• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cherrythief

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2012
    Hey there! I have a Wilson combat extended thumb safety that I needed fitted for my Remington R1, and the file I have just won't do the job and I don't want to screw up the new part (if I haven't already!), so I'm looking for someone around northwest indiana that would be able to do it for me and quote me a price. Thanks!

Phone: 219-545-3578 text message preferred

email: nuke_the_trees@yahoo.com

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    What type of trouble are you having in fitting it? When I've done them, I don't use a file, but a fine stone instead. It takes a while that way, but better too slow than too fast. Also, are you using layout dye like Dykem? It helps a lot in letting you see where you are getting contact.

Cherrythief

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2012
    The safety isn't engaging properly; it won't go into the safe position, but it will move partially up. I don't have any dye, either.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Why do you want to use a thumb safety on a 1911? Just more to bother with. I guess maybe there's something to having it work as specified, but I want mine ready to go bang when I pull it out.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    In a pinch, you may be able to use a Sharpie in place of the layout dye if you want to keep trying. Unfortunately, I don't know who the good gunsmiths are up at your end of the state.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Why do you want to use a thumb safety on a 1911? Just more to bother with. I guess maybe there's something to having it work as specified, but I want mine ready to go bang when I pull it out.

The fastest shooters in the world use 1911 style safeties properly as designed. It's irresponsible to suggest not using the thumb safety on a 1911.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Well good for them. I'm not suggesting anything as such, I just don't find it useful myself, and while it's hard to read the subtleties of history, I've been of the understanding that the thumb safety was added due to a requirement by the military.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ... I've been of the understanding that the thumb safety was added due to a requirement by the military.

Here is a very interesting thread over on THR that gives a historical rundown of the military and the 1911 with references and commentary. It pretty clearly addresses the direction and outcome of the military's input into the thumb safety issue: Designed to be carried Cocked and Locked: Not! - THR

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    So, it was designed according to specifications given by a committee that wasn't going to be using it themselves but decided it should be carried hammer down, first on a full chamber (!), later on an empty one, and the safety was there to engage during reholstering after actual use by cavalry riding on horses. The cavalry just wanted to keep their revolvers. Then the philosophy evolved toward use by personnel with such minimal pistol training they can't clear a stovepipe. Cleared all that right up! :dunno:

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Cleared all that right up! :dunno:
    In the patent for the design, JMB referred to the half cock as "The Safety Position"...so initially it was intended as a safety shelf to keep the hammer from resting on the firing pin.

HOWEVER, the patent was 1910.
    The predecessor to the 1911 was the model 1910 which was exactly the same as the 1911 with one exception... NO thumb safety.
    Having the pistol in hand, the only way to have it on "safe" was using that half cock notch.

With the addition of the thumb safety there is currently NO reason whatsoever to ever lower the hammer slowly on a live round or to the half cock shelf as a "safety".

Pics;

1910:
    colt+1910.jpg

1911:
    Colt+1911+older.jpg

Top Bottom