1500 yards of field+levy doesn't equal a safe backstop?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Had a rather rude police officer show up on my property today while I was sighting a scope in, out in my neighbor's field. (which I have their permission while the crops aren't planted.)

He tried to tell me that in the mud, a 308 from a 16" barrel is still "ultra deadly and lethal" after ricocheting and will travel 2.5 miles and kill someone. (Over the massive levy and through the forest.)

He informed me that I needed a backstop... I had one, it's called a mound of dirt, which he recommended building but conveniently neglected to notice throughout the encounter.

I've been shooting in this location all my life and I've NEVER had a cop show up and try to pull this. 20 years of shooting there and I've only normally had a wave from the local police. But this time, never a polite word spoken, and before he left he even had the nerve to say I shouldn't be buying any more ammo if there's any chance of shooting there again.

Can someone explain what's changed in the laws so recently that's given police a right to do such a thing?

IndianaGTI

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   1
    May 2, 2010
    Everyone has a right to give you his opinion. In fact, everyone has an opinion. I would call his supervisor and discuss the matter in a calm manner. Chances are that there have been numerous complaints against an officer who so readily offers his opinion.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    It's called the Heckler's Veto.

He saw you doing something that he did not like but which was legal (e.g. open carry or speech) and he tried to intimidate you into not doing what he did not like.

I'd put on a coat and time and ask for a face to face with the Chief or Sheriff. No reason to tolerate that behavior from your employee.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    North West Indiana
    They cant ban you from shooting on private property. Heck even in the HNF you can target practice so long as you are following their safety guidelines of which i am not well enough versed to quote. i would say shoot away and issue a complaint with his superiors.

Fireaxes

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2010
    Wabash County
    Seems kind of odd that they would, people have been out in that field shooting geese for the past 4 weeks, without a cop ever showing up.

Shouldn't be a neighbor then. Who knows, guy might have been nearby on patrol and decided he needed to lecture you.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    He should have known better than that, Its privat property, I would have been very upset if a cop did that to me( when clearly not breaking any laws). But sounds like you did a good job of keeping a cool head!

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    Seems kind of odd that they would, people have been out in that field shooting geese for the past 4 weeks, without a cop ever showing up.

With a agricultural depredation permit I hope otherwise it is a violation of federal migratory bird laws.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Me? I would say "yes sir, Mr Police Officer". "You might want to put some ears on because this rifle is loud. "

I would then get back into position and keep shooting.

He can leave, stay, I don't much care. As long as I am on private property and am not committing a crime or infraction he can do whatever he wants to.

Kinda like the Police Officer that told me that I shouldn't clean my rifle on the back step because it might alarm somebody. I told him yes sir, we sure don't want to alarm anybody. As I kept cleaning my rifle......

Now, I have nothing but respect for Police Officers and the difficult job that they do. I spent 12 years wearing a badge myself. But glaring stupidity should not be blindly obeyed.

Whining, I mean complaining to the Officer's boss later is not my style.

JMHO

Last edited:

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    Whining, I mean complaining to the Officer's boss later is not my style.
    Calling in to speak with the Chief to find out what was actually done wrong by the OP is an option. If Chief says "nothing", then say thank you and plug away. If he mentions a new law that you are not aware of, then research and fix it, then shoot away.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Were you shooting at targets at 1500 yds?

Personally, I like my backstop as close behind the target as is feasable. I'll kiss your rump if a muddy field won't pull a bullet down like a black hole, but a rock in that muddy field could cause a problem. If its possible, I'd get closer to the levy. If that isn't feasible I'd tell the nosy prick to go pound sand.:D

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    I am not doing any shooting without a backstop directly behind my target.
    And for what it is worth a bullet will take the path of least resistance. They will most definitely ricochet off dirt,mud,water ect. Something to think about. A day of fun shooting isn't worth prison time IMO. You happen to loose a round off across the country side and kill someone you are probably going to do some time. Recall the gunsmith test firing a .45 in Morgan County and ended up killing a guy that was sleeping on his couch 1/4 of a mile away. Scares me.

That was no reason for the officer to be rude for sure.

It sounds like the OP has a a-- for a neighbor like I do. Mine called my chief and homeowners insurance agent about my shooting on my property with a shooting backstop. It didn't do him any good. Heck I just shoot more now.

Be careful guys.

redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    I think you should keep shooting. If he shows up again, tell him that he can lick ****. You are not in city limits, you are on private property, and you have a backstop, thus not a potential threat to anyone. Be sure to have a video camera next time, and some ASSault rifles too!

Top Bottom