• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • baldguy637

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Montgomery County
    My father and i were talking the other day about hunting small game and the occasional coyote we see while out in the squirrel woods. We both use a .22 for small game hunting, but are limited on range and accuracy.

I hunt with a 10/22 carbine, and was originally looking to upgrade the barrel, stock and trigger to squeeze all i can get out of her. After looking at my options the total cost would be near what i could buy a new rifle in .17 or .22mag for.

Most of the shots are in the 30-80 yard range with a few crows and groundhogs out a little farther. I'm wanting a solid 100-150yd tackdriver, lets say in the 350-500 range.

What say you? :popcorn:

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    For the yardages your talking about you can't go wrong either way. The .17hmr has a flatter trajectory and is accurate as all get out. The Savage with the accu-trigger is the way to go with this one.

Now, a light weight bull barrel and a Hogue stock or the like would be nice for a custom 10-22. Just get the Volquartsen hammer and that all you need to get the trigger down to 2 1/2 pounds although if your in the mood, you can mod up the trigger to your hearts content and pocket book.

.17hmr ammo isn't cheap but if you mod up a 10-22 then the match ammo for it isn't much cheaper although you can still shoot bulk with a minimal loss of accuracy.

Tough decision but I think you would be happy either way. AH HECK, buy the .17 hmr and mod up the 10-22. I know that's what I would end up doing! :D

nova512

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    west side of indy
    i have both and love both,17hmr ammo is around 3-4 dollars more a box then 22 mag but the 17 is a hoot to fire super accurate.its up to you but i would go with the 17 hmr.

kboom524

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    New Haven
    For the yardages your talking about you can't go wrong either way. The .17hmr has a flatter trajectory and is accurate as all get out. The Savage with the accu-trigger is the way to go with this one.

Now, a light weight bull barrel and a Hogue stock or the like would be nice for a custom 10-22. Just get the Volquartsen hammer and that all you need to get the trigger down to 2 1/2 pounds although if your in the mood, you can mod up the trigger to your hearts content and pocket book.

.17hmr ammo isn't cheap but if you mod up a 10-22 then the match ammo for it isn't much cheaper although you can still shoot bulk with a minimal loss of accuracy.

Tough decision but I think you would be happy either way. AH HECK, buy the .17 hmr and mod up the 10-22. I know that's what I would end up doing! :D

:+1:Love my Savage .17 HMR and my 10/22. I did end up doing them both. For longer ranges the .17 is better, but modding up my 10/22 was almost as much fun as shooting it

sajnaj

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 12, 2010
    bfe rockville in
    i like the 17hmr but i have always thought that in a windy condition the 22mag would do better but i tend to favor my 22 mag because i can get the ammo alot cheaper then a 17hmr

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    CZ 455

Take a look at the new CZ 455. A buddy just bought one at Whittaker's with .22lr and .17 HMR barrels. It comes with everything you need to change calibers and it looks like the barrel swap is pretty easy.

awittmer

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Batesville
    Def. go for the .17hmr, you can pick up better distance and accuracy. I use mine for coyote hunting all the time. and it gets the job done just fine and dandy!

Dss21

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    If you like your 10/22 and your willing to spend the $500 you could almost have a 2nd 10/22 in .22mag for not much more money.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I have been unable to take to the .17HMR. Yes it will fly faster and truer than a .22MWR however, I personally prefer the .22MWR because it packs more punch. I have found that the V-max bullets do help improve the accuracy of the .22MWR. As for the rifle, for the money I do not think you can beat a Savage. I own a MKIIFV and it is by far way more accurate then I'm. My :twocents:

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    build a 10/17HM2.....shoots like a laser.....crows and coons hate mine...Single Six in 17hm2 too...

2q3vtw3.jpg

baldguy637

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Montgomery County
    i like the 17hmr but i have always thought that in a windy condition the 22mag would do better but i tend to favor my 22 mag because i can get the ammo alot cheaper then a 17hmr

.22WMR....a .17HMR isn't gonna do anything for a coyote...not enough energy.

I have been unable to take to the .17HMR. Yes it will fly faster and truer than a .22MWR however, I personally prefer the .22MWR because it packs more punch. I have found that the V-max bullets do help improve the accuracy of the .22MWR. As for the rifle, for the money I do not think you can beat a Savage. I own a MKIIFV and it is by far way more accurate then I'm. My :twocents:

Think i've found the best of both worlds! Stopped in a local gun shop today to see if they had a .17. The guy working told me he had a lnib 77/22mag all-weather in his personal collection he'd let go for a good price. He's had it for a few years and siad he'd put 50 rounds down te barrel. With hte price he gave me i could buy a .17 barrel and have both for around the same cost as a new 77/17 :D

Then i would have every cartridge i mentioned above :rockwoot:

kboom524

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    New Haven
    Think i've found the best of both worlds! Stopped in a local gun shop today to see if they had a .17. The guy working told me he had a lnib 77/22mag all-weather in his personal collection he'd let go for a good price. He's had it for a few years and siad he'd put 50 rounds down te barrel. With hte price he gave me i could buy a .17 barrel and have both for around the same cost as a new 77/17 :D

Then i would have every cartridge i mentioned above :rockwoot:

Sounds like you found the perfect solution. I have a 77/22 in 22lr that is the best shooting 22 I own. If that 77/17 shoots anything like mine you will be very happy with it.

AccuRat

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    Just north of nowhere...
    .22WMR....a .17HMR isn't gonna do anything for a coyote...not enough energy.

Not lookin' to start a fight, but how many have you shot with one?. I've dropped them flat at ranges up to 140 yards using both the 20g and 17g bullets and killed prairie dogs out to 255. The laser-like trajectory and "zap" factor of the .17HMR cannot be denied. Anywhere from 400-500 fps over the .22 Mag (actual chronograph numbers, not factory numbers), depending on the load.

About 7 or 8 years ago, I was ready to buy a .22 Mag, but opted for the CZ452 in .17HMR. In the 8-10 thousand rounds I've fired at paper, rocks, coyotes, prairie dogs, woodchucks, etc., not once did I wish I had a .22 Mag.

NOW, that's out west where the song dogs are a little smaller. I think the biggest dog I killed was 31 pounds, pretty big for a western coyote. East of the Big Miss, where a big dog will go 55+ pounds, a .22 Mag might be a better choice and a Hornet or .223 even better. But that's for another thread...sorry for the side bar.

Get a .17HMR CZ and an old beater 10/22 to customize.

Top Bottom