• ...and so much more!
  • farva118

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Lake County
    I have heard a lot of good about the Wilson Combat videos. I believe they have a series about making a 1911 combat ready. They also have a few about the nomenclature and design of the pistol as well. I've seen these videos on brownells.com

Hope this helps.

abrumlev

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    NE Indy
    I've got the Wilson Combat vids and I (21 yrs old) feel like I'm watching my parents' home videos from when they were 30 years old (no offense guys haha).

They're well put together tho! I havent had the chance to watch them all the way through but intend to soon.

silentvoice71

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    Ft Wayne IN
    ok thanks guys. I really want to build this handgun and give it to my daughter when shes old enough......I dont wanna buy a nice one a give it to her...i wanna put time and effort into it...

clgustaveson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    I've got the Wilson Combat vids and I (21 yrs old) feel like I'm watching my parents' home videos from when they were 30 years old (no offense guys haha).

They're well put together tho! I havent had the chance to watch them all the way through but intend to soon.

They are dated, but why reinvent the wheel... I think they are very well thought out.

silentvoice71

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    Ft Wayne IN
    anyone have and expierence building a 1911? I have a good machining background and i know my way around my tools i can read mics and calipers etc etc. Now is it a task that a man can complete in his basement without major tools such as mills lathes.

gunwh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    yea you can gut there again it all depends on how advanced of a build you are looking at. If your just going to do a basic build then yes, Just be careful when shopping for parts and make sure there is no milling required ( like some sights you get for the 1911need some mill work done to the slide in order to fit) Good luck and have fun!

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    The AGI videos have been pretty good for me so far, I only have the Mossberg 500 and the Glock vids right now.

I have two 1911s but I am too scared to do too much custom work to them. I am just not that knowledgeable on them yet.

I do love the idea of building a gun to give to your child though. I have thought that if I ever have a child I will buy parts slowly and build them a gun (probably a Glock since i could build it with my eyes closed) Have you ever thought about having your daughter be a part of the build? I obviously don't know her age or anything but I know that my ruger 10/22 will never leave me because my dad and I worked on it together and it holds a value that you can't put a price tag on. Just a thought and good luck on your build sir.

clgustaveson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    anyone have and expierence building a 1911? I have a good machining background and i know my way around my tools i can read mics and calipers etc etc. Now is it a task that a man can complete in his basement without major tools such as mills lathes.

Yes, its not hard at all but it does take patience.

They usually make parts large so you have fit them, some makers harden their parts much harder than others so diamond files and other items are a huge suggestion, remember getting into barrel positioning is one of the harder parts, make sure you understand what you are doing when you size and fit the barrel.

You should be good if you understand the tools.

Good luck, any questions I could help you with, just ask.

silentvoice71

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    Ft Wayne IN
    i love new tools lol....So if you have any suggestions on what kinda tools to buy. She hasnt been born yet.....lol this is my first kid and she will be born on the 23rd of march. Im excited. I plan on buying from fusion. buy a slide then buy a frame. the so on and so on.

aetucker1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    from everything that i have heard, you will not be saving money or end up with a better gun by building a 1911 yourself. Not to say that you shouldn't do so...but if those are your reasons, you might just consider spending your money on a quality 1911 and do a few things to it to make it "yours". You can get a VERY good quality 1911 for under $1000. I might be wrong, but building one for under that will not probably end up the way you want. not crapping on your parade...just trying to make sure that you weigh the options prior to dishing out the cash. if you are doing it for the fun of building your own gun....more power to ya and have fun. :rockwoot:

Last edited:

clgustaveson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    from everything that i have heard, you will not be saving money or end up with a better guy by building a 1911 yourself. Not to say that you shouldn't do so...but if those are your reasons, you might just consider spending your money on a quality 1911 and do a few things to it to make it "yours". You can get a VERY good quality 1911 for under $1000. I might be wrong, but building one for under that will not probably end up the way you want. not crapping on your parade...just trying to make sure that you weigh the options prior to dishing out the cash. if you are doing it for the fun of building your own gun....more power to ya and have fun. :rockwoot:
    This isn't completely true but can be...

I put together a very good gun with a rail 1911 single stack mix STI and wilson combat parts for under $800. I have put all the parts in a shopping cart on brownells for around $680 for a non railed frame.

IMHO you can do it for cheaper and make a better gun.

SUGGESTION if you take aetucker1's advice get a springfield Mil-Spec (it has a lowered and flared ejection port and a throated barrel already) and have fun.

aetucker1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    This isn't completely true but can be...

I put together a very good gun with a rail 1911 single stack mix STI and wilson combat parts for under $800. I have put all the parts in a shopping cart on brownells for around $680 for a non railed frame.

IMHO you can do it for cheaper and make a better gun.

SUGGESTION if you take aetucker1's advice get a springfield Mil-Spec (it has a lowered and flared ejection port and a throated barrel already) and have fun.

funny you mention that gun. that is exactly what I have and have been working on upgrading. great gun...but be aware that the frame to slide tolerances on it are a bit loose compared to other guns because of the "mil spec" aspect.

clgustaveson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    funny you mention that gun. that is exactly what I have and have been working on upgrading. great gun...but be aware that the frame to slide tolerances on it are a bit loose compared to other guns because of the "mil spec" aspect.

Which can be fixed, but it depends on what were looking into, why do you need tight tollerances? Are you building a target gun? If so, dont build it... The odds that you can build a precise machine better than those who have been doing it for decades (or some a century now) is slim to none.

You can tighten the frame up in the slide, thats not a huge deal, you will need to cut/file the frame to fit a high grip beaver tail, and I suspect you know the sights are simple 3-dot and those aren't the best target sights.

The advantages of the mil-spec is the throated barrel for a little more reliability and the lowered and flared ejection port make the ejection of the round less likely to hit you and/or FTE.

IF you want a GREAT defense weapon and you don't want to spend million dollars but want to learn the 1911 platform, I HIGHLY suggest the Springer Mil-Spec platform, the GI is a good platform too, but the barrel is not throated and the ejection port is standard high. (and the price difference is neglegable in some cases)

farva118

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Lake County
    See, I think the OP knows the advantages in buying an over the counter 1911. He WANTS to build this pistol for the sentimental value. He's not building a "self defense pistol" or a "target pistol", he's building his daughter's "Daddy's Pistol." And as a new father myself, I think this is a really cool idea.

Congrats Dad! Build on!

silentvoice71

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    Ft Wayne IN
    Farva118 you sir are right on the money. I have a 1911 that I use
    For self def. I have another handgun I carry. The gun I want to build
    For my daughter I want to function and shoot but I want it to be a
    Sentamental thing.

clgustaveson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Sentamental thing.

Ok, so the odds of your daughter carrying 1911 are slim (sorry I did miss that little response in there)

I would highly suggest using STI parts, they are not AS expensive as Wilson Combat stock replacement parts but IMHO after having used both, they are better quality.

That being said, it is easier to fit the innards if they are all from one manufacturer. Again, they are usually over-sized so they can fit into them all. Two of the exact same guns, one uses all Wilson Combat - everything fits fine - another gets mixed parts and fitting becomes an issue.

I have learned a lot simply from scewing up - Any mistake you make while building your own gun is going to be relatively cheap to fix so and my suggestion since you are waiting for her to be old enough, let crap get screwed up (let qualify this by saying some parts such as the sear spring are VERY temperamental and must be handled properly for safety).

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Sentamental thing.

That is a nice idea. I imagine it will become a family heirloom one day.

Top Bottom