• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    The Malibu is a modern small car. The '59 Bel Air was a full size vehicle. The video is pretty amazing.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CU-k0XmLUk&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube - 1959 Chevrolet Bel Air Vs. 2009 Chevrolet Malibu IIHS Offset[/ame]

Pics Aplenty: IIHS reveals before and after of Malibu/Bel Air crash — Autoblog

Pics Aplenty: IIHS reveals before and after of Malibu/Bel Air crash

by John Neff (RSS feed) on Sep 26th 2009 at 7:49PM
    IIHS '09 Malibu vs. '59 Bel Air crash test – Click above for high-res image gallery

We're all well aware of the video released recently by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. You know the one. Modern Chevy Malibu versus vintage Chevy Bel Air. Crash test. The results speak for themselves (see the video again after the jump). The two cars, one a 1959 model and the other from 2009, illustrate exactly how far vehicle safety has come in the 50 years since the IIHS was founded. There are two others dates you should know. 1972 was when the IIHS launched the Highway Loss Data Institute and began collecting objective data on insurance losses. The other date is 1992 when the Vehicle Research Center was opened and the IIHS began crashing cars.

In addition to the aforementioned video, the IIHS has also just released a gallery of images, before and after if you will, of the two cars involved in the celebratory crash. Note the passenger compartment of the '09 Malibu, which stays completely intact, versus the Bel Air that crumbles like a cereal box. Thanks for the tip, Derrick!

PRESS RELEASE In the 50 years since US insurers organized the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, car crashworthiness has improved. Demonstrating this was a crash test conducted on Sept. 9 between a 1959 Chevrolet Bel Air and a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. In a real-world collision similar to this test, occupants of the new model would fare much better than in the vintage Chevy.

"It was night and day, the difference in occupant protection," says Institute president Adrian Lund. "What this test shows is that automakers don't build cars like they used to. They build them better."

The crash test was conducted at an event to celebrate the contributions of auto insurers to highway safety progress over 50 years. Beginning with the Institute's 1959 founding, insurers have maintained the resolve, articulated in the 1950s, to "conduct, sponsor, and encourage programs designed to aid in the conservation and preservation of life and property from the hazards of highway accidents."

A decade after the Institute was founded, insurers directed this organization to begin collecting data on crashes and the cost of repairing vehicles damaged in crashes. To lead this work and the Institute's expanded research program, insurers named a new president, William Haddon Jr., who already was a pioneer in the field of highway safety. In welcoming Dr. Haddon, Thomas Morrill of State Farm said "the ability to bring unbiased scientific data to the table is extremely valuable." This scientific approach, ushered in by Dr. Haddon, is a hallmark of Institute work. It's why the Institute launched the Highway Loss Data Institute in 1972 - to collect and analyze insurance loss results to provide consumers with model-by-model comparisons.

Another Institute milestone was the 1992 opening of the Vehicle Research Center. Since then, the Institute has conducted much of the research that has contributed to safer vehicles on US roads. At the anniversary event, current Institute chairman Gregory Ostergren of American National Property and Casualty summed up a commitment to continue what fellow insurers began in 1959: "On this golden anniversary of the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, we celebrate this organization's accomplishments toward safer drivers, vehicles, and roadways. We salute the vision of the Institute's founders and proudly continue their commitment to highway safety."

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    WOW!

+1 for safety cage and crumple zones!

Edit:

Car kind of looks like "Christine" from stephen king.
    It will rebuild itself and be back for another swipe at the 09'
    :D

Last edited:

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    Hmm more of a difference than I thought. That's one thing I like about my focus, they are a very safe car in an accident, even being so small. And mine will soon be even safer with the roll bar. :D

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    I'll be honest, I really expected to see that Bel Air just demolish that Malibu, I'm pretty shocked by the results. I know that the innovations in automobile safety have just made leaps and bounds since 1959, but man, I really thought a '59 Chevy would at least do better than that!

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I'll be honest, I really expected to see that Bel Air just demolish that Malibu, I'm pretty shocked by the results. I know that the innovations in automobile safety have just made leaps and bounds since 1959, but man, I really thought a '59 Chevy would at least do better than that!

Yup, my thoughts too. The Malibu driver clearly survived but I would NOT want to have been the crash test dummy sitting in the driver's seat of the Bel Air. That dummy was clearly crushed.

Seeing this video made me feel a lot better. I just ordered a 2010 VW Jetta TDI (diesel) and its the smallest car we've ever owned. My wife has been worried about the safety of such a small vehicle. I no longer am worried. Sure, my VW Touareg would likely do much better than the little Jetta and my wife's Volvo XC90 might even do better in a crash test than the Touareg, but I have to believe that the little Jetta will do a pretty good job in a bad situation.

Lt. Dan

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    There's a lot of empty space under the hood of the Bel Air that doesn't anything to cushion the impact.

Here's an article that talks about it some more. I'm somewhat surprised that there isn't more of a weight difference between the two cars..

Sad to watch :(

Errkola

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    Indiana
    That was great I hated to see the 59 destroyed.

+1 I hope it was really a rust bucket or compromised in some way, but then the test would be a sham. in some of the footage from the '59 side of the wreck it looks like a cloud of rust shoots out from the side of the car after impact.

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    Yup, my thoughts too. The Malibu driver clearly survived but I would NOT want to have been the crash test dummy sitting in the driver's seat of the Bel Air. That dummy was clearly crushed.

Seeing this video made me feel a lot better. I just ordered a 2010 VW Jetta TDI (diesel) and its the smallest car we've ever owned. My wife has been worried about the safety of such a small vehicle. I no longer am worried. Sure, my VW Touareg would likely do much better than the little Jetta and my wife's Volvo XC90 might even do better in a crash test than the Touareg, but I have to believe that the little Jetta will do a pretty good job in a bad situation.

As a former VW certified technician and having owned numerous Volvo's, you have made some great automotive decisions. You'll love that 2010 Jetta TDI, great power and unbelievable mileage! Congrats on ordering the new car! Those Jettas are some of the safest cars on the road, you have nothing to worry about driving that car.

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    +1 I hope it was really a rust bucket or compromised in some way, but then the test would be a sham. in some of the footage from the '59 side of the wreck it looks like a cloud of rust shoots out from the side of the car after impact.

I watched this with a guy at work, he's a technician also, he thought the same thing. 50 years for corrosion to go to work on that beast of a frame. After watching this a few more times, I don't buy it. I know modern cars are safer, etc, but not to this degree. I'm calling BS.

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    There's a lot of empty space under the hood of the Bel Air that doesn't anything to cushion the impact.

Here's an article that talks about it some more. I'm somewhat surprised that there isn't more of a weight difference between the two cars..

Sad to watch :(

I noticed this as well, only reinforces my thoughts of this being a farce.

jclark

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Those x frame cars aren't as strong as the newer design of full frame cars.
    Still, the uni body cars are designed to absorb impact. I'd say the malibu will win over a restored 59.

in_betts

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    North of FW
    Well I wasn't a chevy guy back then, but take something like a '69 Plymouth Fury III and run that test. One that isn't all rusted out and I bet it's a lot different.

Don't get me wrong I am not saying cars aren't safer, because they are, but the video is deceitful. I still say if they put the money in to teaching people to drive that they spend on stupid and wrong seatbelt enforcement, far less people would be hurt.

Glock21

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    IL
    As interesting as it is....I'd still rather drive the Bel Air. :-)

And I'd do it without a seatbelt on and while wearing two pistols. Long live Liberty, lol.

Top Bottom