 700 ADL. They can be bought used for ~$400 without a scope, and a SWFA SS fixed power will work nicely for only $300 more. Whenever you are ready to move up in scope, you will lose very little on that one--or more likely, decide it's too nice to get rid of and just move it to a different gun. I would suggest the 6x42 for your situation.

No matter what caliber you go with, pick a used 700 or Savage 10 or 110 way ahead of the cheaper offerings like the Axis, American, MVP, or 783. You will appreciate the aftermarket support.

I would like to build an AR in .223 at some point, hopefully this summer. I'm not ruling out a bolt gun in .223 but would like something bigger for deer/hogs right now.

Wheezy50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Morgan County
    I've also been looking at the Savage 11VT. I think this was/is a special model produced for Dick's Sporting Goods. It has a heavy barrel, which I think i'm leaning towards. I actually like the feel of the odd shaped, triangular stock that comes on it. I wish it was available without the crap scope that comes with it.

Top Bottom