• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    I have yet to figure out the format and how to understand the subguns.com and sturm.com forums. But aside from that, I wouldn't be surprised one bit.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    136   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    That is not what I wanted to read first waking up, but I wouldnt doubt it. Seems I may never see my items.

mik1202002

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Feb 12, 2009
    Greencastle
    I was wanting to start my first form, but after reading the timeline thread and waiting a year it's just hard to justify tying my money up that long. Now it sounds like it's getting worse :(. Is the lengthy wait to discourage people for sending in forms and or to cut sales for manufacturers of class III items?

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I was wanting to start my first form, but after reading the timeline thread and waiting a year it's just hard to justify tying my money up that long. Now it sounds like it's getting worse :(. Is the lengthy wait to discourage people for sending in forms and or to cut sales for manufacturers of class III items?

If this is true, probably both. There is no reason, even as understaffed as they seem to be and as tied to a really stupid, manual process as they are, for the processing to take this long. I have to believe this would be an intentional slow down to try to kill the NFA industry and hobby. We had just gotten it back down to 6 months and now we are supposed to believe it has ballooned again to 15 months? I know there was an uptick in sales, but not that much.

Booya

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Fort Fun
    If this is true, probably both. There is no reason, even as understaffed as they seem to be and as tied to a really stupid, manual process as they are, for the processing to take this long. I have to believe this would be an intentional slow down to try to kill the NFA industry and hobby. We had just gotten it back down to 6 months and now we are supposed to believe it has ballooned again to 15 months? I know there was an uptick in sales, but not that much.

I think you might be quite surprised at the uptick in sales. I don't recall where the numbers I once read came from but it's basically doubled and tripled in the last 3-4 years. all while not adding any real increase in staff or improvement in process. For example, the 6 people that processed 300,000 forms 2-3 years ago are doing well over 1,000,000 this year. I know the numbers are out there, obviously I don't have them in front of me, but it's pretty staggering. Especially when you multiple the number of forms by ($)200.... That's a lot of $$, where does it all go? It certainly doesn't towards NFA otherwise we'd have an online system that scanned retinas and approved you in a day!

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    I'm at work and don't have my suppressor's serial # saved to my phone but can somebody call to confirm that it is 15 months? I called less than a week ago and was told 9.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    I'm at work and don't have my suppressor's serial # saved to my phone but can somebody call to confirm that it is 15 months? I called less than a week ago and was told 9.

Im calling later, when I called last week they were telling me "90 Days" from my second pending, which would put me at 9 months almost exactly. That would also be for my paperwork to be approved this week, new submissions are probably much longer.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I was wanting to start my first form, but after reading the timeline thread and waiting a year it's just hard to justify tying my money up that long. Now it sounds like it's getting worse...

So a year ago you didn't buy something you wanted because the wait was so long? And now you're disapointed the wait is even longer? You realize if you had pulled the trigger it would be in your posession right now? That's America for you... land of the instant gratification.

while the process sucks, and is unconstitutional IMO, you've given the anti's exactly what they wanted.... the law influenced you to not get something you have a right to, which was exactly the intent when it was created (well, the $200 was certainly to influence avoiding the process, the long wait for the BG check and registry procsesing is bonus).

-rvb

mik1202002

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Feb 12, 2009
    Greencastle
    So a year ago you didn't buy something you wanted because the wait was so long? And now you're disapointed the wait is even longer? You realize if you had pulled the trigger it would be in your posession right now? That's America for you... land of the instant gratification.

while the process sucks, and is unconstitutional IMO, you've given the anti's exactly what they wanted.... the law influenced you to not get something you have a right to, which was exactly the intent when it was created (well, the $200 was certainly to influence avoiding the process, the long wait for the BG check and registry procsesing is bonus).

-rvb

No I wanted to start the process about a month ago. But the wait in the NFA timeline thread seemed to be about a year and now I'm disappointed to hear it could be even longer

Whitsettd8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Floyd Co
    I ordered my YHM 300 in March my check was cashed 4/9 I have yet to call and see where I stand the wait isn't all that bad. It's given me time to have my rifle threaded upgrade the rings and bases and I guess I'll upgrade the scope while I wait out my next 2-? months. When it's all said and done I'll have a pretty sweet setup with higher end components then I would had if I had gotten that instant gratification. If I had a host gun ready to go it might be bad I'll let you know when I order my 5.56 can the first of the year. Another thing I noticed is I buy sell and trade lots of guns never really hanging onto too much for too long. Knowing that can is coming has made me hold onto some things longer.

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    I guess if you submit them in September, you will have an early Christmas next year.

Unfortunately, if they eliminate the alternative sign off avenues like a trust, then the volume of sales will likely go down significantly. Many CLEO's will not do their job and simply perform a local background check and sign off on the form verifying that a local background check was done. Many seem to think they are personally giving you authority to buy it and will be held liable for anything that might be done with it. Once this happens, many people will not be able to even begin the process locally. At this point, we need to suggest that the process either eliminate the local sign off all together, or simply request you have the local LE do a background check on yourself like many companies request and enclose it in the application. I know, we can dream they will change the system towards a sane process. Best of course would simply be to eliminate all background checks, and hold a person responsible for something they do wrong as opposed to having the ability to do something wrong.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    I guess if you submit them in September, you will have an early Christmas next year.

Unfortunately, if they eliminate the alternative sign off avenues like a trust, then the volume of sales will likely go down significantly. Many CLEO's will not do their job and simply perform a local background check and sign off on the form verifying that a local background check was done. Many seem to think they are personally giving you authority to buy it and will be held liable for anything that might be done with it. Once this happens, many people will not be able to even begin the process locally. At this point, we need to suggest that the process either eliminate the local sign off all together, or simply request you have the local LE do a background check on yourself like many companies request and enclose it in the application. I know, we can dream they will change the system towards a sane process. Best of course would simply be to eliminate all background checks, and hold a person responsible for something they do wrong as opposed to having the ability to do something wrong.

You do know that this isn't "their job" either, right? Some LEO's take it upon themselves to do background checks, but it is not required, and it's redundant. My chief just signs them, no background check.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Well, just picked up my Form 4 paperwork from BGF for my Osprey 45 (that I ordered almost 2 months ago). I'll try to get them into IMPD on Monday, with hopefully the forms back and mailed the following week. This is going to be a painful wait. :-(

Top Bottom