DqvDXVJU8AEn5sC.jpg:large

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    [video=youtube;PVF9lZ-i_ss]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVF9lZ-i_ss[/video]

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Gab, the free-speech alternative to Twitter, has been taken offline following the Pittsburgh shooting.

Media is labeling it as an "extremist friendly" outlet, which is an odd way to think of free speech.

Lesson to be learned? When they tell you to "make your own Twitter", they don't really mean it. You're only allowed to use approved social media outlets. Alternatives will be shut down.

If Gab is being held accountable for user's posts, then why isn't Twitter being held accountable?

[video=youtube;P1apG6YCn6k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1apG6YCn6k[/video]

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I will always err on the side of free speech, and I've leaned way more Libertarian over my few years on INGO with all that I've read and learned (You know who you are - and Thank You)

Find a Youtube video of Rosie Odonnell talking.
    Now click "Play"
    Does that bother you?
    Yes?
    That's good.
    Now turn off the sound and just watch.
    Still bother you?
    Yes?
    You have a problem.

Well. I'm with you up to the point of saying "just watch". I mean...this is Rosie Odonnell we're talking about here. At least let me close my eyes after turning the sound off. Or you should provide eye bleach.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Whelp, crazy if true. Andrew Torba, the founder of Gab, claims his parents house has been vandalized/threatened.

Gab said:
    Just got a call from my parents—who are not home—their neighbor smelled gas, called the fire company.

Someone turned on the propane tank on my parent’s gas grill, turned the burner on, and let the propane leak out.

This is terrorism, incited by the media.

Pray for us.

https://twitter.com/getongab/status/1057660900348518400

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Count Dankula opines about alternative platforms:

Heres the thing with creating alternate platforms.

The first customers you will get, will be far-right, fash and edgies that have been banned from the main platforms, meaning your platform fills up with these people, and your platform then becomes directly associated with them.

This then makes you a target for MSM and virtue signallers, a companies image is everything, and it really is not going to help you if you are seen as a "far-right" social media platform. But if you ban these people to combat this, that will still damage your companies image.

You may not have intended it to be this way, but that is the situation you are in, you either accept these people, and get tarnished with the association, or ban them and get known as the "ban happy anti-free speech platform". Either way, your image is tarnished.

This will make it extremely difficult for any alternate platform to get its feet off the ground and become large. The main platforms know this, and they use it to their advantage, getting rid of competitors is easy, especially if your users do it for you.

The monopoly continues.

He also had some less-smart things to say about Gab, but that's not a topic for INGO.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I think that there is a line which social media companies should draw on what can be said on their platforms. People should pretty much be free to say what they want, but credibly directing violence against other people, or posting someone else's PII without their permission, or posting false information that incites panic, should be the line. Of course there needs to be more specific rules to define all that. Those things are not generally protected speech.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I guess technically this could fit in a few different threads/subforums, but I'll drop it here for now.

A federal district court will allow the NRA's lawsuit against Gov. Cuomo to proceed on the theory that his tweeted threats to financial institutions to cut ties with NRA could be found to violate the NRA's First Amendment rights. The court dismissed without prejudice other causes of action related to the NRA's freedom of association rights, equal protection, and a conspiracy claim.

This case is at a very early stage.

PDF : https://assets.documentcloud.org/documents/5029465/NRA-NY-20181106.pdf

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    It IS his 1st Amendment right as a member of the press corp to raise his hand and ask questions if called upon.

He violated historical decorum and was asked to sit down and be quiet several times. This is not the first time , he has been given leeway in the past and has come to the opinion that he can get away with it.

CNN can assign any one of thousands of their OPINION PROPAGANDA people to the White House beat. Their 1st Amendment rights are not being infringed.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    We can take a tour and I suppose if we ran into the President we could accost him with impunity. After all there is a First Amendment!

Top Bottom