• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jworm1420

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    Ok im goin to be in the market for a new fun gun, probably a pistol. I'm considering a 1911 because i dnt have one yet. so i need u professional 1911ers out there to share some knowledge to a rookie. in ur opinion, what r the 5 top 1911s out there. I'm not gnu b cheap, but I'm not rich either. Plus let me know any little interesting things and or intricacies to the 1911 platform, if u know of any. all and any info will b appreciated.

Thanks everyone

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    In alphabetical order:

Baer
    Brown
    Detonics
    Nighthawk
    Wilson

But you'll add Cabot, Clark, Jardine, STI and Vickers onto the list right behind the top 5 I listed. 7 of my top 10 actually mill their own frame or have them forged/cast to their specs, the other 3 will build a gun around a commercially available frame.

As for little intricacies to the gun, Detonics has had whole books written about what they have done to the 1911 and they currently make the most radical 1911 on the market in terms of advanced ergonomics, they also developed more patents for the 1911 than anyone except John M Browning. If you want a beautiful gun then you can't go wrong with Baer, Brown, Cabot or Wilson. Their 1911s can be true works of art, if you are willing to pay the price for that level of finery. If you want a competition gun then the STI guns should be your first choice. Simply looking for a customized gun, one that is built on a commercial frame, then pick up a Clark, Jardine or Vickers reworked pistol.

Last edited:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Or if you want to stay under $1k you could look at:

Colt
    Kimber
    Sig Sauer
    Smith & Wesson
    Springfield Armory

Once again in alphabetical order. Ever notice how many letter there are in alphabetical?:)

Interesting things and intricacies? I'll let others expound on that. I just like them!

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    While only produced in limited runs, you can buy a Detonics Service Master for under $1000. Hard part is finding one. And the ultra modern Detonics MTX is only $1500.

On the other hand, which of your guns are made with foreign made frames and other forgings? The guns on my list don't include parts coming in by boat from obscure Pacific islands or profits being shipped to some European nation, etc.

Which of your guns have MIM parts and are you willing to trust your life to MIM parts?

:dunno:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Go to the Springfield Armory sight and look at the offerings they have. Nothing at all wrong with the suggestions listed up thread but I have owned, shot and in general have knowledge of all of them. I really like the Springfield line. From the G I to the Loaded stainless all are great guns and reasonably priced. My favorite is the Trophy Match. I have 2 of them for no reason other than they are great guns. I am looking at a Loaded right now. A friend has the TRP and it is also a serious shooter.

EDIT....I find the 1911 platform to be more of a mans gun (no slam on anyone)...you have to hang on to it and run the gun. It is a reliable platform and just a joy to shoot.

If you purchase a mid level or higher piece you will find there is no real idiosyncrasy's other than cleaning it properly. The low end pieces do not like to eat hollow points as they were designed to run ball rounds. The Field officer I have (Springer) eats anything I throw at it.

Last edited:

straid

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012

Colt
    Kimber
    Sig Sauer
    Smith & Wesson
    Springfield Armory
    It should be noted that Sig is Series 80 only, so you may want to stay away from them as a first model. I just found out recently, that all Remingtons are, too.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    It should be noted that Sig is Series 80 only, so you may want to stay away from them as a first model. I just found out recently, that all Remingtons are, too.

I have a series 80 Colt and have zero issues with it. I have heard the stories and know they are based on fact but have never seen or experienced any problems with that series. My sons Colt is series 80 as well with zero issues. We shoot the snot out of them.
    I did have to re-stake the spring/detente housing for the slide lock/safety on my Colt and I understand Colt had issues with this in the late 80's early 90's.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    While only produced in limited runs, you can buy a Detonics Service Master for under $1000. Hard part is finding one. And the ultra modern Detonics MTX is only $1500.

On the other hand, which of your guns are made with foreign made frames and other forgings? The guns on my list don't include parts coming in by boat from obscure Pacific islands or profits being shipped to some European nation, etc.

Which of your guns have MIM parts and are you willing to trust your life to MIM parts?

:dunno:

Not looking to pick a fight with you. I don't disagree with your list. I would buy one of those if I had the coin. Just giving the OP some options. The guns I listed are not "my" guns.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Not so much that they are more likely to fail, but rather that they have a proven history of failure that is well documented.

Hey, how do you multi-quote like that melensdad? Forget it, I just figured it out. Now if I could just figure out how to completely delete a post, I would not have had to add to this one! :)

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Not so much that they are more likely to fail, but rather that they have a proven history of failure that is well documented.

Which some would interpret as evidence that the mim parts in the gun someone's about to buy are more likely to fail...

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I assume it would mostly be used for more intricate parts like frames?

No, for smaller parts like a grip safety or trigger.

I have personally experienced a MIM failure when a grip safety cracked into 2 pieces on a 1911 that I was shooting. Funny thing is that it is a low recoiling 9mm 1911 model, I can only imagine how many pieces it would have broken into had it been a 45acp.

357 Terms

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    Between SB and FT.W
    The thoughtless rejection of MIM parts reminds me of the thoughtless rejection of cast frames a few decades ago.

When made properly MIM is just as good (and sometimes better) as forged, and a lot cheaper to produce. MIM is not going anywhere. Better get use to it.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    The thoughtless rejection of MIM parts reminds me of the thoughtless rejection . . .

Sure, a MIM front sight might be fine, but they are making critical parts like grip safeties out of MIM and a 1911 won't fire with a broken grip safety.

So you may boldly proclaim that I'm mindlessly dismissing inferior parts (and they are inferior) but I'm not looking for the cheapest made parts, I'd prefer to stick with reliable parts. See post #16 where I stated I personally had a MIM part failure.

357 Terms

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    Between SB and FT.W
    So you may boldly proclaim that I'm mindlessly dismissing inferior parts (and they are inferior)

MIM parts are in applications that are critical to us in our everyday lives, airline engines, medical devices, I doubt they would be used in such instances if they were inferior.

You have your opinion, many people with a great knowledge of metalurgy don't agree.

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    Ed Brown
    Dan Wesson
    Wilson
    STI
    Colt for sentiment

There are loads of good 1911's out there today. There are loads of good smiths who builds on the basic 1911 into great guns.

Top Bottom