• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • averycustom

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    Have you considered a good kydex? I used Milt Sparks leather for 20 years but recently switched to Raven Concealment which is just really excellent gear in combination with a Wilderness belt.

Regards,

Mark

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I went to Blythe's a couple of weeks ago and picked up a Galco with a thumb break for $68 + tax, they had a good selection. I really like Galco,and that' s a whole lot cheaper than Mid West.

Archer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I mainly use a Desantis Speed Scabbard which has been working well so far for me. It depends mainly on what kind of holster you're looking for

wrzr21

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2013
    West Lafayette/South Bend
    I mainly use a Desantis Speed Scabbard which has been working well so far for me. It depends mainly on what kind of holster you're looking for

I was just think a good outside the waistband holster. The most important thing is that the material won't wear heavily on the finish of my Trojan. It isn't the most durable finish out there lol

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I use a couple different ones depending on which 1911 I'm carrying. Right now I'm sitting out on the patio of an establishment in Irvington with a compact 1911 (Bill Wilson Carry) in an Occidental Leatherworks holster that is essentially a Milt Sparks VM2 copy. I use a Summer Special usually for my Government Model 1911s except for some pistol games where I use a Bladetech DOH. You really are going to have to just find what works well for you.

daspurlock

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    I know its not leather, but I use a Garrett Industry STX Thunder. It's kydex with leather linnig. Its a great holster and will last a life time and so far has been easy on the finnish.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    The best holsters I own are Kramer Scabbards in horsehide. They hold the gun nice and high and keep it tucked in nicely. They are expensive ($126ish) and the wait is long (at least 3 months with the last one ordered), but they are worth it.

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    I have to go with Kramer. I have some horsehide holsters made by him about 25 years ago that still hold there shape. My IWB made for a custom Colt Officers Model has about 18 years of almost every day carry. The finish looks like 5 miles of bad rode but the holster still stays open for re-holstering. If you can, buy one of his horsehide belts. I have a new Double Thick Gun Belt - Horsehide on order even at $142.00. My last one lasted 21 years. The belt is still good leather the buckle broke the leather holding it. If I could wear it 4" shorter I would cut the thin part off and reattach the buckle. I'll use it for my grandson when he is ready to play SASS.

Jeffrey

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Central Indiana
    One of my friends told me about S&S holsters. He had ordered black with sharkskin trim, and I went with the more basic brown. We both ordered the IWB vm2 copy and are extremely pleased. Very fine craftsmanship. HOMEPAGE

11-B

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    I just got myself an STI Trojan a couple weeks ago and I am wondering what would be a good leather holster to get for it

Crossbreed super tuck.....I cc a full size 1911 and the holster is ****!!!

blueboxer

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 15, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Have you considered a good kydex? I used Milt Sparks leather for 20 years but recently switched to Raven Concealment which is just really excellent gear in combination with a Wilderness belt.

Regards,

Mark

Do you have other recommendations? I don't want to hijack the OP's thread, although I'm also looking for a good IWB holster for a railed 1911 as well. I prefer kydex since (if it's made right) it's thinner than a leather holster. Many of the models I've found though, Raven included, seem like they ride pretty high which is a no go for me. Thoughts?

UnionPmedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    NW Indiana
    I have many holsters for my 1911. I started with the Uncle Mikes inside the waste holsters (junk).
    Tried a small of the back holster from Gould and Goodrich

Gould & Goodrich | 806 // Small of Back Holster

It's well made, but I don't like that someone could come up behind me and take it.
    Next was the Yaqui holster from G & G. It's well made and has held up for years. I use it for CC with a shirt over it. It really will not conceal your weapon, but it is comfortable.

Gould & Goodrich | 801 // Yaqui Slide Holster

I also have a Crossbreed SuperTuck that I use almost as often as the Yaqui. It's great for concealment and very comfortable.

SuperTuck® Deluxe | CrossBreed® Holsters - SuperTuck® Deluxe

You're going to have to try a few to see if they work for you. Maybe find someone local you can borrow one from and take it for a test drive. One other thing I would add; you get what you pay for.

Top Bottom